Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 12:12 PM

23,576 posts, read 70,330,116 times

Advertisements

I designed a point of sale system a few years back, when printers were slower and every second at the checkout line was wasted time and money. Now that the thermal printers are faster, I'm noticing receipts becoming insanely long. If there are coupons on the back, I can understand, but most are just a giant logo, lots of white space, and the time and date are no longer tight to the merchandise listing. I'm curious if this is nationwide. I scanned a receipt for a single item that is 15" long. How long are your receipts - either for a single item or one that you find ridiculously long?

(FWIW, this is becoming an ecological issue. The amount of excess thermal paper used across the nation must be staggering.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 12:24 PM

22,535 posts, read 47,584,363 times
I know it is not my longest, but...

the grocery receipt this week is 22" long.

The company logo and location information took up the first 3 inches, the company survey request took up the last 5.
The actual product listing takes up less than 8 inches.

Old 10-13-2016, 05:45 PM

16,065 posts, read 21,110,681 times
Three items, about 8 inches of paper. Gotta have room for the loyalty points, how much you saved on each item, gas points, the survey info, the refund bar code, how much you saved in total this visit, coupon values paid, taxes broken down and that doesn't include the coupons that are printed separately and using quite a bit more paper!

Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,932,350 times
Where are you getting these long receipts? My grocery receipt is no longer than normal, but the coupons print out separately.

I hate that thermal tape. It's coated with BPA, and passes through the skin. For some people (like me), it causes big skin issues. I've been under a dermatologist's care for several months after the thrift store I work at installed new registers. When the management saw what it was doing to my hands, they ordered BPA-free tape, but the new stuff is coated with BPS, which has proven just as problematic. I have to coat my hands with steroid cream and wear two pair of gloves every day just to handle the stuff.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:06 PM

23,576 posts, read 70,330,116 times
JC Penney is one where I had a receipt about three feet long. That is just one example. I hear you on the skin sensitivity. Long ago, when I was working in a darkroom, I had to use kerodex barrier cream because of the chemicals. I'm not sure if it is even still available. It did work in the wet environment. Inspection gloves might help you. They are thin cotton.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:00 PM

Local grocery store receipt with 5 items, goes from the tip of my fingers to past my elbow, the actual item listings themselves take up about 2 inches worth of paper. The rest is mostly junk about points/savings/rewards, etc and payment methods

Old 10-14-2016, 10:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,966,600 times
I think some of the discount stores are the worst for these long receipts. If I go to one of the normal grocery stores near here, its a basic receipt, maybe 4 inches in length for buying a decent amount of stuff. If I go to Dollar General it's always a foot long receipt... and I only bought 3 or 4 items. Rest of it is usually some nonsense about DirecTv or some other service type product they are partnered with that week.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:47 PM

44,616 posts, read 61,553,895 times
The longest was about 30 inches from a CVS drug store for only 3 items bought. The coupons and other garbage took up the rest. The shortest was from a liquor store, 2 $ 1/2 inches.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:36 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,168,348 times
What I really hate is the survey instructions and the clerks always circle that part. I never do those surveys, I think that's the way they get your email address for more spam. I have an insanely large amount of receipts which I must keep because of the business. I attach them to the statement when it comes and I must break them down into categories. I keep some for guarantee information. Then they fade into oblivion, never to be read again. I've taken to copying every single one that I keep for a guarantee.

Get a lifetime warranty on something? Good luck proving it if you can't read the receipt.

Because they're so long, I usually cut off the bottoms, right below the bar code which I need if I ever try to return something. The rest is unnecessary. My wallet gets fat with all the paper stuffed in.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:29 PM

I recently had a customer do a seldom used process that produced a register receipt that was nearly three feet long for a single purchase. Basically it was a contract copy printed on an inch and a half wide roll of paper, crazy stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products