U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dislike Christmas shopping, seeking people who do not like Christmas shopping, crowded stores, rude customers, waiting in line forever, people not paying attention

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,143,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I too love to shop (maybe it's the Texas gene...) but the traffic here in Houston is so horrible that there really isn't any good time at this time of year. I avoid the malls as much as possible, order on line as much as possible and try not to wait til the last minute (that is the true deciding factor as to how much I enjoy the process). I also try to go to less traditional stores whenever possible such as Tuesday Morning for sheets & towels my daughter wants and men's clothing at Stein Mart.
Tuesday Morning is a fantastic store to shop in, especially if you get in there right after they've been closed for restocking. I've purchased all my bed linens there, 800-1200 Thread Count sheets (what luxury to slip into at night!), I've purchased luggage, crystal, cooking utinsels, and also all my table lamps I purchased at Tuesday Morning. They're also a great place to get stemware, pillows, etc.
Ross has some amazing goodies too in their housewares area, same with Burlington Coat Factory. I like shopping in those stores because there's always something I will like. But of all of them, Tuesday Morning is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 12:00 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,387,780 times
I love to shop. Christmas shopping at this time of year is another matter. I do not have the patience for it. That is why I am done by Thanksgiving with all of my shopping.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 PM

613 posts, read 749,568 times
After working at Dillard's forever....and now working somewhere else, it has gotten to where I hate to go shopping. I had enough of the mall life and now I would rather be at home spending my time doing something else. I do like to go to Jefferson, TX on occasion antique and thrift shopping, but unless it's to the grocery store or WalMart for the usual have to have stuff....I'd rather spend my day with my husband or family.

Old 12-11-2006, 04:03 PM

1,261 posts, read 3,924,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Ok, looks like I'm the only shopper here. I LOVE to shop, I could do it all day everyday if I had the money. Since I have no job that means no shopping at least very little. I can shop anytime of the year but I really like to do at Christmas, I love being out with the people, it's exciting to me.
I love shopping, too. I just don't like going if I'm in a hurry. Kind of ruins the fun of it.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:37 PM

53 posts, read 201,643 times
I am right there with you I don't care much to shop at christmas. The worst in people tend to come out with trying to find a place to park, people tend to be so rude, and it never fails there is always some screaming kid that screams forever that the parents never seem to discipline.

I like the gift cards, the visa has a new one you can put a dollar amount on it and give and that way they can use it any way they want, gas, dinner etc.
Nothing is worse buying something for someone only to find out they dont like it. It is like money wasted.

Enough, what can we talk about that is positive?

Old 12-11-2006, 10:04 PM

21,262 posts, read 39,807,299 times
Default Watch out, they're skinnin' us again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
....I've purchased all my bed linens there, 800-1200 Thread Count sheets (what luxury to slip into at night!).....
Buddy, be leery of thread counts....I still think 300 count is great stuff, then all of a sudden I see counts like 800, 1000, 1200, in the ads - without any quantum leaps in manufacturing technology. Turns out it is the METHOD of counting the threads that changed - at least with some sellers of bed linens.

Under the standard method, only actual threads are counted, thus 300-count is good goods. These days, some count the number of strands of cotton that are wrapped around each other to make one thread. A single thread is made from multiple strands of fiber.

Some count only the threads and some count the threads and multiply it by the number of strands in the thread, giving a highly inflated "thread count" that sounds like some sort of amazing high quality stuff but it simply isn't any better. One seller's 800 count may turn out to be only a 200 count by the other method of counting.

Fabrics can be coated with finishes to make them smooth to the touch. If you like the sheets that all that matters.

I get a BOHICA feeling when they play fast & loose with facts & numbers. Figures lie and liars figure. Ahhh, truth in advertising....

s/Mike

PS: BOHICA is Army for "Bend Over Here It Comes Again" when a boss comes around with another of the commander's stupid "improvement" programs, etc. Man, I've seen the all: Zero Defects, Malcolm Baldrige Quality Improvement Methodology, Quality Circles, Remedial Action Program, Six Sigma, Management by Objective, and a favorite of some General Officers, good old Theory X style called Management by Fear. Been there, seen them all, got a wall full of certificates of training, errr, that's a lie, they've all been put through my shredder since I retired from Civil Service.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:17 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,143,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Buddy, be leery of thread counts....I still think 300 count is great stuff, then all of a sudden I see counts like 800, 1000, 1200, in the ads - without any quantum leaps in manufacturing technology. Turns out it is the METHOD of counting the threads that changed - at least with some sellers of bed linens.

Under the standard method, only actual threads are counted, thus 300-count is good goods. These days, some count the number of strands of cotton that are wrapped around each other to make one thread. A single thread is made from multiple strands of fiber.

Some count only the threads and some count the threads and multiply it by the number of strands in the thread, giving a highly inflated "thread count" that sounds like some sort of amazing high quality stuff but it simply isn't any better. One seller's 800 count may turn out to be only a 200 count by the other method of counting.

Fabrics can be coated with finishes to make them smooth to the touch. If you like the sheets that all that matters.

I get a BOHICA feeling when they play fast & loose with facts & numbers. Figures lie and liars figure. Ahhh, truth in advertising....

s/Mike

PS: BOHICA is Army for "Bend Over Here It Comes Again" when a boss comes around with another of the commander's stupid "improvement" programs, etc. Man, I've seen the all: Zero Defects, Malcolm Baldrige Quality Improvement Methodology, Quality Circles, Remedial Action Program, Six Sigma, Management by Objective, and a favorite of some General Officers, good old Theory X style called Management by Fear. Been there, seen them all, got a wall full of certificates of training, errr, that's a lie, they've all been put through my shredder since I retired from Civil Service.
I agree with what you're saying, but the sets I've purchased have been real, not fake, and they're amazing and lasted for years. I agree 300tc to 350tc you'll find occasionally at Target, etc. But really good Egyptian cotton high tc sheets....believe me...you can tell the quality! And... although I don't require them on my bed, I sure notice the difference immediately! Tuesday Morning actually sell the real McCoy at amazing prices.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 PM

431 posts, read 315,623 times
Default Shopping solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
I just got back from Christmas shopping and as usual it's a zoo out there.I get frustrated as all hell trying to get through the mob of people.Then if you do buy something you have to wait forever in line to pay for it.I guess I have no patience or tolerance for the crowds.It just bothers me when people don't pay attention to what their doing or where their walking.My goal was to go out today and get my shopping done.Guess what,I didn't get nothing for anybody,so I have to do it all over again. All was not lost though,I did buy myself something, a new cellphone.
TWO WORDS:

Online shopping - it's the greatest thing since hair spray! There is absolutely nothing that you can't buy online. You can even have it wrapped before it's shipped to you or to the recipient if you like. And many retailers will send you the wrapping paper, box and ribbon to do it yourself. It's great! So many options online - in the comfort and quiet of your own home at your own leisurely pace; no lines, no parking nightmares and no rude customer service folks :-)

Old 12-11-2006, 11:48 PM

21,262 posts, read 39,807,299 times
We do on-line shopping more and more, have for years. Love it.

I like XMAS shopping, but not the crowds and the insane traffic that is the norm back in the DC areas of Northern VA. If I had the mall all to myself I'd go...maybe....if the bar were open....but I think the "mall" experience is over-rated and for sure it's on the way out. Big box & stand-alone stores and on-line shopping are where it's at these days. Seems EVERY mall, in every state, has the same set of stores...The Gap, Hallmark, Mrs Fields, Spencer Gifts, yadda yadda, always the same chains in every mall, seen one, seen them all...goodbye malls.

It gripes me to see a few Xmas teasers in the malls right after Labor Day, another reason we avoid malls once Fall rolls around. The commercialization of Xmas is so disgusting that I can barely contain my anger with the business world.

Now that we're retired, we've stopped buying for nieces/nephews that are out of school, only two left out of ten. Other relatives are off the list too, save for her parents, mine are gone.

We haven't gone to a "mall" for years, too crazy, and too much schlocky stuff. They put the schlocky stuff (Totes unbrella's, books of factoids to read while on the potty) on tables in the middle of the aisles which restricts the ability to navigate already crowded stores. I don't know what they're thinking but it just drives me away and causes me nothing but contempt for the marketing types who stack this crap in the aisles at Xmas time. A pox on them all.

Then there's the annual ads, the ones that you only see this time of year. Like that fragrance with Liz Taylor's name on it....can't live without....oh yeah, like she's been in the perfume biz all her life or something. Sure. And those little balls of crispy chocolate wrapped in fake-gold aluminum foil. Only at Xmas. Yeah, I'm a real class guy for eating that stuff. Thanks, but I'll stick to a Nestle's Crunch and get my chocolate fix a LOT cheaper from the local gas station mart.

It really does break my heart to see poor working families load up shopping carts at the local mega-lo-mart with crappy toys and stuff that will be broke or forgotten in a few weeks....while the usurious credit card bills last all year....then it begins all over. I wish America could get away from the annual orgy of spending and get back to what really matters....family, love, health, happiness...not some stupid mass-produced crap that's been planned for them since last February. Let the foreign sweatshops that pay their peasants about $1.50 per day go find suckers, err, I mean customers, somewhere else.

I see red when I see news reports that imply we should pity those poor merchants out there wringing their hands over whether or not Black Friday and the annual spending insanity will put them in the black for the year. Oh those poor souls, let's all shed a tear and see if we can somehow help these forlorn mega-billion dollar outfits survive and not have stacks of cheap plastic crap left over when January rolls around. Of course the papers and media play up this crap, they have to in order to keep the same billion dollar outfits spending on advertising. The average American lemming dutifully trots to the mall and dumps his/her money in the registers...Ka-CHING! BAH-loney, stay home. Keep your money in your own pockets.

Speaking of the "poor merchants" there are NO merchants left, the moms & pops are all gone, these were the true merchants. They've been driven out by every conceivable form of big box store you can name. Wall Street calls this "rolling up" an industry, as Home Depot and Lowe's "rolled up" the hardware store industry and rolled out all the small hardware merchants. Most lines of merchandise have been rolled up....name me any retail line or genre that hasn't been rolled up yet.....Back in the DC area, Total Beverage rolled up all the mom/pop wine merchants...all gone....Crown Books rolled up all the mom/pop book sellers....the list goes on...seen any mom/pop sellers of pet food lately... books... auto parts... hardware... electronics... crafts... shoes... music... cookware... precious few moms & pops left anywhere.

For many years we shopped at craft fairs, usually in late summer or early fall. Lots of fun, easy pace, and get items made by hand in THIS country as opposed to coming in by the shipload from o'seas. Some craft shows are pretty high class affairs, with juries to judge the finer arts, like pottery and artwork. One of the best back in the DC area was the Sugarloaf series of shows, these were superb, with great food too, like handmade maccaroons from a bunch of ladies in Arlington, VA....Italian Sausages....fried oysters....try getting THAT at the mall food court....besides Xmas gifts, we found many nice arty things for the house too.

I don't miss XMAS shopping, and malls, one itty bitty bit.

s/Mike

Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 1,945,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannie View Post
TWO WORDS:

Online shopping - it's the greatest thing since hair spray! There is absolutely nothing that you can't buy online. You can even have it wrapped before it's shipped to you or to the recipient if you like. And many retailers will send you the wrapping paper, box and ribbon to do it yourself. It's great! So many options online - in the comfort and quiet of your own home at your own leisurely pace; no lines, no parking nightmares and no rude customer service folks :-)
I think I will try this next year.I use to like going out and looking for gifts but this is getting ridiculous.I always go out in a good mood then wind up getting ill as hell when I return home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products