Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:24 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times

Advertisements

Me and my wife are thinking about purchasing a Samsung front load washer/dryer and a refrigerator. Has anyone had any problems with Samsung appliances, or recommend it?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 06:40 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
we purchased the samsung front loader washer and dryer about 2 years ago from Lowe's, I believe. Anyhow, the dryer was the first problem child! The worst part about samsung is getting technicians in my area to come out and service the thing. They did not have very many service people who were certified to use samsung, so the one place that would come to my house was hard to get a hold of. Anyhow, my dryer had to be repaired 3 times (in a period of months) because the sensor was faulty, and even after being replaced it still didn't work. Because the repair person came out so often, he actually felt sorry for me and told the main samsung office that I needed the dryer replaced. He really had to fight with the main samsung headquarters to get this done. Ultimately, I got a new dryer. The downside was the difficulty in getting the service done, having to order the parts and wait for them, etc.

About 3 months after my warranty expired on the washer, it wouldn't drain, and again I called the samsung people. It was not covered, not under warranty, and we had to pay about 200 to get it fixed.

SO, our experience has not been great, but when they are working, they work really well!!!!! I have the silver care on the washer and have used that many times, and I like it.

Leigh

Old 04-04-2009, 06:57 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,681 times
I considered a samsung refrigerator, the $900 bottom freezer model at Lowes, until I realized that gallon milk jugs wouldn't fit in the door (every other refrigerator can fit a gallon milk jug in the door, and this has been a standard feature for many years). So if this is important to you, make sure you check on it before you buy the Samsung!

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,812,110 times
Thanks guys!

Let me explain the reason why we even decided to consider Samsung applicances. We are buying a new house and want a washer, dryer and fridge. We've been shopping around, asking questions and the salesman at Lowe's seemed to be the most informative of them all.

He told us that only Samsung refrigerators have a top evaporator which will keep the food fresher for a longer period of time, rather than the American models, which has its evaporator in the freezer and just pumps cold air to the fridge via vents. I thought this was a very good point, because obviously we need our foods to last longer (we throw out stuff all the time, and I am not happy about that). The model we specifically was looking at was RFG297AARS. But since then, all we've been hearing so far are bad reviews about Samsung in general (we could only find 1 review for RFG297AARS, at Amazon). So I guess my question here will be - how bad is it without a separate evaporator in the fridge? Any insights into this?

OK, now about the washer - again, he said Samsung seems to be the one model which can be put on the second floor because it has VRT (Vibration Reduction Technology) to prevent the floor being shook by the washer vibrations. How bad are the ones without the vibration reduction technologies?

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
I was just at Lowes today and didn't even see Samsung W/Ds. ? PS I bought a mid/low end Whirpool W and D. Someone pls tell me I didn't screw up. I just didn't want to pay a ton and from what data I could gather, Whirlpool is considered decent, at least.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:33 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,174,224 times
we bought the Samsung front loaders for the VRT aspect as well. they're about a year old and have had no issues. i did have a dryer go bad, but Best Buy determined it was because their install people goofed when installing the power cord. they replaced the entire unit one day after i called them.

our biggest concern was vibration because we were living in a 2nd story apartment at the time we purchased them. we never had a single issue with it, even with the laundry room being right off the living room. we specifically avoided the LG brand because too many people complained about the unreal amount of vibration. one word of advise, though. the washer needs to be 100% dead-on level. when we moved, i just shoved it into place and let it ride. big mistake! it was hopping and jumping all over the place. a little time with a level and the supplied wrench, though, and all is now well again.

as for the service issue, i had heard that about Samsung as well. to avoid it, i bought the service plan from Best Buy so that THEY have to deal with them, not me. realistically, i would have bought it anyway regardless of the brand since it's good peace of mind.

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,222 times
My home came with a Samsung refridgerator. It is good quality. I'd rec. it if the price is right, however, you may want to explore cheaper fridges. They do make the best TV, imo.

This is my recs. for Fridge and Washer/Dryer.. I have both and they held up well:

GE Profile Refridgerator: Pricey, I think, but works very well and very functional!!

GE Profile at Lowe's: 28.5 Cu. Ft. Side-by-Side Refrigerator (Color: Stainless)#

GE Profile Washer: GE Profile at Lowe's: 4.2 Cu. Ft. Colossal Capacity Frontload Washer (Color: Red) ENERGY STAR® Great red color, however, you can try Electrolux for a cheaper option.

GE Profile Dryer: GE Profile at Lowe's: 4.2 Cu. Ft. Colossal Capacity Frontload Washer (Color: Red) ENERGY STAR®

The price is worth it since I'm sure you can get at least 7 years out of something you use everyday or twice a week.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 8,309 times
Samsung has the worst customer service and understand Lowes too have a tough time dealing with them. I purchased a DV218 dryer and within a year the belt broke. Being under manufacturer warranty, the rep came and said the belt/motor needs to be replaced. It's been a month now and Samsung is still giving me a run around saying the part is on back order. Will never go for any samsung product.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
My mother-in-law has a samsung refiidgerator and loves it;had it 5 years. I looked at it and it seem to have very nice shelfs and I like the fact that the freezer and refirdaerator have different colling systems. The ice makers is alos nice in that it feeds the cie slower and it doesn't over fill easily.But i have to say that all the people i know do not like their front loader washers as they say cloths smell especailly towels.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:05 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
We have the Samsung 65" TV, and the front load washer and dryer. We like all of our Samsung products, but the washer is like a jet engine taking off! We do not have the VRT machines - those came out AFTER we already bought ours. They've been good for us, but like I said, the noise and vibration of the washer is kind of a hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products