Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 02:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,541,210 times

Advertisements

Had an interesting issue with Amazon today and thought I would pass along a warning to others.

Like many, I have an Amazon account and is was used to purchase items during the holiday season. I was going over my credit card bill today and some charges didn't look right. I compared all the Amazon charges on my credit card bill to my "recent orders" list online.

There were two charges to my credit card that had no order on Amazon. It came to almost $2,000 that I couldn't account for.

I called Amazon. After about 20 minutes of being put on hold while they checked my account, they came back and admitted the charges were fraudulent. The explanation was odd.

Amazon claimed someone used my credt card info and email address to open and account and make purchases. They knew about it and have closed the fraudulent account. Because the other account was closed, they could not give me any other informaiton. They also claimed that the charges on my card were not from Amazon - makes no sense since they saw the charges in their system and my card was billed for those amounts.

I'm really ticked that they knew about this fraud but never notified me.

They also told me they have the charges flagged as fraudulent in their system, but would not reverse the charges to my card. I need to call my credit card company and dispute the charge. I have cancelled my old card and have a replacement on the way.

What a pain in the butt. I'm probably going to cancel my Amazon account. Not only did they have no intention of informing me about fraud on my account, but they also refused to take the fraudulent charges off my account. They were probably hoping the charges would get lost in the confusion of Christmas shopping and I'd pay.

Just passing this along as a reminder... alwasy check your CC bill and make sure each charge is legitimate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2018, 02:55 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Wow. That's effed up. This is why I don't feel bad about returning items to them that were "defective" for a full refund. And since the CEO is the richest man on the planet I'm sure he won't mind.

Old 02-02-2018, 03:26 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Had an interesting issue with Amazon today and thought I would pass along a warning to others.

Like many, I have an Amazon account and is was used to purchase items during the holiday season. I was going over my credit card bill today and some charges didn't look right. I compared all the Amazon charges on my credit card bill to my "recent orders" list online.

There were two charges to my credit card that had no order on Amazon. It came to almost $2,000 that I couldn't account for.

I called Amazon. After about 20 minutes of being put on hold while they checked my account, they came back and admitted the charges were fraudulent. The explanation was odd.

Amazon claimed someone used my credt card info and email address to open and account and make purchases. They knew about it and have closed the fraudulent account. Because the other account was closed, they could not give me any other informaiton. They also claimed that the charges on my card were not from Amazon - makes no sense since they saw the charges in their system and my card was billed for those amounts.

I'm really ticked that they knew about this fraud but never notified me.

They also told me they have the charges flagged as fraudulent in their system, but would not reverse the charges to my card. I need to call my credit card company and dispute the charge. I have cancelled my old card and have a replacement on the way.

What a pain in the butt. I'm probably going to cancel my Amazon account. Not only did they have no intention of informing me about fraud on my account, but they also refused to take the fraudulent charges off my account. They were probably hoping the charges would get lost in the confusion of Christmas shopping and I'd pay.

Just passing this along as a reminder... alwasy check your CC bill and make sure each charge is legitimate.
I would call amazon back and ask for a supervisor. I would explain what was said to me and ask how the above bolded makes any sense. My guess is they were making a point that "Amazon" did not falsely put the charges on your account that someone else did. I would also say that in effect they were paid by your credit card company for these charges. I agree that I am confused as to why they flagged the account as fraudulent, if they in fact had been paid by your credit card company. Why and how would it even come up?

I honestly would give the supervisor a chance to fully explain as I had been involved with a much minor problem and it took a supervisor to get it sorted out. In my case, I renewed a magazine subscription that I originally ordered from Amazon for myself and my sister. Mine was fine, it was renewed for an additional year but for some reason in the case of my sister, they started a new subscription so she was getting duplicates of the magazine. After explaining it to the first person, her reply was, "you can't return this item." I tried to explain again and said I did not want to return it, just correct it. She passed me to someone else who again reiterated that I could not return it and finally I asked to speak to the supervisor. He listened and understood my problem, put me on hold for a minute or so and came back and not only cancelled the duplicate he added 2 more months on to the renewal for my trouble. Point being, sometimes they people you speak to really don't understand the problem.

Good luck.

Old 02-02-2018, 05:19 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I only ever spend under $30 most purchases (but often - Prime perk) so it's easy to track what's legit.

I did have an issue a year ago with fraudulent gift card purchases in the middle of the night. I think it was like 4 $100 that was purchased under my account. I was able to see the name and provided it to them but they couldn't care less. Like they didn't even want to pursue it, but just told me not to worry about the charges. I guess they're too rich to worry about it.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I only ever spend under $30 most purchases (but often - Prime perk) so it's easy to track what's legit.
Similar to my situation. I had several legit charges on the same CC bill, all $20-30. The fraudulent charges were in the $500-700 range. My first thought was "what the hell did I buy?" It really bothered me that I couldn't remember some big purchases. That's when I looked at my order history and couldn't find anything that matched.

I'm just blown away that Amazon knew about this, knew the charges were fraudulent and still took the money with no intention of notifying me.

Quote:
I did have an issue a year ago with fraudulent gift card purchases in the middle of the night. I think it was like 4 $100 that was purchased under my account. I was able to see the name and provided it to them but they couldn't care less. Like they didn't even want to pursue it, but just told me not to worry about the charges. I guess they're too rich to worry about it.

This is common with all companies, including the credit cards. I've been through this a few times, as my Amex card gets compromised about every 18 months.

A few years back Amex called me. Asked if I charged ~$5 at a McDonalds in Yonkers. Not only do I not eat at McDonalds, I don't go to Yonkers. That led to a chain of fraudulent purchases. The $5 was to "test" the card. After that, they went nuts at a shopping mall near my home. Close to $10,000 in charges in the previous two days. Crazy part is that it was all swipe charges with a physical card. (Amex was great and removed the charges before I ever received the bill).

I did some backtracking and figured out exactly where it happened. It was a restaurant I ate at about 10 days earlier. When the server took my card, they apparently double swiped to clone it.

I called Amex to pass along my information. Took forever to get to a person in the fraud to listen. They completely blew me off. Sure, I couldn't provide actual evidence of the act, but I gave them enough hard facts to at least look into things. Not likely I am the only one who got caught up in this. They had zero interest in finding out who was responsible, even after being out $10 from my account alone.

I guess it's easy to overlook these things when you run a successful loan shark operation (what else can you call an organization that charges those kind of interest rates?)

Old 02-02-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I would call amazon back and ask for a supervisor.
If there was anything to gain, I would.

The acknowledged the charges were fraudent.They occured in December and Amazon already took internal action to fix _their_ part of the problem.

My concern is that they did not and had no intention of letting me know there was a problem. If I didn't flag the charges and call, I would have been on the hook for the money.

Worse, they wouldn't do anything to correct the billing. I had to call my credit card company and have them flag those charges a fraud.

Looking online, those charges are already removed from my credit card statement. Amex is good like that (although it is the only card of mine that consistently gets compromised).

All a supervisor at Amazon could do it listen to me complain about the way they handled this and transfer me to a person who can help me cancel my account... after this, I don't trust Amazon at all.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:51 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Amazon has several credit card processing systems. Most are familiar with their own transactions, but the second largest is when vendors process sales through Amazon's payment system. So although the charge went through and is listed as Amazon, they may just be the blind processor. Detecting and shutting down the fraud won't result in a notification to you as they really have no idea if you were part of the fraud.

Old 02-04-2018, 10:41 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I had the same problem with Ebay. I cancelled my Ebay account because it kept happening even after I changed my user password, and haven't ordered from them in years. I also no longer use a debit card because of problems with it being cloned repeatedly. The bank kept insisting to issue me a new debit card but I won't. I feel much safer without one now and it's no problem for me to just get cash from the bank whenever I need it.

Old 02-04-2018, 02:27 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
May I suggest getting alerts setup each time a credit card is utilized. It will save you to be vigilant in your determination to thwart long hours rehashing with customer 'diss'service.
I cannot recall Amazon customer service being anything but top notch when I addressed concerns. They assigned a rep who constantly kept me abreast of the progress on any disputes. I'm sorry to hear the op was not given the same treatment.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:00 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Best solution, buy Amazon and Ebay give cards, at a local store, and use them for your online purchases. Then you never ever have to give your credit card number online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products