Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 07:17 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Ahhhh, the check people. At my store they don't have to fill out anything on a check. The check reader fills out everything and they sign on the card reader. I tell people they don't have to fill out the check but they insist "That's how *I* do it!". Okay, take your time and hold everyone up while...as you say..."I fill out my register and deduct...". lol Luckily for me I have lots of patience and can laugh at us human beings most of the time.
Yup!
Even when told that the cashier can simply insert the blank check into his/her cash register and that everything except the signature will be printed automatically, some of these people balk at that service.

But, getting back to cash, let us not forget the...ultimate..."convenience" of cash, namely the need to go to a bank or ATM on a regular basis in order to replenish the cash supply. I used to work with a woman who refused to sign up for direct deposit, and would give up her lunch hour in order to stand in line at the bank in order to deposit part of the check and to take some of it in cash.

Then, less than a week later, she would be back at the bank or ATM in order to get more cash--because she paid for almost everything with cash. That withdrawal process would be repeated every few days, thus causing her to spend a lot more time, and to use a lot more gas, than would have been necessary if she had simply signed up for direct deposit and then paid her bills online.

The only places where I ever use cash are the car wash and the barber shop. Everything else--including utility bills--is paid online, either with a credit card or by debit from my checking account. As a result, my bank visits are limited to...maybe...once every couple of months, when I need to deposit/cash a check that I have received in the mail.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 07:45 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
This is why I pay with my phone now. To heck with the chip card. So slow, it's like writing checks.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:48 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My husband received his CC with the chip months ago and for the first time ever last month, someone supposedly used his CC at a Lord & Taylor store. My guess is the second transaction happening quickly after the first one thankfully set off the fraud alert.
Yes, as long as mag stripe is still on the card it's subject to being counterfeit and I would guess the card was used as swipe transaction or manually entered at the terminal at L&T. And as you saw, these types of transactions are watched VERY closely and shut down quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Now---let's say that they had his CC info before the chip stuff. Once he activated the card with the chip, the other information should've been rendered useless. But because so many places still have people swiping, it doesn't matter.
Not all cards were re-issued with new account numbers. Issuers kept account numbers the same due to customer feedback, if new account numbers are issued customers have to change all their pre-authorized charges (such as cable, cell phone, etc) that are set up. Believe me issuers get a lot of flack from customers because of this. Issuers have largely re-issued new account numbers only to cards that were known to be compromised. The benefit to the bank is they are no longer liable for that fraud. The liability for fraud rests with whoever has the weakest security in the transactions. If it's a swiped transaction the merchant is liable for the loss. The bank is only liable for CHIP transactions and this is essentially zero, exception being for loss/stolen cards (or account takeovers).

Old 09-30-2016, 05:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yup!
Even when told that the cashier can simply insert the blank check into his/her cash register and that everything except the signature will be printed automatically, some of these people balk at that service.

But, getting back to cash, let us not forget the...ultimate..."convenience" of cash, namely the need to go to a bank or ATM on a regular basis in order to replenish the cash supply. I used to work with a woman who refused to sign up for direct deposit, and would give up her lunch hour in order to stand in line at the bank in order to deposit part of the check and to take some of it in cash.

Then, less than a week later, she would be back at the bank or ATM in order to get more cash--because she paid for almost everything with cash. That withdrawal process would be repeated every few days, thus causing her to spend a lot more time, and to use a lot more gas, than would have been necessary if she had simply signed up for direct deposit and then paid her bills online.

The only places where I ever use cash are the car wash and the barber shop. Everything else--including utility bills--is paid online, either with a credit card or by debit from my checking account. As a result, my bank visits are limited to...maybe...once every couple of months, when I need to deposit/cash a check that I have received in the mail.

I wish more people would go to the ATM instead of treating my register like their 'bank'. First thing after I open my drawer somebody is going to want $100 cash back. That's half my drawer. And they readily admit they do it so as to avoid the ATM/bank. Okay, Welcome to the bank of Walmart!

I always have 'some' cash on me because I really hate using ANY card for less than $10. I do love my direct deposits and online banking. I think I've actually gone into the bank once this year. I do use the bank ATM sometimes when I need cash for things like paying my handyman, etc..

Last edited by AZDesertBrat; 09-30-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is why I pay with my phone now. To heck with the chip card. So slow, it's like writing checks.

I've had a few people pay with their cell phones but not many even know about it yet. Still can't get used to not having a paper receipt to hand to them. I don't think the chip cards are nearly as slow as writing checks and some are faster than others. Depends on what you want to do. If it doesn't require a PIN, a signature or cash back, it's pretty fast.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:09 PM

22,590 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
I wish more people would go to the ATM instead of treating my register like their 'bank'. First thing after I open my drawer somebody is going to want $100 cash back.
If your store allows that, you can't get mad at the customer for the cash back.
The most I can get anywhere (at the stores I frequent) is $40. Most are $20.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
Yes, as long as mag stripe is still on the card it's subject to being counterfeit and I would guess the card was used as swipe transaction or manually entered at the terminal at L&T. And as you saw, these types of transactions are watched VERY closely and shut down quickly.

Not all cards were re-issued with new account numbers. Issuers kept account numbers the same due to customer feedback, if new account numbers are issued customers have to change all their pre-authorized charges (such as cable, cell phone, etc) that are set up. Believe me issuers get a lot of flack from customers because of this. Issuers have largely re-issued new account numbers only to cards that were known to be compromised. The benefit to the bank is they are no longer liable for that fraud. The liability for fraud rests with whoever has the weakest security in the transactions. If it's a swiped transaction the merchant is liable for the loss. The bank is only liable for CHIP transactions and this is essentially zero, exception being for loss/stolen cards (or account takeovers).

When I got both my credit and debit chip cards I was issued new numbers and neither has ever been 'compromised'. My credit card came with a bank issued PIN as well. I called to ask if I had to use it or if I could use my own and never did get an answer. The guy I talked to...in what country, I don't know...just kept wanting to explain how the card 'worked'. So far I haven't had to use a PIN with it anyway.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
If your store allows that, you can't get mad at the customer for the cash back.
The most I can get anywhere (at the stores I frequent) is $40. Most are $20.

I don't get mad at them but it's a little annoying when I first open a drawer. Later in the shift I couldn't care less. I can get more money...eventually. But when I have to give someone $60 in fives and ones it depletes my 'supply' pretty fast. The store has no option but to "allow" it since they are using their debit card cash back option.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:27 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,093 times
Quote:
When I got both my credit and debit chip cards I was issued new numbers and neither has ever been 'compromised'. My credit card came with a bank issued PIN as well. I called to ask if I had to use it or if I could use my own and never did get an answer. The guy I talked to...in what country, I don't know...just kept wanting to explain how the card 'worked'. So far I haven't had to use a PIN with it anyway.
There are times when banks are aware of your card being subject to compromise and you may not be aware. Having been in the industry, there is a compromise event quite frequently, not all make the news. As for the PIN, that's usually issued for use at ATM so you can do a cash advance.

Old 10-01-2016, 12:23 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I wipe the magnetic strip from my credit cards (you can also cover with a strip of aluminum tape) to prevent skimming. If the establishment doesn't have a chip enabled reader yet after all this time, they don't deserve my business.

My financial institution can also provide a neutral card that removes certain information from the face of the card resulting in anyone copying the card's information will be missing key parts rendering what information they do get useless for purchasing. After all, who would need that information but you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products