Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 12:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,681,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Do you mean Powell's? It's an Amazon Marketplace seller. They sell online from their website as well. However, they don't provide adequate information about the condition of used books.

You got it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 12:14 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I go to Barnes and Noble often here in NYC and I see lines of people about to purchase books. ?
No, not everyone is buying books at Barnes and Noble. They sell a lot of items that are not books, including toys, DVDs, movies, tech gadgets, etc.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
I would rather go to B&N and buy a book there then buy online at Amazon. I like to support bookstores whenever possible.
Same here, I just don't think most hardback novels are worth $25.00 when I could get it at the library or through a book swap.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:23 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
I like bookstores and truthfully amazon at most has only been 2 maybe 3 bucks cheaper.

if i know exactly what i want I may go on amazon but I'm also that way with clothes

Old 12-28-2017, 05:19 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
I'm a library girl myself. I rarely buy books. I do donate money to our local library because they are an invaluable resource to the community. I did buy books at Barnes and Noble as gifts though. Honestly, that's the only time I buy books unless someone gives me a gift card.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:24 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Especially since online sales often avoid state sales-tax, costing states billions in lost revenue.
That's not really Amazon's fault. That's the customer who is evading sales tax.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:26 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
If the states don't require the online businesses to collect tax, then those businesses won't pay any.

Per this link: https://www.moneytalksnews.com/the-4...les-tax-april/

There are only 5 states where they don't collect.

Don't blame Amazon, blame the states.
Those 5 states don't have a tax to be collected for purchased items. This is true online or in person. Blame the people who fail to pay taxes they owe.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Especially since online sales often avoid state sales-tax, costing states billions in lost revenue.
Depends on the state. My state had a big argument with Amazon. Once they set up a facility in NY, then they were forced to collect sales tax. They tried to fight it, but lost.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM

Amazon is okay but I'd recommend against buying anything on Ebay. The prices tend to be inflated way above retail. You can get the same thing cheaper in any store. I've seen people selling hardback books on Ebay for the same price that B&N does, sometimes more. Many are amateur sellers who earn little profit anyway.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Yeah, I sometimes wonder about B&N's future. We've already lost Borders! I'd hate to be resigned to visiting libraries
Libraries are the best. When I move new places, the first thing I seek out is the library. I get my library card and I'm good to go. I have spent so many happy moments in libraries. Browsing, reading, enjoying the feel of being surrounded by so many well-used books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I actually like going to Barnes N Nobel sometimes just to look around. Sometimes I will find books that I didn't know existed. That's kinda hard to do online.
I love looking around bookstores for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Libraries are one of the most, if not THE most, underrated things in our society in my opinion. It will be a sad day if/when they go away. Bookstores, not quite as much, but I will also be extremely sad when they go away. I have lots of great memories browsing bookstores.
I completely agree on all counts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No, not everyone is buying books at Barnes and Noble. They sell a lot of items that are not books, including toys, DVDs, movies, tech gadgets, etc.
Those "other things" are the things I would get from our local Barnes and Noble. Unfortunately, it recently left and was replaced by a World Market. I miss browsing and purchasing other things there.

I rarely buy books. My mom was a huge book buyer, my kids love having their own books (we do have a huge collection- I will occasionally buy for them), but I am a library girl all the way. I do have a few books of my own, but they are mainly resource guides for my job. I am an avid reader. I read probably 2-4 books a week. Ebooks, physical books, whatever. 99% are from the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products