U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 11:35 AM

9,966 posts, read 8,878,747 times

Advertisements

I can't believe all 25 of you are so stupid.

Really stupid.

They will just bring in employees from other stores.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:59 AM

70 posts, read 55,735 times
I have a question for the smarter people on the Retail Topic. If the OP does do this is he denied a job in many areas?

Old 11-13-2017, 12:02 PM

18,760 posts, read 55,944,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfighter6313 View Post
I work at Michaels Arts and Crafts. On black friday, the store opens at 6am and every employee is scheduled to work at some point of the day or another.

There are about 25 of us non-management employees, and we were talking about how hillarious it would be if all of us, in unison, just randomly and unnannounced, did not show up for work on black Friday.

In other words, the store manager, the assistant manager and a couple department heads get there shortly before opening, and at 6am, as a total suprise to them, none of the employees show up and they have a mob of customers and no workers.

When they start calling us, we all say "We all bound together to give ourselves the day off, we will all report back to work on our next scheduled shift." and then hang up.

This conversation started out as a joke, but now we are seriously considering doing it, as long as we are 25 strong in this.

My question is, could we likely do it without losing our jobs?

I mean, what exactly is management going to do? Fire us all and not have a staff?

Having to close the store down indefinitely, desperately scrambling to recruit a new staff in an economy where every retail store is hiring (meaning they have to pay extra to get retail job seekers to apply there as opposed to other stores if they want a new staff in any kind of short order) then training that new staff, and being able to reopen the doors in a couple weeks if they're lucky.......all in the midst of the holiday shopping season?

Not a good business model. In my experience it takes a few weeks of training and supervision before a new hire is completely self-sufficient and knowledgable at my store. My guess is the store, in firing us all, would maybe be able to reopen around mid-december with a new, wet behind the ears staff who will need constant help for any register issue or customer queery, management running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and the whole remainder of the christmas rush being an ineffiecient mess with lots of irritated and unsatisfied customers.

In other words, if we did this 25 strong, would management have no choice but to begrudgingly keep us all on staff?
Recognizing the OP may be a troll, but that when trolls post they can put ideas into gullible heads, I will respond. It may save a few people a lot of pain.

I was a theatre manager when a staff pulled that stunt on me. The previous manager had allowed all sorts of staff theft and treated them like the theatre was a social club and they didn't have to work. When he was fired and I was brought in, they decided to take it out on me personally. As a group, they walked out just as a big film was opening on a Friday night. The only one left was a union projectionist, who couldn't walk out without having the union busted by the company (which it had been itching to do for years).

So what happened? I opened the theatre on my own, sold tickets and tore them myself, and called around to other locations to have staff come in from them, and called in a favor or two. Within ninety minutes everything was operating more or less normally. The public only knew that they couldn't buy concessions for the first twenty minutes of the first show.

The staff was fired and blackballed, they had to pick up final checks at the corporate office from HR, they were denied unemployment, and any potential employee who came from the same school or neighborhood was passed over in case they were friends. An undercover agent was hired in and there were a couple of other purges, after which the company decided that the potential losses and damage of reputation to the company meant that it was better to shutter the theatre completely than continue to operate it.

As for the damage the staff did to me? Their actions and my quick response fast-tracked me from manager to district manager and much more pay and more freedom.

So, the net effect of the "prank" was to deny many other people work, destroy interest in other businesses from opening up in the area (trust me, word gets around within the business community about problem areas), and force local residents to drive out of the area if they wanted to see a movie. There is a reason why you will see large areas in cities where there are no major businesses and the community is falling into depression.

As a district manager, if I caught wind of any such plan as you propose, the store would be closed for two weeks, the management re-assigned, and a troubleshooter manger brought in along with a few key staff. Every employee would be terminated (in a right to work state, you need no reason to terminate) and a new staff hired and properly trained. If you get around at all, you will often see places where there is a sign "under new management." That usually means the entire crew including managers were terminated.

Your chances of forcing a major chain to bend to any sort of extortion are slim to none. With social media and the interconnectedness of everything these days, such a prank could easily continue to damage you for years to come. I trust this answers your question.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:08 PM

2,861 posts, read 1,531,650 times
High school hi-jinks, both the idea and the post about it.

(Maybe there should be a minimum IQ test before being able to post on City-Data)

Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM

392 posts, read 153,648 times
I suggest getting a job at REI - they make a big deal of being closed on Black Friday so employees and customers can enjoy the great outdoors.

Otherwise, what you're proposing is a labor strike. For that, you need to form a union. Get everyone involved in that union and collect enough dues to establish a massive strike fund. Then get every other retail worker in the area to join said union - since having a union at just one store won't do the trick.

Then, when you've got all that worked out, and ~everyone~ is ready to go - declare a strike to begin on Black Friday and ending on New's Year's eve. Don't even think about negotiating until they've met your demands of $30 an hour, full benefits and 6 weeks' vacation. Oh, and no weekend or night hours, evah.

In my dreams...sigh.

BUT - I go on strike every year, as a customer. From late November to early January, tis the time of the year to NOT shop, not participate in the annual consumerist orgy this country perpetuates upon us for the purpose of "holiday cheer."

Now, if everyone would do just like me, and stay home for the season, not shop, not spend money, and not pretend that Christmas is anything other than celebrating the birthday of a certain historical (religious) figure - then I'd have hope for the world.

In my dreams...in my dreams...

Last edited by Radical_Thinker; 11-13-2017 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 12:52 PM

3,460 posts, read 1,935,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayfighter6313 View Post
I work at Michaels Arts and Crafts. On black friday, the store opens at 6am and every employee is scheduled to work at some point of the day or another.

There are about 25 of us non-management employees, and we were talking about how hillarious it would be if all of us, in unison, just randomly and unnannounced, did not show up for work on black Friday.

In other words, the store manager, the assistant manager and a couple department heads get there shortly before opening, and at 6am, as a total suprise to them, none of the employees show up and they have a mob of customers and no workers.

When they start calling us, we all say "We all bound together to give ourselves the day off, we will all report back to work on our next scheduled shift." and then hang up.

This conversation started out as a joke, but now we are seriously considering doing it, as long as we are 25 strong in this.

My question is, could we likely do it without losing our jobs?

I mean, what exactly is management going to do? Fire us all and not have a staff?

Having to close the store down indefinitely, desperately scrambling to recruit a new staff in an economy where every retail store is hiring (meaning they have to pay extra to get retail job seekers to apply there as opposed to other stores if they want a new staff in any kind of short order) then training that new staff, and being able to reopen the doors in a couple weeks if they're lucky.......all in the midst of the holiday shopping season?

Not a good business model. In my experience it takes a few weeks of training and supervision before a new hire is completely self-sufficient and knowledgable at my store. My guess is the store, in firing us all, would maybe be able to reopen around mid-december with a new, wet behind the ears staff who will need constant help for any register issue or customer queery, management running around like chickens with their heads cut off, and the whole remainder of the christmas rush being an ineffiecient mess with lots of irritated and unsatisfied customers.

In other words, if we did this 25 strong, would management have no choice but to begrudgingly keep us all on staff?
Oh you kids! Yes, go ahead and do it, biggest prank of the season, I'm willing to bet the store manager is going to be rolling on the floor laughing his ass off at getting punked. You're absolutely right, where the hell are they going to find 25 new people who can lift merch and stock shelves, unload trucks, bar scan at the register, help out needy customers????? You know management has no idea how specialized your jobs are. No, you go right ahead, you got him! Have some fun!

Forgot to add- don't leave us hanging, be sure to post the results in your spare time. Comedy is such a great career path.

Last edited by snowtired14; 11-13-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-13-2017, 01:21 PM

9,966 posts, read 8,878,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

As a district manager, if I caught wind of any such plan as you propose, the store would be closed for two weeks, the management re-assigned, and a troubleshooter manger brought in along with a few key staff. Every employee would be terminated (in a right to work state, you need no reason to terminate) and a new staff hired and properly trained. If you get around at all, you will often see places where there is a sign "under new management." That usually means the entire crew including managers were terminated.

Your chances of forcing a major chain to bend to any sort of extortion are slim to none. With social media and the interconnectedness of everything these days, such a prank could easily continue to damage you for years to come. I trust this answers your question.
While I agree with just about everything you wrote, to close the store two weeks during the busiest five weeks of the year would be a horrible, horrible management decision. July? Maybe. November/December? You'd probably be looking for another job.

Old 11-13-2017, 01:41 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,153,828 times
There's a big rush at Micheal's on Black Friday?

I assume that management rose up from the ranks and could do your jobs in pinch. If the company hires seasonal workers and can call in workers from other stores for the day, they'd be all right. You and how many other of your co workers who are involved in this stupid 'prank' would not be. You might as well be on Black Friday vacation permanently because you'd be fired if you had the audacity to show up on Saturday. Your reputation in retail would suffer because no employer wants to hire people who want to lead revolts and coups at work. In the end, you'd only be screwing yourselves.

Old 11-13-2017, 03:49 PM

10,485 posts, read 11,586,980 times
I'm trying to take this a little more seriously than most posters.

Still, my first reaction is that you would be fired, along with however many (guaranteed that it won't be all twenty-five) of your coworkers do the same thing.

But I'm trying to understand what the point is. This isn't on Thanksgiving Day, or some other day when most people think it's unfair to expect retail employees to work. This is just a Friday, a day when millions of service, retail, and office workers are going to be at work.

Are you trying to make some kind of philosophical point about living in an acquisitive, commerce-driven society? You may find people who agree with you in principle, but that seems inconsistent with your employment in a retail position. Selling consumer goods for cash is the very essence of the job, and the store that employs you. Surely most Americans understand that for the whole society to function there must be some fraction of us employed selling things to people. Even you understand that, don't you?

Do it or don't do it, but I don't see this working out well for you.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:24 PM

487 posts, read 148,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Really? You've spoken with all 25 employees? I can assure you, you're being played for a fool. The others will show up for work, leaving you and maybe one or two others to be handed your walking papers the next time you show up for work. I have a hard time believing 25 people are not only that stupid, but also dishonorable.

The retail world will carry on without you.
This is undoubtedly correct. Ignore it at your peril.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products