Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 08:24 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,093,837 times

Advertisements

Me I personally think good presents to give are.

1. Those roll-up lint removers.

2. Lava lamps, or colored night lights. Especially the ones that can change color.

I been to the American Science Surplus in Chicago. The only thing I liked there was solar flashlights. So solar lights are another.

3. Cleaning supplies, so 10% bleach + pinesol, 3% hydrogen peroxide. Maybe even something useful like Drano if they never had, used for pouring down sinks and such. For a non-electric dehumidifier, calcium chloride.

4. Electric scents (that you can plug into cord outlets).

5. Something you can throw into the bathtub to make it smell nice and such, where it dissolves into the water.

6. A computer program that pops up "Merry Christmas, _____" that you can install on their computer and put in their Startup folder for when they turn on the computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2016, 09:20 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,744,968 times
You give cleaning supplies as gifts?

And please do not mess with my computer by installing stuff on it.

I can sort of understand the bath stuff. Someone gifted me a bunch of bath salts a few years ago. I just threw them out yesterday. I only take showers. I have not taken a bath in years.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:33 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,751,448 times
Gift cards. They can buy whatever they want.

Old 12-24-2016, 11:00 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,695,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

2. Lava lamps, or colored night lights. Especially the ones that can change color.

I been to the American Science Surplus in Chicago. The only thing I liked there was solar flashlights. So solar lights are another.

3. Cleaning supplies, so 10% bleach + pinesol, 3% hydrogen peroxide. Maybe even something useful like Drano if they never had, used for pouring down sinks and such. For a non-electric dehumidifier, calcium chloride.

5. Something you can throw into the bathtub to make it smell nice and such, where it dissolves into the water.

6. A computer program that pops up "Merry Christmas, _____" that you can install on their computer and put in their Startup folder for when they turn on the computer.
Sounds like dollar store shopping except for the lava lamps, which I find useless.

Old 12-24-2016, 01:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,593,875 times
Why is this in this forum? It belongs in http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...umer-products/

Old 12-24-2016, 04:37 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,093,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Why is this in this forum? It belongs in http://www.city-data.com/forum/shopp...umer-products/
Notice most of my examples were all science-examples. And technology, etc.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:07 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Cash or something they need. I once got an ex Girlfriend a tool kit.I was always fixing stuff at her house and had to bring tools.

She got a gold neckalace too... I'm not stupid. She did like the tool kit.

Old 12-25-2016, 01:36 AM

20,276 posts, read 37,049,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealIRC View Post

My goodness! I would not give anybody any of those things. It sounds like giving the wife a set of cast iron pans, or a roof shovel to clear the snow off the roof, or a snow shovel for her to clear the driveway, or a plunger for her to unclog the toilet

~Just kidding with you

Old 12-25-2016, 05:39 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,538,680 times
1. Candles.

2. A book that's exchangeable, IF you know the kind of books the person likes. (don't give me a romance novel! But any biography, how-to book, finance book, best selling murder mystery. You HAVE to know what the person likes.)

3. Nice towels for young people just starting their careers. (even if they don't like them, they'll probably use them.)

4. Pricey, good quality air freshener that smells like winter or Christmas (pine, evergreen, cinnamon).

5. Socks and slippers as an inexpensive, fun gift for friends. (fuzzy night wear socks, Christmas socks, those cushioned-sole slippers, etc.)

No-No's:

Clothing of any sort for adults (whether day wear or night wear), except for socks/slippers.

Anything you apply to the skin (perfume, cologne, bath stuff) - unless you know that Mom wears a certain perfume AND is low on supply. Because of allergies, personal preference, or may have a supply already.

Old 12-25-2016, 06:51 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,140,618 times
Most people have more stuff than they need already. I take someone out for a meal and conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products