Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 10:24 PM

16,011 posts, read 21,025,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
You need to put up a sign.
We get the same kind of nonsense and we are not allowed to put up 'non approved' signage, but really we shouldn't need to.
It shouldn't have to be spelled out to people to not use hundred dollar bills for purchases under $5, especially not first thing in the morning at a small business. Frequently hear "Sorry, that's what they gave me at the bank" and it's like dude, take it to a teller and tell them you want twenties for pete's sake, we aren't here to break your big bills, we only have a few hundred in twenties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 10:48 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,302,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
We get the same kind of nonsense and we are not allowed to put up 'non approved' signage, but really we shouldn't need to.
It shouldn't have to be spelled out to people to not use hundred dollar bills for purchases under $5, especially not first thing in the morning at a small business. Frequently hear "Sorry, that's what they gave me at the bank" and it's like dude, take it to a teller and tell them you want twenties for pete's sake, we aren't here to break your big bills, we only have a few hundred in twenties!
Yes, exactly. I'm a fan of signs myself, but yes to me it should be common knowledge to ASK before you spring a $100 bill on someone over a $3 purchase first thing in the morning. Hello?

Old 09-15-2016, 01:15 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Common knowledge is in short supply these days. For example, I've seen far too many AYCE buffets with signs saying you're not allowed to share food with those who didn't opt in on the buffet, and you can't take food home. Besides, some folks really don't know about how businesses are run.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:17 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,963,465 times
My feelings on this are mixed, though in practice chances are, if you don't take cash, you don't get my business. I can see the benefits for a business not accepting cash, but I have one card and it is my Paypal Debit card. I have to go and grab a Paypal MyCash card to load up my Paypal for that to work, and I do that for my bills every month, but when it comes to day to day purchases, unless the cost at where ever is only worth the extra couple bucks that sits on my Paypal after bills, I only have cash, and I'm not going to spend the fee to load up my card just so some place doesn't have to take cash.

Now this may change in the future if Paypal gets an option to direct deposit into it, and I will more steadily have money sitting in it, but as it stands, take cash or lose my business because I don't have a regular card.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:30 AM

5,214 posts, read 2,988,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
My feelings on this are mixed, though in practice chances are, if you don't take cash, you don't get my business. I can see the benefits for a business not accepting cash, but I have one card and it is my Paypal Debit card. I have to go and grab a Paypal MyCash card to load up my Paypal for that to work, and I do that for my bills every month, but when it comes to day to day purchases, unless the cost at where ever is only worth the extra couple bucks that sits on my Paypal after bills, I only have cash, and I'm not going to spend the fee to load up my card just so some place doesn't have to take cash.

Now this may change in the future if Paypal gets an option to direct deposit into it, and I will more steadily have money sitting in it, but as it stands, take cash or lose my business because I don't have a regular card.

There is one already.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
There is one already.
I should have specified, no idea why I didn't. I have the PayPal Business debit card, not the PayPal Prepaid debit. There is an option to deposit into the prepaid version, but not mine, which pulls directly from my PayPal account. My card has no fees, and has a 1% cash back program on it, but the prepaid has a bunch of fees that I don't agree to, such as a monthly, and transaction fees.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:01 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:
take cash or lose my business because I don't have a regular card.
Not specifically pointing to you but businesses who go to credit / debit card only option have done ( or should have done) analysis of how much of their business is cash only, how many will switch to a card of cash is not accepted, how many will walk away and what is the revenue that will be lost. This has to be balanced against the costs for taking cash ( counting at end of day, depositing, extra security, risk of armed robbery, employee theft and so on).

If it balances out ar there is not much loss in dropping the cash option, they will do it. Just like Fedex has done. You need Fedex more than they need you, is their thinking when they went to card only option.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:37 AM

4,315 posts, read 3,977,154 times
I like the gas station on a busy street in a nearby city that has 2 prices for gas posted on a big sign.

The top price is the same price as any other chain on that busy street.
The bottom price is 3 cents lower and reads....CASH PRICE

His smaller station is so crowded I usually can't wait in line to get his discount.

He and his customers love his policy on accepting cash and offering a discount.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Not specifically pointing to you but businesses who go to credit / debit card only option have done ( or should have done) analysis of how much of their business is cash only, how many will switch to a card of cash is not accepted, how many will walk away and what is the revenue that will be lost. This has to be balanced against the costs for taking cash ( counting at end of day, depositing, extra security, risk of armed robbery, employee theft and so on).

If it balances out ar there is not much loss in dropping the cash option, they will do it. Just like Fedex has done. You need Fedex more than they need you, is their thinking when they went to card only option.
Like I said, I get it. But in reality for me, I don't have a regular bank account. I have PayPal, and have to spend $4 to load it up every time I want money in it. If and when they ever add direct deposit, I will try to make sure there is plenty in there so I have the extra on my card to use at such a place. But for now, let's use the ice cream shop example that was earlier on this thread. Chances are, if it's like the places near me, me going there with my wife and son is going to come out to about $6 or $7. So yeah, I'm walking away because for me it makes no sense to spend over half the cost of the ice cream to go load up money onto my PayPal account so I can use my card.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:11 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,657,844 times
Quote:
Like I said, I get it. But in reality for me, I don't have a regular bank account. I have PayPal, and have to spend $4 to load it up every time I want money in it. If and when they ever add direct deposit, I will try to make sure there is plenty in there so I have the extra on my card to use at such a place. But for now, let's use the ice cream shop example that was earlier on this thread. Chances are, if it's like the places near me, me going there with my wife and son is going to come out to about $6 or $7. So yeah, I'm walking away because for me it makes no sense to spend over half the cost of the ice cream to go load up money onto my PayPal account so I can use my card.
I agree that in the case of ice cream you will walk away. If you want to send by Fedex you might have to either load the card or use UPS or post office.

I help a person with his liquor store business. Liquor stores have high risk for armed robberies and many a business owner or seller has died from gun shot wounds. Making such a business card only will mitigate the risk. The thieves want cash, not a liquor bottle.

When we look at the sales 60 % are sold to bars who pay by cheque or an electronic form of payment. Of the remaining 40 % store sales 50-60 % is via cards and 40 % is cash. The cash buying public may not switch to a card in 50 % of cases. That non switchable portion is still significant that the owner persists with cash option, with all the hassles and risk of having cash transactions. A small bonus is the amount saved by not paying the 2 % to the credit card company.

Last edited by kamban; 09-16-2016 at 12:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products