Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 04:55 AM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 26 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Are these questions before you get approved for the program? I wasn't asked that when signing up.
After creating the USPS online account, it was multiple choice questions, so they already had some intelligence on me, and wanted to confirm it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,514,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
It's just kind of funny all of the needs that have been created for more, faster info all the time. And somehow we all got along before these kinds of services, and checking your mail whenever you went to town.
agreed. I don't get why everyone is so impatient and in a hurry all the time. but then, maybe it's the society that is feeding off that, with stuff like this, and restaurants that offer online ordering, because waiting 5-10 minutes is apparently intolerable these days. even when I go to the grocery store, the checkers (usually the young ones) act like they're on speed or in the cashiering olympics or something, and I don't like feeling like I have to hurry up to get up there and get my stuff out by the time they threw everything in a bag. It stresses me out. I don't mind waiting a while, even if I'm behind somebody else. I wish they would make 'fast' or 'slow' lanes, so the people that are in a hurry and breathing down your neck can go there, and people that like to take their time can go in the other lanes, since they all seem to assume we're all in a hurry these days.

Old 06-05-2017, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I signed up for this just to test it out but it's pretty useless. It shows me my mail somedays and others it does not (even when I do get mail).

Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My step daughter recently told us of a program through the USPS where they send you an email and you can see pictures of what you're getting in the mail that day.
If it works as well as their package tracking website, I will get the pictures after my mail is delivered.

Old 06-05-2017, 02:33 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,209,295 times
Still waiting for the service to activate out here. I signed up for it right before memorial day weekend.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
... why would anyone need to know what mail is going to show up today?...

I love this service. Some days I have trouble walking very far (due to a stroke some years ago). If there's nothing important in my mailbox that day, I can hold off walking to the curb until the next day.

The service is also great to know when an important envelope has been mis-delivered. For example, one of my credit cards is due to expire soon and my credit card company sent me an email advising that a new card should be received within 10 days.

If the daily email digest shows that the new card is due to be delivered that day and it doesnt show up in my mailbox, I can contact the company and have it canceled immediately.

Old 06-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
After creating the USPS online account, it was multiple choice questions, so they already had some intelligence on me, and wanted to confirm it.

I was a bit concerned about this. My questions were all about a car loan that may have been taken out 3 years ago. The 1st question was how much are the monthly payments, the 2nd question was what is the length of the loan and the 3rd question was what company originated the loan.

I never took out such a loan and it bothered me that all the USPS questions addressed this non-existent loan. I even checked my credit report with all 3 agencies and found no such loan.

I tried to sign up 3 times and got the same questions each time. The 4th time I was able to get an account without having to go through the question process.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:05 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I was a bit concerned about this. My questions were all about a car loan that may have been taken out 3 years ago. The 1st question was how much are the monthly payments, the 2nd question was what is the length of the loan and the 3rd question was what company originated the loan.

I never took out such a loan and it bothered me that all the USPS questions addressed this non-existent loan. I even checked my credit report with all 3 agencies and found no such loan.

I tried to sign up 3 times and got the same questions each time. The 4th time I was able to get an account without having to go through the question process.
Did the USPS system refuse to create an account based on your answers, or did you elect to not answer until you figured it out?

They may have been using a credit bureaus verification system which (if you every did your free annual credit reports) also ask not applicable questions. Someone who isn't you may have tried answering which would indicate it's not you. The fact that you checked your credit reports right after would signal you were the one attempting to set up an account.

Now, as an FYI, if a person is in a court battle over mail received (they say they mailed it, you claim you never got it) without a proof of delivery service, the USPS can stand on certain privacy polices that prohibits them from turning over any images of mail to your address. Even a civil court order can be futile based on postal regulations. But, the images sent to you can be obtained with a simple subpoena from any court to the service company who handles your texts. You no longer have the solid privacy protection of the postal service. Heck, with the recent EO allowing providers to commercially use your information, they can now sell those images for commercial marketing.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Did the USPS system refuse to create an account based on your answers, or did you elect to not answer until you figured it out..

I couldnt answer any of the multiple-choice questions (there was no "None of the Above" answer option) so I just hit CONTINUE, at which point I was informed that I would have to apply for the service in person at a post office.

I applied once a day for 4 days. The first 3 times I got the same questions and message. On the 4th day I was able to sign in without going through the question-verification process.

And, yes, it was after the 3rd unsuccessful attempt that I checked my credit reports, after which I was able to sign in without going through the question-verification process.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:09 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid America Lifer View Post
To make sure that you are who you say you are, they ask questions about former places of residence, and the last four digits of your social security number.
I never gave the USPS or FedEx or UPS my social security number.

Some above are mentioning privacy.

So . . . . the post office has everyone's Social Security Number?

I'd be more scared about some rogue postal employee stealing you identity then viewing some letter you got from grandma !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products