Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 07:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Some of the early notices from the post office simply mean that the seller has bought the label online and printed it out.

That's how it gets the tracking number.

But it doesn't mean it's been shipped. The seller takes the item to the post office or has it picked up and then it is actually scanned into the system. That's what counts. Neither the seller nor ebay has any control over when the post office actually scans the item. In fact, neither the seller nor ebay has any more control at all.

I don't know how your package had so much happen to it in just one day!

My item that arrived yesterday from ebay showed tracking uploaded, then two cities on two different days with transit in between and then it said DELIVERED.

I went out to the mailbox and sure enough, there it was.
Three of the scans are manifest scans and not individual scans. None are the label creation as it's message is 'Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item'.

As to amount of scans in a day, is this enough?

November 20, 2017, 2:58 pm
Delivered
November 20, 2017, 10:18 am
Out for Delivery
November 20, 2017, 10:08 am
Sorting Complete
November 20, 2017, 8:22 am
Arrived at Post Office
November 20, 2017, 6:19 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
November 20, 2017, 3:12 am
In Transit to Destination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 07:05 PM

FWIW: Create a "Informed Delivery" account and you'll get emails and texts each time it gets scanned.

https://reg.usps.com/entreg/LoginAct...n_input.action

Old 11-23-2017, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Sellers providing a tracking number before actually shipping the item, is another pet peeve of mine. But this is nothing like that. This tracking shows the time the package supposedly arrived at my Post Office. The time sorting was supposedly completed, the time the package was supposedly out for delivery, and the time it was supposedly delivered to the parcel locker. Except that none of that happened. It's all bogus tracking information. To top it off the package was also scanned In Transit to Destination, while it was supposedly out for delivery. Which is where I think it actually is, in transit to my post office

I have suspected for a long time that USPS doesn't actually scan each item. I think this proves that. I'm thinking that the item was scheduled to be delivered yesterday but it got held up at the Regional Distribution Facility, and didn't make it on the truck. Which I can fully understand. That happens. But then the tracking should show that it is held up at the distribution facility, not that it arrived and was delivered. How can anyone trust the tracking when it shows bogus details like that?
Problem with many sellers on ebay is that they list USPS, but are actually using a different company for shipping and USPS is only the delivery part. In my list above, the only true individual unit scan was 'Sorting Complete'. Thus you may get funky scans as they get transferred from one system to another.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:09 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Problem with many sellers on ebay is that they list USPS, but are actually using a different company for shipping and USPS is only the delivery part. In my list above, the only true individual unit scan was 'Sorting Complete'. Thus you may get funky scans as they get transferred from one system to another.
This item was picked up by the USPS and is being delivered by the USPS. Here is the entire tracking timeline. The bold parts indicate false information.

Quote:
November 23, 2017, 9:16 am

The item is currently in transit to the destination as of November 23, 2017 at 9:16 am.

November 22, 2017, 9:16 pm
Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility

November 22, 2017, 8:44 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility

November 22, 2017, 3:11 pm
Vacant

November 22, 2017, 11:02 am
Delivered, Parcel Locker

November 22, 2017, 9:45 am

November 22, 2017, 7:41 am
Out for Delivery

November 22, 2017, 7:31 am
Sorting Complete

November 22, 2017, 6:17 am
Arrived at Post Office

November 21, 2017, 9:45 am

November 20, 2017, 11:45 pm
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility

November 20, 2017, 8:19 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

November 20, 2017, 3:51 pm
USPS picked up item

November 20, 2017, 9:40 am
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item

Old 11-23-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
FWIW: Create a "Informed Delivery" account and you'll get emails and texts each time it gets scanned.

https://reg.usps.com/entreg/LoginAct...n_input.action
Cool, but what good does that do if the USPS can't get the information correct?

Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
This item was picked up by the USPS and is being delivered by the USPS. Here is the entire tracking timeline. The bold parts indicate false information.
I have one that looks similar right now. The last update states it's at the Post Office right now stating USPS in possession of item for my zip code and yet the expected delivery date is showing as 11/27. We'll see what it is really is by tomorrow afternoon.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:47 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
Quote:
It looks like it was "delivered" to the USPS Regional Destination Facility and because that facility was busy or something, it wasn't logged in as "arrived" until later that day.

I recently ordered a bunch of stuff on eBay and one of them had a tracking number. When the item didn't get to my house on the estimated shipping day, I checked the tracking number and found out USPS was still awaiting the item. I contacted the shipper who then found the item which had fallen behind her car seat and finally shipped it. That's still better than another item that says it was delivered on the tracking number and there's no hide or hair of it. Now that one I'm worried about.

Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,938,111 times
AND a lot of items you buy on ebay are sent by DHL or some other shipper and then handed over to USPS when they reach the regional destination center... So that is why a lot of times the tracking doesn't jibe....

Old 11-24-2017, 06:27 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,622,430 times
Quote:
It's always possible for it to end up in the wrong place and have to backtrack to get where it needs to go.

Old 11-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
It's always possible for it to end up in the wrong place and have to backtrack to get where it needs to go.
That is possible. I decided that I will go to the Post Office this morning and and ask them. Since it is showing that it was supposedly at the Post Office and delivered, and then not delivered. But my gut feeling is that it is actually being delivered today and the tracking is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products