U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:57 AM
 
13,644 posts, read 7,114,414 times
Reputation: 13243

Advertisements

This is intensely embarrassing. But! I need to know.

So, I used a mini fridge for a short period of time. When I didn't need it anymore, I took everything out, unplugged it, and waited for it to be room temperature again before cleaning. And then forgot. It's disgusting. There is not a lot, but any amount of mold is sooooooooooooooooooo disgusting.

Is it trash, or since it didn't run, perhaps the mold did not invade the system and I can just go to it with bleach?

My intent is to give it away regardless on freecycle or something, but I don't want to even give something that might endanger the new owner. Ugh. And I'm not going to it with bleach if it's trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2017, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Location: Location
6,416 posts, read 8,008,881 times
Reputation: 18863
Is it self-defrost? If it is, the system works by sucking out excess moisture from the cold compartment. If you wipe out the inside with a bleach solution, and plug it back in, the system should extract the bleach solution residue out through the tube and should take care of any mold that may be in there.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,546 posts, read 55,485,543 times
Reputation: 32304
Clean it out with spray bathroom cleaner. That has enough bleach in it to sanitize and is easier and safer to use. Toss in a bunch of baking soda, let it sit for a day and then scrub that around and out.

If it is self defrosting, there is a tube that will go to an evaporator pan. The tube needs to be clear of crud. A household steamer works best, otherwise use lower pressure compressed air.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 09:53 PM
 
13,644 posts, read 7,114,414 times
Reputation: 13243
IDK if it is self-defrost. It is a mini-fridge like for a college dorm or a garage for mainly beverages. The 'freezer' compartment is a tiny little thing. The door to it seems about 5".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 09:55 PM
 
13,644 posts, read 7,114,414 times
Reputation: 13243
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Clean it out with spray bathroom cleaner. That has enough bleach in it to sanitize and is easier and safer to use. Toss in a bunch of baking soda, let it sit for a day and then scrub that around and out.

If it is self defrosting, there is a tube that will go to an evaporator pan. The tube needs to be clear of crud. A household steamer works best, otherwise use lower pressure compressed air.
Scrubbing bubbles! I think Kaboom is what I have. But I will buy whatever is best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,484 posts, read 23,984,256 times
Reputation: 36411
Well, now that I am super low income, I tend to think in terms of - what if I had no other option? What if there was no other refrigerator on the planet. It was the very last refrigerator I would ever have the opportunity to own and use.

When you look at things like that, it makes cleaning them or trying to fix them seem less like the end of the world.

And I'm not mocking you - I've been on both sides of the income spectrum as far as the ability to just toss something I didn't want to clean, or being so poor that if all I had to do to own something meant to clean it, made me really grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:25 PM
 
13,644 posts, read 7,114,414 times
Reputation: 13243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, now that I am super low income, I tend to think in terms of - what if I had no other option? What if there was no other refrigerator on the planet. It was the very last refrigerator I would ever have the opportunity to own and use.

When you look at things like that, it makes cleaning them or trying to fix them seem less like the end of the world.

And I'm not mocking you - I've been on both sides of the income spectrum as far as the ability to just toss something I didn't want to clean, or being so poor that if all I had to do to own something meant to clean it, made me really grateful.
I'm not too good to clean anything. I only meant that if the mold is not truly cleanable, (invisibly invaded the system) and it's trash no matter what I do.

The whole reason this was loaned to me was that I was trying to save my regular fridge and not buy a new one! Then my friend bought a better mini and refuses payment for this one.

Not the tossing type, believe me. I can't believe I did such a stupid!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,484 posts, read 23,984,256 times
Reputation: 36411
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not too good to clean anything. I only meant that if the mold is not truly cleanable, (invisibly invaded the system) and it's trash no matter what I do.

The whole reason this was loaned to me was that I was trying to save my regular fridge and not buy a new one! Then my friend bought a better mini and refuses payment for this one.

Not the tossing type, believe me. I can't believe I did such a stupid!
Heck, hindsight is 20/20 right? I hate when I make mistakes, too. But, I think anything is cleanable, unless it's nuclear waste LOL. People freak out about mold, but even toxic mold in houses can be eradicated. If I cared enough about saving it, I'd just bleach the heck out of it and carry on.

The image that comes to mind when talking about tossing things like this, is Cuba. I think it's so cool how they kept all those 1950's era vehicles running all these years. Who knows what they're held together with - probably bailing twine and pantyhose - but they still run and look fine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuba...w=1440&bih=753
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:54 PM
 
13,644 posts, read 7,114,414 times
Reputation: 13243
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Heck, hindsight is 20/20 right? I hate when I make mistakes, too. But, I think anything is cleanable, unless it's nuclear waste LOL. People freak out about mold, but even toxic mold in houses can be eradicated. If I cared enough about saving it, I'd just bleach the heck out of it and carry on.

The image that comes to mind when talking about tossing things like this, is Cuba. I think it's so cool how they kept all those 1950's era vehicles running all these years. Who knows what they're held together with - probably bailing twine and pantyhose - but they still run and look fine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cuba...w=1440&bih=753
I'm not a ninny about mold either. As gross as it is, just bleach it away. Whether it invaded the system, beyond my reach, is the concern. I don't want to pass on a germy thing to someone. I guess once I get it sprayed down and wiped out I can discover whether it self-defrosts, as comments here indicate that is a factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,972 posts, read 1,054,587 times
Reputation: 7385
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I'm not a ninny about mold either. As gross as it is, just bleach it away. Whether it invaded the system, beyond my reach, is the concern. I don't want to pass on a germy thing to someone. I guess once I get it sprayed down and wiped out I can discover whether it self-defrosts, as comments here indicate that is a factor.
I don't think one that size self defrosts.


I think I would get rid of it "as is". Let the person who wants it decide if its worth cleaning and/or safe to use. If you get rid of the mold, the person who takes it is not going to get the whole picture even if you tell them what happened.


Take a photo of the inside and out and put it on freecycle or something similar. No cash but its gone and you saved yourself some elbow grease
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top