Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:52 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times

Advertisements

Hallmark still sells .99 cards, sure they aren't as fancy as the more expensive ones, but who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 11:58 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Buy boxed cards on sale. The price can break down to 25 cents per card or even less.

Nobody I know, buys individual Christmas cards for each person they send to. And I certainly don't expect anyone I know to spend 10 or even 5 dollars to send me a Christmas card.

Old 12-25-2017, 11:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Hallmark still sells .99 cards, sure they aren't as fancy as the more expensive ones, but who cares?
Right. It's the thought that counts, and a handwritten message inside the card is what counts. And the time they took to write and send it. I love getting those in the mail, I don't need a fancy, expensive "Papyrus" brand card.

Old 12-25-2017, 01:33 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
So much money for something you throw out. Basically my cards are delivery systems for birthday checks. I buy boxes of very generic birthday cards from Half Price Books. But I’m tired of that.

I might look into making cards. Sounds like fun

Old 12-25-2017, 04:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
You guys need to donate to a charity. Just send five bucks to any one of them (Easter Seals, Breast Cancer, etc.) and before you know it, you'll have 15,000 charities sending you "free gifts" in the mail round the clock, in many cases holiday cards.
I once did 34 cards and used the Easter Seals stickers for stamps...2 were returned for "Insufficient Postage"......Hee hee hee...

Old 12-25-2017, 05:44 PM

6,817 posts, read 10,510,104 times
That's expensive - I think you can find much cheaper ones. Also, whenever charities send Christmas cards I keep those and use those for free. I also use e-cards like jacquielawson.com .

Old 12-25-2017, 06:33 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,335 times
Quote:
Dollar stores are your best bet....I only pay a buck....that’s my limit

I think I've only spent that much on cards in the past 10 years!

I mean, people actually still give greeting cards? In 2017? (Serious question, not trolling).

Old 12-25-2017, 06:54 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I think I've only spent that much on cards in the past 10 years!

I mean, people actually still give greeting cards? In 2017? (Serious question, not trolling).
Yes, I send 16 a year. Usually, they are delivery systems for birthday checks or Christmas gift cards. I send my aged aunt silly cards with notes and pictures in them. She loves to get happy mail!

All these people get phone calls, too. I’m not local to any of them. But I love them all the same.

Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
^^^^Yes, because there are some people who not only like receiving them, but those of us who like sending them so others can get something personal and special in their mailbox instead of the usual bills and junk mail. I like to send a personal favorite tea bag or packet of flower seeds inside the card or letter as a special surprise. Photos, newpaper or magazine articles, or those pocket cards or calendars also fit nicely into them without adding to the weight and cost of the card/letter.

I keep the fronts of pretty greeting cards and use them as postcards. This tip was given in a newspaper article many years ago. I checked with the post office, and yes, they can be sent this way. If postcard sized, a postcard stamp (less expensive) will work, if letter size or oversize, then a full price stamp is needed.

Extra photos can also be used this way. I take a pen and ruler or similar and divide the card/photo into 2 sections, the smaller right hand side for the name and address of the recipient, and the larger space on the left side for my greeting or message. Works great in a pinch, such as you need an unexpected card of some sort to send and don't have any. It saves money as well.

I also like Estate sales. Not yard or garage sales as these are usually young parents selling baby items, children's items, toys, outgrown but still good clothes, etc. Estate sales are full of the items we all still have, used to have, remember from our parents home growing up, want to replace that which has been lost, broken, or stolen. I look for and buy greeting cards from these sales. Comes in very handy to have cards on hand that only cost me .10 cents apiece or less.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Dollar Tree works great. two for $1.00 or $1.00 each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products