Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:45 AM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times

Advertisements

Craigslist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,256,490 times
Mainly Ebay & Etsy.

I've also used Paypal for over 15 years now and never had a problem with them.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 AM

99 posts, read 102,386 times
I usually only sell textbooks on Amazon. The only other things I actually sell are music instruments/gear to either friends or music stores. I've sold old media/cds to Tradesmart and 2nd and Charles (are these national companies or only in Colorado?)

Old 03-01-2017, 09:53 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
People who bash eBay mercilessly either haven't used it in a long time, or haven't used it much at all. Because many of these posters sound clueless about how eBay actually works. It is much better than it used to be, and in a lot of ways, eBay is BETTER than Amazon, both for buying and selling. Reasons:

1. You can pay with Paypal. Paypal, ebay, and your credit card company offers buyer protections, so you have three types of buyer protection instead of two.

2. The seller has every incentive to be honest with buyers because they have a feedback rating to protect. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback about buyers, but buyers can leave negative feedback about sellers.

3. Sellers on ebay only compete against other eBay sellers. Sellers on Amazon not only compete against other 3rd party sellers; they are also competing against Amazon itself.

4. Sellers on eBay get to keep much more of their profits than on Amazon.

5. Amazon does not require sellers to disclose their location, so buyers may be unknowingly be buying something from overseas. (I had the misfortune of accidently buying an oral hygiene product from China). Ebay requires sellers to disclose their location.

6. Amazon is constantly pushing customers to buy Prime. Ebay has no membership program that customers must join in order to get perks.

7. Ebay requires sellers to insert photos of their specific item for each listing. On Amazon, you get a stock picture of the item, followed by a list of sellers who are offering the item for sale. I like to see a picture of the exact item I'm getting from whichever seller, and I suspect many other buyers feel the same way, especially if the item is used.

I could go on, but you get the idea. So before you bash eBay, learn about both sites thoroughly.

Old 03-14-2017, 02:00 PM

190 posts, read 247,076 times
I tried Amazon and Half, but for books. Never had a problem. Half of the books I listed sold.

I tried ebay a few times but for stuff for my dad. No one ever bought anything, but I think it was because of items he was putting on to sell. I do know lots of people who had luck selling lots of items, and luck if there was a dispute - said ebay is great in dispute department.

I use Poshmark for clothes and some misc items (perfume, shower gel from Bath and Body Works, jewelry, etc). I have luck on there - 75% of what I list gets sold. I put clothes on for 2 seasons. Once 2nd season ends, if it not sold, I use for garage sale. I ahve a garage sale every summer (2-3 per summer). Whatever does not go for garage sale, I just put in those clothing bins for clothing donations bins. One point I used Platos Closet instead of those bins but that was when I actually had items to bring. Now that I dont, I just use clothing donation bins as last thing.

I still use Platos Closet now, but only for certain items. It is primarily for PINK items and jewelry. Every so often I have other items, and if I do, then I put those items into the bag Im taking there.

One point I used Vinted but never had any sales after 6 months - not even 1 item. So I deleted account and app. I know people who had luck on there. So just see if you have luck for this one.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:11 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,707,699 times
I agree regarding Ebay. I finally terminated by Ebay account. Too much fraud on the site. Also, many things sold on ebay now are counterfeit or stolen goods. After buying a few items that turned out to be counterfeit, and also fraud going on with my ebay account (someone using my account name to buy expensive watches) I finally got rid of Ebay. I don't miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products