Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2018, 11:17 PM

454 posts, read 448,966 times

Advertisements

I bought an acer chromebook online at best buy website. I bought it because i needed another computer but also because there was a tiny discount. It had the clearance word on it as well. I got the laptop and opened it up from the box. The first thing i noticed was there is like 2 light scratches on the far left on the top of the laptop. I had thought maybe that was like the sticky part or whatnot that is there where if there is some tape and thus there is like paper there etc. Im sure you all know what i mean. But it isn't because when i try to use my fingernails to scratch what i thought was paper out, there isn't anything. Its definitely noticeable if you take a look at it.

But besides that, the rest of it looks pretty good. I also tried using it and the chromebook seems good as i just opened it.

Has anyone here bought an item new but then noticed it probably wasn't new? I then googled best buy selling returned or used item as new and saw this pop up a lot etc. The thing is this laptop is nice but i thought it was strange it had those scratches. But could it be possible it was the UPS driver who didn't handle it with care? There is actually a message on the box that said fragile and handle with care or similar to those words. The other thing that i thought was strange was when i turned it with the battery plugged in it was like in the mid 70% battery. Then it just a took a short while to charge it to 100%. In general when you buy a new laptop or chromebook, what is the battery percentage typically? Because I thought...shouldn't it be in like the 20 or 30 percent? Because whenever i got a new laptop a while back, im pretty sure the battery was like 30 percent or maybe 50 percent? I thought it being mid 70 percent was very strange. Like someone used it, then returned it etc. But if this was returned or used, then Best Buy would say this item is open box then right?

Again the first thing i noticed were like these light scratches. It isn't that big but it isn't like very very tiny. It looked like if you didn't pay attention, like some gum on it etc thats why i thought it was sticker that i didn't rip off completely. But there was no sticker on it etc

As for the laptop, i do like it. So I assume most of you would just keep it right? The other thing is this. When i started it up, i typed in my google username and password. Would it be better if i wipe the computer clean and i believe on chromebook its WASH COMPUTER? I believe that means wipe computer and start new again. I'm just a bit confused why there are those light scratches. Anyone have experience with this with best buy etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 11:28 PM

454 posts, read 448,966 times
I like to add something else.

This laptop is an acer chromebook 14.

Does anyone know why when i just open my chromebook.. meaning open it to see the screen, the chromebook starts up? For example i didn't even click on the power button and it powers up? Is that how it works? I just shut down the computer. Then i closed the lid. Then i open the lid, then it powers on? It keeps on doing this. Is this normal?

I also want to mention one other thing. The packaging of it was a bit strange but maybe thats how they are suppose to package it. But in laptops and chromebook, they typically come in like 2 boxes right? Such as the big box and then once you get that part out, there is the smaller box right? When i got laptops before, i recalled it was like this but something sort of threw me off a little with this especially when i saw like some scratches on the far left of it. So i like to have anyone opinion on this.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:23 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjustin2 View Post

Does anyone know why when i just open my chromebook.. meaning open it to see the screen, the chromebook starts up? For example i didn't even click on the power button and it powers up? Is that how it works? I just shut down the computer. Then i closed the lid. Then i open the lid, then it powers on? It keeps on doing this. Is this normal?
If you want it to completely power off when you close it, you can change it in settings. Having it in sleep mode is probably just the default setting. Both of my laptops are set up this way, I wouldn't want to have to wait for it to boot up every time I wanted to use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products