Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 10:49 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
One thing I've always thought as a big inconvenience with shopping malls was that, although it is great to park once, stay under cover and be able to go to lots of stores, there are no shopping carts that can be used throughout the whole place, unless you bring your own.
So you are loaded with packages to carry or have to keep going out to your car to unload.
Or have I just been to the wrong ones?
I've never seen those either. Also, if it's freezing out you've gotta wear your coat but then it's warm inside. They need lockers to leave your coat in safely at every entrance.

As for carts, I wouldn't use kind that you push, but I would take one that is pulled behind you sorta like a rolling suitcase. I wonder if that would make it easier for shoplifters, though?

Old 03-13-2018, 11:20 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
In my area we have a dead mall and another that's on the verge of being dead. Military Circle Mall in Norfolk went dead because of the crime and shootings that kept occurring in the parking lot. Chesapeake Square Mall lost Macy's and a few other stores and it has been declining ever since. I think the Target and the movie theatre is what is keeping it afloat. The only time I go there is if I'm going to FYE or the movies. The strip malls and shopping centers are thriving though. Sometimes it is hard to find a parking spot in the strip mall parking lot.

If you love dead malls, Dan Bell's videos are excellent. Also check out Retail Archeology and Ace's Adventures. I would love to make a dead mall video but, that would be the one time when the security guard is actually doing his job and I would get kicked out of the mall for filming. LOL

Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Here is our local mall, during the Christmas shopping season. Somehow or other they seem to be keeping it open with virtually zero customers. I don't know how.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,491,332 times
Dang, that looks like it was taken before the stores opened!

I had an appointment just a block away from the main mall here on Christmas Eve day a few years ago. I asked my provider if I had to leave early due to traffic. She looked at me like I was nuts, but I remember when I first moved here there would be a traffic cam on the news starting the weekend before christmas, and it was bumper to bumper for blocks all around the mall.

So anyway I did go to my appt that day and the traffic was non-existent.

I went clothes shopping last fall during the daytime and it wasn't teeming with people but there were people everywhere I looked.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:19 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
High end malls are booming and mid-tier to strip malls are dying. This is the sign of the economy, the well to do folks gets richer and middle class gets squeezed by high healthcare cost.

I used to shop at malls but I simply cut back since I have to spend a lot each month on the "unaffordable care act" my premiums each month is $1300/family. Thanks Democrats.

Malls and any discretionary spending will get less because families are just getting by due to the high cost of healthcare.

Old 03-26-2018, 12:11 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Here is our local mall, during the Christmas shopping season. Somehow or other they seem to be keeping it open with virtually zero customers. I don't know how.

As a big time shopper (both for myself and my clients), I always find walking in dead malls relaxing. It is something about it; a nostalgic feelings and a serene atmosphere.
I think I might be the only one. It is kind of like exploring ancient ruin or something.

Old 03-26-2018, 10:10 AM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
As a big time shopper (both for myself and my clients), I always find walking in dead malls relaxing. It is something about it; a nostalgic feelings and a serene atmosphere.
I think I might be the only one. It is kind of like exploring ancient ruin or something.
Ancient ruin. I love it!

Old 03-26-2018, 06:02 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,767,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Ancient ruin. I love it!
Haha yeah. As much as I love malls and mourn the death of some American malls, that is exactly how I feel.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:33 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I imagine stores like CVS and Target would close down because you can buy everything there online.

But I could never guess malls would lose walk-in customers. Every piece of clothing that people buy online fits them? Or are they okay with packing up unfit clothes and mailing it back? I’d rather drive to the store to return it, which is the only reason why I’d buy clothes online, if the store was nearby.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
In terms of frugality, the shopping mall is not.
As conditions worsen, and people seek to save money, malls will continue to decline.
In fact, when the automobile / pavement / petroleum paradigm collapses, the transition back to electric traction rail will revive the down town shopping areas, especially where population consolidation is taking place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products