Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 12:50 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
Assuming my neighbor is a stranger, then I chalk it up to a mistake that I made and learn that I need to be more careful next time. I'd probably be upset with myself and upset about the money, but in the end, I know it was still my mistake and I won't ask for it back. It's also why I am having a super hard time asking for the fan back. That's just not who I am.
But you said in the op that when they said $99 you said "oh, good deal" which means you have a general idea of the cost to know it's a good deal. I think a $200 undercharge falls outside of reasonable error unless you can find the item selling for anywhere close to $99 in the past year.
I think that the AG is correct about them having a right to pursue you. If I were you, I wouldn't take anymore calls or answer letters from them. See what happens and then figure it out. You got an answer from the AG and whether we feel it's fair or not, they told you to either pay or return it. The only thing that could help is that it took 30 days to get to you and the undue burden it puts on you since you gave it away. I would call a lawyer or post the question on a legal website and see what they say.
Does your receipt say the correct fan? Does it have any UPC code on there? If so, google the code and see what shows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 01:16 PM

1,020 posts, read 808,232 times
Stores close out merchandise all the time & put it on clearance sale, which can be a fraction of the original cost. Since there was only 1 item left, no doubt that's what OP thought was happening & why it was such a good deal.

I too, have pointed out errors in a store's favor. I also have accidentally walked out with a fruit in my basket that I missed & realized I hadn't paid for, went back in & paid. They acted as though I was insane & refused to charge me LOL. I also have a business selling on Ebay. If I type a price in wrong, too bad, so sad for me. No way would I go back to a legit customer who purchased at the price I typed in (even tho' I'd made a typo) & not sell to them or ask for more money. They bought it fair & square, just like OP.

BUT, in OP's case, she asked the price, numerous people were involved in checking on the price & selling it to her. They told her the price & rung her up at it. She did absolutely nothing wrong & in fact, did as much as she could to insure the price. When there's only 1 of the item left, I would simply think it was a clearance sale. It would never occur to me that it was 3 people's mistake.

She just needs to call the Prez's office. I guarantee you, 1 phone call & this will be fixed for good & she'll never hear another word from Costco. She will also get to KEEP her membership, b/c she did NOTHING wrong.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:32 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
^^^

I bought kegs of nails for a dollar a keg...

The manager had just marked them to $1 for 50 lbs of 16 penny nails... bargain of the year.

When I took them to the register the cashiers called the head cashier who called the department manager who called the store manager who had just gone on break...

Anyway... the $1 price was correct and 25 years later I still have a lifetime supply of 16 penny nails.

Bargains do happen and in my case it was reviewed multiple times.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:44 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That does not mean they are checking prices, it simply means they are checking to see that you were charged for the number of items in your basket. Were you charged twice for an item, or more importantly (for them) did you get charged for everything in your cart or did that big bag of dog food underneath, or the huge plasma TV in your arms somehow not get rung up? It's about inventory control, not pricing.
I get that. And again, per their site, " It is also a good way to see that our members have been charged properly for their purchases." So, doesn't this mean they are somewhat checking prices? Or that they probably were told to do that?

No, I don't expect them to know the cost on every item. But if you were the person at the door, saw and commented on the three fans in someone's cart, and even commented on the Dyson fan specifically, wouldn't you look for those things on the receipt?

Old 04-15-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
But you said in the op that when they said $99 you said "oh, good deal" which means you have a general idea of the cost to know it's a good deal. I think a $200 undercharge falls outside of reasonable error unless you can find the item selling for anywhere close to $99 in the past year.
I think that the AG is correct about them having a right to pursue you. If I were you, I wouldn't take anymore calls or answer letters from them. See what happens and then figure it out. You got an answer from the AG and whether we feel it's fair or not, they told you to either pay or return it. The only thing that could help is that it took 30 days to get to you and the undue burden it puts on you since you gave it away. I would call a lawyer or post the question on a legal website and see what they say.
Does your receipt say the correct fan? Does it have any UPC code on there? If so, google the code and see what shows up.
My "general idea of the cost" is knowing that Dyson stuff isn't "cheap". I had no clue what the actual cost was. So me thinking $99 was a deal, was just me thinking $99 for Dyson is good, not "oh, I just saved $300". Big difference.

I have been looking for the receipt, but haven't been able to find it. I'm sure they have a log of everything I've purchased if I need a copy, but as of right now, I'm not sure what it rang up as.

Old 04-15-2017, 01:57 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
And don't forget the third person at the door....who Costco flat out states is there to make sure things aren't stolen or priced incorrectly.
Nope. The people standing at the door do not know the price of every item. They do a quick count if it's a small number of items, to make sure it matches up, otherwise they do a spot check to try to make sure nothing was missed, and they'll look below the cart and in the seat to make sure those items are on the receipt. But they do not look at every item on the receipt to check that the correct price was charged because there is no way they know the correct price of thousands of items.

But speaking of receipts, I'm still curious about exactly what your receipt said and whether it really said "Dyson Fan $99" or if it perhaps said "Random Item $99" and you were aware there was some confusion over what you bought in relation to the price you paid.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
Stores close out merchandise all the time & put it on clearance sale, which can be a fraction of the original cost. Since there was only 1 item left, no doubt that's what OP thought was happening & why it was such a good deal.

I too, have pointed out errors in a store's favor. I also have accidentally walked out with a fruit in my basket that I missed & realized I hadn't paid for, went back in & paid. They acted as though I was insane & refused to charge me LOL. I also have a business selling on Ebay. If I type a price in wrong, too bad, so sad for me. No way would I go back to a legit customer who purchased at the price I typed in (even tho' I'd made a typo) & not sell to them or ask for more money. They bought it fair & square, just like OP.

BUT, in OP's case, she asked the price, numerous people were involved in checking on the price & selling it to her. They told her the price & rung her up at it. She did absolutely nothing wrong & in fact, did as much as she could to insure the price. When there's only 1 of the item left, I would simply think it was a clearance sale. It would never occur to me that it was 3 people's mistake.

She just needs to call the Prez's office. I guarantee you, 1 phone call & this will be fixed for good & she'll never hear another word from Costco. She will also get to KEEP her membership, b/c she did NOTHING wrong.

Thanks for this. Also, I wanted to make one comment in regards to this part of your post:

Quote:
BUT, in OP's case, she asked the price, numerous people were involved in checking on the price & selling it to her....did as much as she could to insure the price. When there's only 1 of the item left, I would simply think it was a clearance sale.
I had even asked the manager about their return policy if it was a clearance item (and not being sold 'as is'), just case there was something wrong with this lone item. I wanted to cover my bases.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope. The people standing at the door do not know the price of every item. They do a quick count if it's a small number of items, to make sure it matches up, otherwise they do a spot check to try to make sure nothing was missed, and they'll look below the cart and in the seat to make sure those items are on the receipt. But they do not look at every item on the receipt to check that the correct price was charged because there is no way they know the correct price of thousands of items.

But speaking of receipts, I'm still curious about exactly what your receipt said and whether it really said "Dyson Fan $99" or if it perhaps said "Random Item $99" and you were aware there was some confusion over what you bought in relation to the price you paid.
I followed up on another post with these posts

http://www.city-data.com/forum/47847208-post69.html

Company made error in my favor - what would you do?

Company made error in my favor - what would you do?

Old 04-15-2017, 02:21 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Correctly processed means was rung by the cashier, not that the door checker validated that the correct price was charged.

But we obviously cross posted so you were answering the question regarding the receipt when I was trying my post mentioning that you hadn't answered it.

I still think that what the receipt says will be the best documentation of whether you can reasonably tell Costco that you bought a specific item for the price it rang up for, and any error was on their side vs. whether you were charged a lower price for a different item and while they were at fault for not catching it, they could reasonably expect you to either return or pay for the actual item you purchased.

Old 04-15-2017, 02:48 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
I reread the op and I'm wondering what the exact words the company used when making the initial contact with you? Was it just hi, this is Jane from Costco, what did you buy for $19.99 yesterday? But they know what you bought bc the receipt is in their system.
A store calling is very unusual so they knew that there was some kind of issue with your transaction but the investigation takes a month? I misread the op and figured the month was bc it took that long to realize they were missing a fan and then had to figure it out. I can understand a week bc they probably have to be sure that the mgr/cashier didn't know you and intentionally undersold the item but a month seems excessive.
But why do you say that you realize it was the fan when she was asking about a $19.99 item? If you got 30 items, I'm sure there were items closer to $19.99 so why did you're mind jump to the fan?
I would get a free consult with a lawyer if you're worried bc it's probably easier to explain in person. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products