Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:29 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,004,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Call the credit card company.
And tell them what, exactly?

"I changed my mind on something I bought so I want you to refuse to pay the merchant."

Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 12:10 AM

15,404 posts, read 9,039,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
The only problem with google shopping is that companies have to pay to be shown now. It may help with some items, but just know that many companies won't pay to be shown on that platform.
I used to love Google Shopping before they started that BS. There was a time when I would automatically buy the low price on the Google Shopping results. Then Google messed it up with their greed. Now I never use Google Shopping ever. If I use Google, I use either Google web search or Google Image search. I have been getting pretty good results with Google Image searchs recently. It's easy to identify that it's the correct item from the image. Then I just click on each relevant image and see where it goes. I repeat for each relevant image, until I find which one has the lowest price.

Sometimes if I'm having trouble finding the lowest price, I'll just do a Google web search for the items along with a common low price. Example: "XXX Item $99". If that doesn't return any results, I can be pretty sure I'm not going to get it for $99, so I'll have to try for $109 or $119.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I just did this yesterday on a supplement I ordered on Amazon and then a few hrs later I looked on ebay for the same and it was less expensive enough to contact Amazon to cancel. I have a toll free number from CA and it's 866-216-1072. The C/S person worked at it and got the order cancelled, sent me an email stating all this and I re purchased same thing on ebay.
I love eBay. I usually shop for what I need on eBay first. Then I go to Amazon and Walmart and maybe a few others to see if their prices are lower. Rarely do I find a lower price on Amazon. Sometimes I find it lower on Walmart. eBay is also a great way of getting Amazon Prime items without a prime membership. I've ordered many lowest price items on eBay, and they come in two days shipped from Amazon Prime.

Old 02-04-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
If you can not cancel the order you should return it unopened in its original packaging. DO NOT refuse shipment. Accept shipment and go to your amazon account online and request a return. Amazon will provide you with a prepaid return shipping label. This label will also have a tracking number on it. Make sure you write down that tracking number so you can verify it was shipped back if a problem arises.

The issue with refusing a shipment is it will not have a tracking number and if its sent back via the USPS they will put that package into the slowest class of mail which can take up to 10+ days to be returned.

If it was shipped via UPS or FedEX return shipping is probably faster since their slowest mail is about 5 days.

FYI, amazon and all 3rd party sellers on amazon have to abide by amazon's "30 days return no questions asked" policy. Don't let a 3rd party seller tell you otherwise.
I haven't done it often, but I have never had a problem refusing an item. The tracking number always shows it being returned to sender, so the tracking does show that it was returned, and it is not always by the slowest class of mail. Usually it is returned by the same class of shipping. But even if it does get returned slower, what do you care? You don't want the item anyway. It will eventually get back to the seller and you will get your refund. You are just making a lot of extra work for yourself, and by the time your return is authorized and you ship it back, it could have already been back to the selled, if you had just refused it.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 AM

Here is a little scam I just ran into. I just ordered a specialized piece of audio equipment directly from the manufacturer for $79.00 with free shipping. The item was also listed on Walmart for $79.00 plus $4.00 shipping, and on Amazon for $79.00 plus $5.70 shipping. Walmart and Amazon don't actually carry this item. It's only available from the manufacturer with free shipping. So all Walmart and Amazon are doing it is processing the payment, and sending the order on to the manufacturer. So the $4.00 and $5.70 shipping charges that Walmart and Amazon charge are not really shipping charges. They are actually just a payment processing fee. The only actual cost to Walmart and Amazon is probably a 20 or 30 cent credit card transaction fee. The rest of the so called "shipping" charge is pure profit for them. The only possible advantage to ordering an item like this from Walmart or Amazon is convenience, and if you feel more comfortable ordering from them instead of with a from a company you have never dealt with before. But you have to ask yourself if that convenience is really worth $4.00 to $5.70 just to have your payment processed from Amazon or Walmart.

Old 02-04-2018, 09:56 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,367,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
Last night at 9 pm I ordered something on Amazon, sold by another firm. This morning at 6 am I found another site selling the same product for $130 less. I tried to cancel the order, but Amazon site does not give that option any more for that item. I really doubt the item has been shipped out of seller's facility (and I do see my other order from two days ago still has the "Cancel" button.

Message to the seller to cancel received no reply.

What are my options here? I read somewhere that I can refuse the shipment when it arrives. But what if the company doesn't refund me the money? I would hate to make a bad situation worse.
Mail it back to them, return receipt requested, then dispute charge with your CC company if they won't refund.

I can't stand sellers on amazon or ebay who try to take advantage by jacking up the price on an ordinary product. They deserve to get their orders cancelled. I do not feel sorry for them.

Old 02-04-2018, 01:22 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,588,782 times
Did you know that some items that were purchased from Amazon can be returned at Kohl's? If you start the return process on Amazon you'll get a screen telling you if that's an option.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:16 PM

55 posts, read 45,714 times
I think that's why it's important to double check what you're ordering and where you're ordering it from - even if its on Amazon because of those multiple different sellers.
I always make sure - double, triple-diple check. Because I'm just kind of paranoid.

I've returned several items with Amazon (or their third party sellers) - even after the time period lapsed and I've never had any issue. One time I complained to a seller that I never received an item I had paid for (it had been like 3 weeks) so they refunded me because it was supposed to have been there in 3-5 days. It wound up arriving about a week later lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products