Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times

Advertisements

Good news non Prime members: As of Feb 20, 2017, Amazon reduced its free shipping requirement from $49 to $35 again. I wonder if increasing the requirement to $49 made regular customers decide to go elsewhere, so they decided to reduce it in the hopes of attracting their business.

Amazon Reduces Free Shipping Minimum Rate to $35 | Fortune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 03:19 PM

12,385 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good news non Prime members: As of Feb 20, 2017, Amazon reduced its free shipping requirement from $49 to $35 again. I wonder if increasing the requirement to $49 made regular customers decide to go elsewhere, so they decided to reduce it in the hopes of attracting their business.

That plus their normal contractors trucks now have space with Christmas passed and they have enough space without as much self supplementing staff.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:29 PM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Amazon’s announcement comes just one month after its competitor Walmart started offering free two-day shipping on orders of $35 and over. Best Buy also has the same offer of $35 or more in order to be eligible. Two-day free shipping for Amazon will continue to only be available for Prime users, which costs $99 a year or $10.99 a month. That means Amazon is still trying to entice people to get a membership by keeping their free shipping to regular five to eight-day delivery.

In Competition With Walmart, Amazon Lowers Free Shipping Minimum - Vocativ

Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:

Wal-Mart.com rolled out free shipping on $35 or more. Price War!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:37 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
I wish chewy would get on board,, but maybe they'd raise prices if they did. I like them for pet food, litter, etc.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:10 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,175,093 times
Since I order from Amazon & am not a prime member (it's not worth it to me), this is good news. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2017, 01:25 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
I've been a Prime member ever since Amazon first started it but I wont renew my membership this year. I'm so tired of ordering merchandise that promises two-day delivery and ends up taking 4-5 days and sometimes even longer -- also of receiving boxes that have opened up in transit because the shipping department used one small piece of tape that didnt even cover the edges of the flaps.

Amazon still has amazing customer service but the fact that I've had to use it so often indicates problems that Amazon wont address. They extend my Prime membership by one month for free each time there's a problem and my membership has been extended for almost two YEARS as a result.

Now I'm ordering almost everything from Walmart, Chewy and Home Depot. All three have much faster shipping (and better packing) than Amazon. I havent had to use their customer service because there have been no screw-ups in any of my orders.

Old 03-05-2017, 09:02 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I wish chewy would get on board,, but maybe they'd raise prices if they did. I like them for pet food, litter, etc.
I'm a big Chewy fan as well. I order two bags of dog food at a time, so I hit the $49 shipping minimum. FYI, their shipping is very inexpensive even if you don't hit the minimum (only $4.99).

Once I discovered the lower purchase minimums, I tried to order from Amazon the other day to get the free shipping, became frustrated and gave up. My order came to $34.98 and when I tried to add a small item to my cart it was always an Add-On item. I didn't want to buy another $20 in merchandise and paying for shipping made it so much more expensive I ended up buying elsewhere anyway. It seems Amazon tries to push customers into buying Prime a little too much at times.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Once I discovered the lower purchase minimums, I tried to order from Amazon the other day to get the free shipping, became frustrated and gave up. My order came to $34.98 and when I tried to add a small item to my cart it was always an Add-On item. I didn't want to buy another $20 in merchandise and paying for shipping made it so much more expensive I ended up buying elsewhere anyway. It seems Amazon tries to push customers into buying Prime a little too much at times.
For add on items, you only need $25 worth of items in your cart. If you had $34.98 in your cart, then you would have been well over the requirment of $25. I get that you hate Amazon, but I'm not sure what you are talking about saying you needed to buy another $20 in merchandise. And if your add on put you over $35, then you would not have paid for shipping, so I don't know what shipping cost has to do with your order.

Old 03-05-2017, 02:23 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
Just got my acryclic Dupont brick patio sealer for my patio,used same sealer last year at higher price.At $39.90 a gallon I took 2 with free shipping,They give a song and dance about time for delivery.I got it USPS the next day.
It must costs someone for this weight in large box?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products