U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What percentage discount do you think is the largest reasonable Best Offer Price?
5% 1 10.00%
10% 0 0%
15% 0 0%
20% 4 40.00%
25% 1 10.00%
30% 1 10.00%
40% 0 0%
50% 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-16-2017, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
6,476 posts, read 2,580,562 times
Reputation: 8648

Advertisements

For I think the first time ever, I just had a Best Offer Price I made on eBay declined. I guess the seller considered my offer to be a Low Ball Offer. Because his feedback shows that he does accept a lot of Best Offers. Anyway it kind of surprised me, and got me thinking about what is a reasonable expectation for a Best Offer Price.

So I'm wondering what percentage discount do most people offer, with a reasonable expectation that it will be accepted. Or if you are a seller what is the largest price reduction that you would accept, assuming that your price was reasonable to begin with.

Thanks in advance for taking the poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2017, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,755 posts, read 20,994,279 times
Reputation: 17325
There's no formula or percentage - it depends on the value of the item!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2017, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
6,476 posts, read 2,580,562 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
There's no formula or percentage - it depends on the value of the item!
Doesn't there have to be a percentage formula? I do understand how the value of the item is important, but you can't expect the same amount off a $5 item that you would expect off a $50 item. Also value is in the eye of the beholder. So that is kind of tricky. It's seems to me like there has to be a formula similar to say how you determine how much to tip a server.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Alexandria, VA
11,755 posts, read 20,994,279 times
Reputation: 17325
There isn't but you are apparently determined that there is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2017, 10:03 PM
Status: "I Have A New Attitude Going Into 2020." (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: Spurs country. "Go, Spurs, Go!"
3,616 posts, read 4,198,066 times
Reputation: 9628
I go into an offer knowing the max I am willing to pay. And my max includes shipping and handling. I have found items of all sorts with a price I am willing to pay, then I see the S&H which jacks up the price. Nope. There will be another one soon if not already up for auction. For this reason I usually only shop for items with free shipping, then I judge the BIN price. If I can get it for the same price as my local store, then I will buy it at the local store.

I think you are making buying on ebay a lot more difficult than it should be. For a $5.00 item it seems like it would be worth it to pay $5.00. Why would you need to make an offer X percent less?

Can you give an example of what you are speaking of so I can understand how you buy on ebay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 07:35 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
6,476 posts, read 2,580,562 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I go into an offer knowing the max I am willing to pay. And my max includes shipping and handling. I have found items of all sorts with a price I am willing to pay, then I see the S&H which jacks up the price. Nope. There will be another one soon if not already up for auction. For this reason I usually only shop for items with free shipping, then I judge the BIN price. If I can get it for the same price as my local store, then I will buy it at the local store.

I think you are making buying on ebay a lot more difficult than it should be. For a $5.00 item it seems like it would be worth it to pay $5.00. Why would you need to make an offer X percent less?

Can you give an example of what you are speaking of so I can understand how you buy on ebay?
Well for one thing, even if I see an item is listed for $5, and it is worth $5 to me, I would offer $4, just because the seller has already told me that they are willing to accept less, by putting the Best Offer tag on it. If I really wanted the item bad, maybe I would offer $4.50. Because, I'm just not going to pay more then I need to.

In my case though, the Buy It Now price of the item was $12.99, so I offered $10 even. After doing some more research, I have come to the conclusion that the seller is just an idiot. My offer was reasonable, and not even the lowest reasonable offer I could have made. That item is not likely to sell for more than $10.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for what most people consider to be a reasonable offer. That's the purpose of the poll. I have been becoming more confident in my offers, and steadily lowering my best Offer prices, but I don't want to be known as a Low Baller either.

About free shipping, better then that is to search for Price + Shipping Lowest First. Then you get the lowest combined price. That moves the S&H price gougers to the bottom of the list. Thinking about that, it would be fun, when you see an item for $19.99 plus $15 shipping to make a Best Offer of exactly $19.99, aka Free Shipping. LOL. Unfortunately, most price gougers don't generally put a Best Offer option on their item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Saint John, IN
11,079 posts, read 4,303,256 times
Reputation: 13653
Depends on the product and list price. I do a lot of buying and selling on Ebay and it drives me crazy when sellers put a "Best price offer" option and then decline an offer for only a few dollars under the list price or they counter with only reducing the price by a dollar! I usually send them a message asking what's the point of having the best offer option if they are only going to take a dollar off or decline with no counter! I then tell them that they lost the sale entirely and I will buy from someone who is willing to be logical!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2017, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
6,476 posts, read 2,580,562 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Depends on the product and list price. I do a lot of buying and selling on Ebay and it drives me crazy when sellers put a "Best price offer" option and then decline an offer for only a few dollars under the list price or they counter with only reducing the price by a dollar! I usually send them a message asking what's the point of having the best offer option if they are only going to take a dollar off or decline with no counter! I then tell them that they lost the sale entirely and I will buy from someone who is willing to be logical!
I'm not even going to waste my time sending the seller a message to tell them why they lost the sale. If they don't want to accept a lower amount, I do wonder what the purpose of them putting Best Offer on the item is. Are they just testing the waters to see how much people are willing to spend on it? If that is what they are doing, they are losing sales. I have sold a few things in my lifetime for less money than I wanted for them. But I accepted the offers, because I wanted to get rid of the items. If the seller doesn't accept a reasonable offer, that's a sign they are just not serious about selling the item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2017, 10:08 AM
 
Location: northern New England
2,883 posts, read 1,313,109 times
Reputation: 11357
I am a seller and I had an item at $7 with free shipping. Buyer offered $4. I responded with $6, and a short note that at $4, with $2.61 shipping, about 10 cents in shipping supplies, and ebay/PP fees I would not be making any money. They did not counter offer (I would have declined).

What gets me is the ones with a sob story. "I'm on a fixed income, I need presents for my grandbabies, wah wah wah." Then I look at their FB and they have over 30 in the last month, as buyer. They are obviously buying up a storm. No thank you. Blocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2017, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Oregon Coast
6,476 posts, read 2,580,562 times
Reputation: 8648
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I am a seller and I had an item at $7 with free shipping. Buyer offered $4. I responded with $6, and a short note that at $4, with $2.61 shipping, about 10 cents in shipping supplies, and ebay/PP fees I would not be making any money. They did not counter offer (I would have declined).

What gets me is the ones with a sob story. "I'm on a fixed income, I need presents for my grandbabies, wah wah wah." Then I look at their FB and they have over 30 in the last month, as buyer. They are obviously buying up a storm. No thank you. Blocked.
That's crazy. $4 on a $7 item is almost a 50% discount. I have never made an offer that low. The lowest I have ever made an offer is about a 30% discount. On a $7 item, I would probably offer $5 $5.50 or $6, depending on how much I wanted the item, and how much I thought the item was worth.

I think you made the right decision with blocking the sob story buyer. That is not your problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top