Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 04:56 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,385,920 times

Advertisements

I make browsing in TJM/Marshalls/Ross part of my weekly routine. Homegoods is less conveniently located for me and although I enjoy browsing there, I definitely find less to seriously consider.
I have learned repeatedly that if you think something has a strong possibility-----buy it and decide at home. I don't buy often, but I have learned that when I decide I will think on it and come back to buy it, it is not there.
The other day I was about to do it with some boots I had tried on (they were all of 19.99).......I was heading out of the store when I had a talk with myself and turned around and bought them. I have been wearing them and getting compliments. I know if I went there again they would not have my size. Life Lessons Learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 05:42 PM

140 posts, read 109,685 times
The only heartbreaking thing at Marshalls & TJs etc is when you find something you love and they don't have it in YOUR size. I then find myself visiting every store within a 50-mile radius looking for it ;-)
And I agree-buy it and decide at home or live to regret it!

Old 01-25-2017, 06:20 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,665,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
The only heartbreaking thing at Marshalls & TJs etc is when you find something you love and they don't have it in YOUR size. I then find myself visiting every store within a 50-mile radius looking for it ;-)
And I agree-buy it and decide at home or live to regret it!
Been there, done that - LOL - I've even had friends in other states look for something for me sometimes...

Old 01-25-2017, 07:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Oh, I love hitting all three stores, even when I know I don't need anything. As others have said, you never know when you might stumble across something you never knew you needed.
Exactly! I will even go to all five Ross's in my area on a free Saturday. Usually they are next to a Marshall's so double fun! Once in a Ross the sales associate described the store (formally) as a 'Treasure Hunt' store, which I had never heard of before. I agree. Recently I've scored some dining room chairs at Marshall's that online are four times the price!

I'm a Ross, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning and now West Elm type of person. I get great designer clothes at Ross and Marshall's is often great for home good quality clothing in the brands I like (very important motivation) and the last two are essential for me for home goods. Also, I get lots of learning resources at Tuesday Morning. The West Elm store is usually much cheaper than their online service. So many reasons for shopping at these discount Treasure Hunt stores. Even though inventory isn't 'guaranteed' they generally consistently carry the brands I prefer.

Shopping should be fun. I like this thread.

Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM

8,053 posts, read 4,725,671 times
I was in a Ross store several years ago and found a denim jacket that I liked. Trouble was, it didn't have a Ross price tag, just the tags from the original store it was sent to. Typically I will just put an untagged item like that back on the hanger and forget about it, but a store associate just happened to be nearby. I asked her if there was way to look up the price. "I'll do better than that," she quipped, and grabbed the nearest item--a knit shirt--and told me to take that item with me to the register and say ___ (I forget her name) said to use that price tag to pay for the jacket. The jacket looked to be thirty or forty dollars. The shirt was probably $15. Maybe she was a manager, who knows? Still, I wore that jacket for years and every time I put it on, I was reminded of how I got the item for a much lower price simply because someone forgot to put a Ross tag/price on it---and the person I spoke to was in a generous frame of mind.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:29 PM

140 posts, read 109,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Exactly! I will even go to all five Ross's in my area on a free Saturday. Usually they are next to a Marshall's so double fun! Once in a Ross the sales associate described the store (formally) as a 'Treasure Hunt' store, which I had never heard of before. I agree. Recently I've scored some dining room chairs at Marshall's that online are four times the price!

I'm a Ross, Marshall's, Tuesday Morning and now West Elm type of person. I get great designer clothes at Ross and Marshall's is often great for home good quality clothing in the brands I like (very important motivation) and the last two are essential for me for home goods. Also, I get lots of learning resources at Tuesday Morning. The West Elm store is usually much cheaper than their online service. So many reasons for shopping at these discount Treasure Hunt stores. Even though inventory isn't 'guaranteed' they generally consistently carry the brands I prefer.

Shopping should be fun. I like this thread.
What area do you live in that has all the stores so close together? I would probably do the same thing! I live in NY but often go to Connecticut and hit whatever Marshalls or TJ Maxx is around, I never go by one and not stop. Have never been to a Ross store, they are not in New York State? I've have been to a couple of Tuesday Mornings but honestly did not care for them, the one near me didn't stay open for long. No West Elm stores around either.
Are Marshalls and TJ owned by the same company? I notice that both stores carry the same things quite often, which is good if I can't find my size in one store, I check the other.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:57 PM

8,053 posts, read 4,725,671 times
Yeah, the individual chains of Marshalls, TJ Maxx and HomeGoods are under one umbrella company named TJX Stores, Inc. Traditionally the stores are separated (different locations) even though they have the same parent company....but they built one large location near me that combines a HomeGoods with a Marshalls under one roof (and a weak sort of "partition" to still remind the shopper that the stores are separate).

I've never been too impressed with the Tuesday Mornings I've visited, and the appearance/vibe of Ross stores tends to vary a great deal when I visit them in different parts of the country. TJX Stores tend to be almost always be neat and well-stocked.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,457,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
Yeah, the individual chains of Marshalls, TJ Maxx and HomeGoods are under one umbrella company named TJX Stores, Inc. Traditionally the stores are separated (different locations) even though they have the same parent company....but they built one large location near me that combines a HomeGoods with a Marshalls under one roof (and a weak sort of "partition" to still remind the shopper that the stores are separate).

I've never been too impressed with the Tuesday Mornings I've visited, and the appearance/vibe of Ross stores tends to vary a great deal when I visit them in different parts of the country. TJX Stores tend to be almost always be neat and well-stocked.
Yes, all true. In El Paso (I live 40 miles away.) there are lots of Ross stores and Marshall's. There is a rather new TJMaxx and Home Goods combo like you described and the West Elm store is in the same shopping complex.

Lots of people don't like Ross as the stores do vary in 'upkeep'. I hate shopping there around the holidays due to the crowds the line can easily reach around the entire store! I get quality designer clothing there consistently: Michael Kors, Calvin Klien, Ann Klein and good quality shoes: Clarks, Doc Martins, Dolce Vita, Adrienne Vitadini, etc., etc. The thing is, you have to be in the 'mood' to go through the inventory, but for me now, I can be in and out in just a short time as I know my brands and can even 'eyeball' them quickly. I know the store set up so well that I can shop in an economy of time.

Tuesday Morning tends to be slower in inventory change and I tend to go there for kitchen items, unique learning resources for my students, and odds and ends. Great for holiday shopping.

I recently went to two Burlingtons and talk about 'messy'! Both stores were wrecked. Not very comfortable shopping, very confusing layout, BUT, found some fun learning resources, just the wheeled bag I needed - love the size, fabrics and all features, especially the quality and size, a pair of Joe's jeans (I probably would never buy at original price.) I will go back.

Old 01-27-2017, 05:15 AM

4,712 posts, read 4,385,920 times
I agree that Ross is more variable by location. I have 3 withing 20 minutes from me- and they really do vary significantly.
I am confused that people are mentioning West Elm? I know there is one near me and I think I was only in there once- it did not seem at all like a discount or treasure hunting place. I don't have Tuesday morning near me but have been in once or twice, and would definitely stop in to check if it was nearer to me- but I agree it doesnt look like big turnover or merchandise but for certain things (rugs, curtains) it would be worth checking. Burlington is near me and I hardly ever go - I think it's too massive and I like to breeze in and breeze out. I have occassionally lucked out there more accessory wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products