U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Dislike Christmas shopping, seeking people who do not like Christmas shopping, crowded stores, rude customers, waiting in line forever, people not paying attention

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,925,252 times

Advertisements

I prefer in-store shopping to online shopping. I like to be able to see and hold and check something over (& try it on if it's clothes or shoes) before I decide on buying it. I don't mind buying movies, books or CDs online though. Those purchases have turned out fine. I haven't bought anything online in about a year though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 12:17 PM

3,350 posts, read 12,796,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CabinFever View Post
I just got back from Christmas shopping and as usual it's a zoo out there.I get frustrated as all hell trying to get through the mob of people.Then if you do buy something you have to wait forever in line to pay for it.I guess I have no patience or tolerance for the crowds.It just bothers me when people don't pay attention to what their doing or where their walking.My goal was to go out today and get my shopping done.Guess what,I didn't get nothing for anybody,so I have to do it all over again. All was not lost though,I did buy myself something, a new cellphone.
I don't like the crowds so I try to stay away. Luckily my children are older and my daughter loves to shop (just like mom) so I give her the cash and some ideas and off she goes. I always purchase a special piece of jewelry each year as a combination Christmas / Anniversary present (both days are close to each other) but the luxury is that I have a very good friend who is a jeweler so I go to his store by appointment and I deal with him direct. I already picked out the piece and he is in the process of making it as we speak. My wife and I would rather take a nice trip (like a 10 day cruise with our kids instead of buying gifts all year long (birthdays, mothers day, fathers day etc.) We enjoy it much more and there are always good memories. If you know what you want why don't you just shop online which is probably much easier. Or go to the mall and see if they have a all store gift certificate. Buy each a certificate and let them pick out what they want. Sometimes that's the best gift of all. Good luck and happy holidays!

Old 12-12-2006, 12:42 PM

347 posts, read 1,995,938 times
One word: Ebay

Online shopping (particularly Ebay) is a GODSEND in the holiday season. I love Ebay because I can take a family member's favorite hobby or pasttime and type it into the search box and come up with a bunch of great gift ideas for very little money and I don't even have to leave the house! My parents are really into their motorhome vacations (that's all they do and talk about) so I typed in Motorhome into the Ebay search thingy and found a really cool Motorhome shaped picture frame - the windows of the motorhome was where the photos go and I put a bunch of pics of our family vacations in there and they LOVED it! It's a great way to get really personalized gifts without being boring and doing the cash/gift card thing but avoiding the crowds. I highly recommend it.

For Teens and Young Adults I recommend the Visa and Mastercard Gift cards they have now or the universal mall gift cards where it is charged for a certain amount (say $50) and the person can spend it wherever they like! It's more fun than cash and kids feel special when they get to use a "credit card" even if it is just a gift card.

Old 12-12-2006, 04:15 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,422,389 times
I might be one of the few males that actually enjoy shopping (to an extent). The only type of shopping I don't like is shopping for clothes. I go out twice per year and buy all my clothes. I'm very picky about what I wear so it takes forever when I buy clothes, usually the colour isn't right, the size is wrong, or it looks to be made cheaply.

On the other hand, I love to shop for electronics, home items, appliances, and just about everything else. I have actually spent a full day in Best Buy just oogling the new electronic goodies. MoMark's Waterford Crystal Chandelier has persuaded me to buy a set of Waterford Crystal stemware.

I Christmas-shop, til-I-drop. I get a thrill out of buying the gifts and knowing that it'll make another person happy. I'm one of the "crazies" that stand out for a full day to get the bargains on Black Friday. To some it may be hell, but for me it's a big adventure.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:20 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,693,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I might be one of the few males that actually enjoy shopping (to an extent). The only type of shopping I don't like is shopping for clothes. I go out twice per year and buy all my clothes. I'm very picky about what I wear so it takes forever when I buy clothes, usually the colour isn't right, the size is wrong, or it looks to be made cheaply.

On the other hand, I love to shop for electronics, home items, appliances, and just about everything else. I have actually spent a full day in Best Buy just oogling the new electronic goodies. MoMark's Waterford Crystal Chandelier has persuaded me to buy a set of Waterford Crystal stemware.

I Christmas-shop, til-I-drop. I get a thrill out of buying the gifts and knowing that it'll make another person happy. I'm one of the "crazies" that stand out for a full day to get the bargains on Black Friday. To some it may be hell, but for me it's a big adventure.

OMG!!! Your like my husband. I HATE shopping with him. He shops like a woman when it comes to clothes. OMG!!! Don't put it on and stand there for 15 minutes asking how it makes you look or whatever. If you don't like it right off, take it off and move on. I have to be RIGHT there at the dressing room w/ him because he wants my opinion on EVERYTHING he tries on. URGH!!! I on the other hand might get something barely to my knees and take it off and move on. Now, he does not do the Black Friday thing at all. He does not like crowds and such but we will be going out for a full day of Christmas shopping this week to get the stuff I have not already gotten. It will take him FOREVER to decide if something is right or not. Whereas if I don't feel that warm fuzzy all over about something then I don't get it and I usually know right away.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:39 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,144,723 times
I HATE clothes shopping!!!!! I am slim and lanky and clothes generally fit me well just by size, so I know if I grab a M sized shirt off the rack it'll fit. Pants are a bigger problem. I last shopped for major clothes back in 1999. I've added here and there, usually shirts...and usually my shirts tend to be shades of blue..., and then at Christmas I get sweaters and clothing from my parents and grandmother, nice stuff too I just got a huge box of dress socks! I like that I hate clothes shopping so much that I'll buy what I "think" will fit, choosing 31 waist and then holding the pants up to myself and looking down and quickly judging whether they look alright, and then take it home and wear it whether it fits properly or not, like pants that are too short or too long...happens sometimes if you don't try them on in the changing booths...but...I don't like to try things on..I hate hate hate taking my clothes off, putting new ones on, taking them off, putting new ones on, taking them off, putting new ones on, then putting my originals back on...what a pain in the a$$. I just live with whatever the fit ends up being. I won't wear stripes, paisleys, multiple colors, checkered patterns, etc. I like my clothes one color for the shirt, one color for the pants, and I tend to wear blue shirts and khaki colored Dockers, or dark blue dockers. My old boss said that though I dressed appropriately, I could be mistaken for a maintenance man sometimes...
Someday though..I will go clothes shopping on purpose and invite my family along and act like I'm really into it... and then I'll make them stand outside the booth and I'll come out looking really concerned about how the pants fit, turn around while looking over my shoulder back at them and sticking my butt out and I'll say: "Do you think these make me look fat?" and watch them drop to the ground in shock !!!!!!
I ordered the MarieBelle chocolates yesterday afternoon and they've already been delivered to my parent's home in California this afternoon!!!! ! Now when the Swiss Colony petit fours arrive, I'm DONE!!! woo hoo!

Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,139,749 times
I do so much of my Holiday Shopping months before CHRISTMAS, online, wow the deals i find this way, i usually know by now, what most of the things are on my shopping list, and when i find them for a very good deal, i buy. i want the best, and yes i am always looking for that sale. i even email the managers in charge of the store, and tell them i want more off, hey it works some of the time. But out and about at the Malls, and Department Stores, i hate the crowds. Hate the fact that no matter what it is you buy someone, their not going to like it and vice versa.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:14 PM

19,133 posts, read 19,978,923 times
Uhmm, have you noticed your responding to a 3 year old thread?

Uhmm, Christmas is over.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:34 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,367,731 times
80-90% of my Christmas shopping is done online. I cannot handle malls anymore. However, my other discretionary spending increses around the holidays for spending in local or speciality shops.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM

19,133 posts, read 19,978,923 times
Ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products