Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 03:51 PM

857 posts, read 958,309 times

Advertisements

Last night at 9 pm I ordered something on Amazon, sold by another firm. This morning at 6 am I found another site selling the same product for $130 less. I tried to cancel the order, but Amazon site does not give that option any more for that item. I really doubt the item has been shipped out of seller's facility (and I do see my other order from two days ago still has the "Cancel" button.

Message to the seller to cancel received no reply.

What are my options here? I read somewhere that I can refuse the shipment when it arrives. But what if the company doesn't refund me the money? I would hate to make a bad situation worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2018, 03:53 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Call the credit card company.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:02 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Call Amazon and speak with customer service.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
I have had this happen a few times with Amazon purchases where the time window to cancel/modify the order had passed.

Once I received the item(s), I kept them intact in the original shipping boxes, unopened ... and sent them back for a full no-questions asked refund. I promptly received the credit back on my credit card, too, once the merchant had received the items per the USPS tracking #.

My purchases were a lot lower priced than yours ... some fishing gear and a couple of high end kitchen knives that I found available for a lot lower price a few days after I'd bought them on Amazon.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:46 PM

I've had this impression that Amazon is a big enough and efficient enough market place, that the lowest price there is the best price I can find. APPARENTLY NOT!

So shop around, folks.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
I've had this impression that Amazon is a big enough and efficient enough market place, that the lowest price there is the best price I can find. APPARENTLY NOT!

So shop around, folks.
Yeah, I learned this about Amazon, as well as the way they trick you now as far as when the clock starts clicking on the 2-day shipping. Sure it ships in 2 days - after the 4-6 day delay for that particular product...

I let my Prime membership lapse. The free shipping is never free. I can find almost everything on Walmart cheaper now, and if I can't get free shipping, I have it delivered to the store to pick it up for free.

I also hate the way Amazon doesn't tell you where something is shipping from. If you aren't really paying attention and happen to notice the time frame you can expect to receive the item, you can find that you were actually ordering something shipped from China and you won't receive it for a month.

If it was me, I'd make sure my request to cancel was in writing (which you did), and you might want to send them another notice saying that you are also submitting a charge-back with your credit card. Put that in the subject line of the email. It will stop them from going ahead and shipping it, then trying to charge you a restocking fee, etc.

I also learned to do all transactions as a credit card transaction, even if it's a debit card. You have way more protections from MasterCard and Visa than from your bank.

Congrats on finding a better deal. Hope the cancelation doesn't turn into a big pain.

Oh, and you also learned another Amazon trick - just look for items sold and shipped by Amazon. Returns are way easier, as you saw.

I'm just way over Amazon. I get better deals from Overstock, too. If I can't find what I want from Walmart, I check Overstock now. Returns can be more of a hassle, I've heard. Fortunately, I haven't had to return anything. But, their prices are usually better than Amazon with no surprises.

Old 01-26-2018, 09:09 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
But by your own admission, you didn't buy this from Amazon itself so what does Amazon's size and operation have to do with the price a non Amazon company charges for an item? You are aware that you can have the exact same items being sold by multiple vendors on Amazon with different prices for that same item?

Old 01-26-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But by your own admission, you didn't buy this from Amazon itself so what does Amazon's size and operation have to do with the price a non Amazon company charges for an item? You are aware that you can have the exact same items being sold by multiple vendors on Amazon with different prices for that same item?
I'm saying in the past I just searched for my item on the Amazon site, found the lowest price among the pool of sellers, Amazon or not, and bought.

I will now double check outside the Amazon site as well.

Old 01-26-2018, 11:04 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Last night at 9 pm I ordered something on Amazon, sold by another firm. This morning at 6 am I found another site selling the same product for $130 less. I tried to cancel the order, but Amazon site does not give that option any more for that item. I really doubt the item has been shipped out of seller's facility (and I do see my other order from two days ago still has the "Cancel" button.

Message to the seller to cancel received no reply.

What are my options here? I read somewhere that I can refuse the shipment when it arrives. But what if the company doesn't refund me the money? I would hate to make a bad situation worse.
Sellers at Amazon are, I believe, required to abide by Amazon's return rules. This third party seller's return policy should be stated on his storefront on Amazon. I'm sure it's the same. They'll refund to you, if the item is not damaged.

When I got an item recently (it was an urn), it wouldn't work for me. So I returned it in a couple of days. It was EASY. I don't think I had ever returned anything to Amazon before. Even so, I had no problems.

I went to Amazon site and searched for how to return a purchase. My item came with a return label, or maybe I had to print one out. Don't remember. But I packed it back in the box carefully, taped it, and put the new label on it, and dropped it off at a UPS store. That was it. I got a confirmation email and refund not long after.

If you do a return, I THINK you have to go to your order on Amazon and click on "return."

They won't be allowed to sell thru Amazon if they don't refund you. So I can't imagine a seller risking being kicked off the site as a seller.

Is it a large item that you can't take to UPS to return?

Old 01-26-2018, 11:15 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:

So shop around, folks.
Not anymore. I used to order a lot from Amazon, but these days, not so much because I get a lower price elsewhere. I also use Ebates, which Amazon doesn't participate in. I also don't have to pay a sales tax for some other sites, but I do from Amazon (except a lot of the third party sellers don't charge sales tax).

You have to watch those third party seller items, too. Sometimes the price is WAY out of whack and way overpriced, to the point of being a scam. Those will not be items that Amazon is selling, but is "also offered" by sellers. Just a seller is selling it.

But I've been shopping at Amazon for many years and never had a problem, even though a number of the items came from third party sellers.

Once a used DVD I bought from a third party seller on Amazon had scratches on it. I emailed him the issue. He immediately issued me a refund and told me not to bother returning it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products