U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 09:26 PM

25,098 posts, read 37,618,493 times

Advertisements

Wal-Mart Stores intends to contract with local hospitals and other organizations to open as many as 400 in-store health clinics over the next two to three years, and if current market forces continue, up to 2,000 clinics could be in Wal-Mart stores over the next five to seven years, Wal-Mart president and CEO Lee Scott will say in a speech later today at the World Health Care Congress in Washington, D.C. The clinic program’s expansion is just the latest in a series of moves by Wal-Mart to help implement customer solutions to America’s health care crisis, including the $4 generic drug prescription program, health information technology and participation in a major coalition supporting comprehensive healthcare reform by 2012.

“We think the clinics will be a great opportunity for our business. But most importantly, they are going to provide something our customers and communities desperately need – affordable access at the local level to quality health care,” Scott says.

Wal-Mart Facts - 400 Health Clinics to Open in Wal-Mart Stores During Next Three Years (http://www.walmartfacts.com/articles/4973.aspx - broken link)

Wal-Mart expands health clinics

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will open its first in-store medical clinics under its own brand name after leasing space in dozens of stores to outside companies that operate the quick-service health stops.
The world's largest retailer said Thursday it will open "The Clinic at Wal-Mart" as a joint venture with local hospital systems in Atlanta, Dallas and Little Rock, Ark., starting in April.

Wal-Mart expands in-store health clinics with own name brand - Feb. 7, 2008 (broken link)

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 03:31 PM

51 posts, read 184,340 times
I wonder if the clinics are going to accept Medical and Medicaid? Their part time employees that are on those programs could then got to the Walmart clinic and get health care, and Walmart could collect the Medicaid payments on their own employees.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmywho View Post
I wonder if the clinics are going to accept Medical and Medicaid? .
Cash or credit card. No insurance

Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM

42,724 posts, read 28,131,518 times
The clinic in our local Wal-Mart accepts insurance. I read the link, and I didn't see anything about not accepting insurance.

DC

Old 02-26-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The clinic in our local Wal-Mart accepts insurance. I read the link, and I didn't see anything about not accepting insurance.
I'll stand corrected then - well, sort of.

My information came from a regional manager for Walmart that I know - we were discussing the clinics that will be established in my area. He indicated no insurance - it was to keep costs down.

Maybe it merely a regional thing.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,372,424 times
now someone can pick up some bread while getting there herpes checked out.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 AM

42,724 posts, read 28,131,518 times
It's actually quite convenient. I've had several friends who have become sick over the weekend and were very happy to be able to use this service rather than go to an emergency room. While it's not the place for any major ailments, it's quick and convenient for sprains or bad colds and so on. None of my friends waited for more than a few minutes, while they filled out the forms and provided insurance information, and they received quick and thorough exams. The doctor wrote them prescriptions which they could fill right there in the store, and they were on their way home within an hour.
The clinics in my area are Redi-Care, they may simply rent the space from Wal-Mart, I don't know the degree of involvement Wal-Mart has with them. If the clinics that are going into the area where Greatday lives are being administered by Wal-Mart, there may be legal impediments for them accepting insurance. But the clinics are helpful and convenient, and potentially can relieve overburdered emergency rooms and extend health care to people who might not otherwise have access.

DC

Old 02-27-2008, 08:01 AM

170 posts, read 457,551 times
Damn....Pretty soon you can literally go to wal-mart for ALL your needs. Next thing you know, they'll have theme parks in Wal-mart. Everytime we all go out, it'll just be to Wal-mart. The slogan will change to.."Wal-Mart....where else can you go?"

Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

8,633 posts, read 20,187,701 times
The slogan will change to.."Wal-Mart....where else can you go?"

I love it . Very funny !

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM

2,140 posts, read 7,571,116 times
What's next? Wamart Express weddings? Get married at Walmart and have your future kids baptized in the infant section? They may as well cater to our entire lives and start selling caskets too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products