Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 04:35 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,361,632 times

Advertisements

"Amen! I really don't like how Amazon is trying to take over the world".....no offense, but you're comfortable with what Walmart has done to shopping in America ?

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I've never used Amazon, and have never found the need to. I've always found what I need without it, so I don't understand what the big deal is with it anyway.

Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"Amen! I really don't like how Amazon is trying to take over the world".....no offense, but you're comfortable with what Walmart has done to shopping in America ?

Regards
Gemstone1
I think you know the difference. Amazon is not only trying to be the only place you shop for goods, but now also your groceries, your in-home music/entertainment, last I heard they are also going into banking. I'm sure I've forgotten something.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:12 PM

666 posts, read 643,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think you know the difference. Amazon is not only trying to be the only place you shop for goods, but now also your groceries, your in-home music/entertainment, last I heard they are also going into banking. I'm sure I've forgotten something.
Much like the mega Walmarts include banks, eye doctors, photography studios, one or more restaurants, auto centers, hair salon, nail salons.... Not much different than Amazon, it seems to me.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:36 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've never used Amazon, and have never found the need to. I've always found what I need without it, so I don't understand what the big deal is with it anyway.
For me there's way more on Amazon then you could find in stores. Instead of going to 5 stores to look at shower curtains and still not finding one I really like, I can find at 12,000 in one place which I can filter to my exact specifications for color, rating, price, etc. There are also a lot of things I can't find in stores, or only in specialty stores. I went to Walmart, ShopRite, Target and Acme trying to find Pizzelle cookies recently. But apparently there's a "season" for pizzelles, and this wasn't it. So not only did Amazon have them, they had original flavor, lemon, chocolate, almond and a host of others. Of course I had to buy a case of 6, lol.

There is also time. I'm currently working an hour from home, and am often at work for 8.5 to 9 hours, so it makes for a very long day. the last thing I feel like doing when I get home at 8pm or so is go to a store, and it means the weekend has a to-do list a mile long.

I go to stores too, especially when I don't really know what I want and want to look at things. I spent $157 at Christmas Tree Shops yesterday, I do my part, lol.

I agree with the poster though who pointed out the irony of believing Walmart has been better for the country than Amazon though. Yes, they provide jobs, but at the price of destroying small business communities around the country as well as forcing companies like Rubbermaid to close a U.S. based factory that had good jobs in favor of moving production to China.

Don't get me wrong, I go to Walmart too, but I'm not going to kid myself that it makes me a better citizen than when I shop on Amazon.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:25 AM

3,954 posts, read 2,573,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For me there's way more on Amazon then you could find in stores. Instead of going to 5 stores to look at shower curtains and still not finding one I really like, I can find at 12,000 in one place which I can filter to my exact specifications for color, rating, price, etc. There are also a lot of things I can't find in stores, or only in specialty stores. I went to Walmart, ShopRite, Target and Acme trying to find Pizzelle cookies recently. But apparently there's a "season" for pizzelles, and this wasn't it. So not only did Amazon have them, they had original flavor, lemon, chocolate, almond and a host of others. Of course I had to buy a case of 6, lol.

There is also time. I'm currently working an hour from home, and am often at work for 8.5 to 9 hours, so it makes for a very long day. the last thing I feel like doing when I get home at 8pm or so is go to a store, and it means the weekend has a to-do list a mile long.

I go to stores too, especially when I don't really know what I want and want to look at things. I spent $157 at Christmas Tree Shops yesterday, I do my part, lol.

I agree with the poster though who pointed out the irony of believing Walmart has been better for the country than Amazon though. Yes, they provide jobs, but at the price of destroying small business communities around the country as well as forcing companies like Rubbermaid to close a U.S. based factory that had good jobs in favor of moving production to China.

Don't get me wrong, I go to Walmart too, but I'm not going to kid myself that it makes me a better citizen than when I shop on Amazon.
There is good and bad with all stores/ companies. Amazon is no exception. You are often ordering from a company with a contract with Amazon (or always? Does Amazon have their own products? I really don't know...).

I truly hope we don't get to the point of having to order online, not being able to see and touch the product.

I ordered from Target and it was delivered to the store. I have also noticed Targets prices have lowered. I bought a mixed size of food storage containers (2 small, 4 med (Don't remember size/ oz a piece of bread fists in with lots of room and deep enough for 3 orn4 slices) and 4 a little larger. $3.99. My warehouse grocery's best deal $2.50 for 3 med size or 2.99 for 3 three cup size.

We need both online (as you show) and brick and motor stores!

P.S... ocnjgirl, can I order some Pizzelle cookies from you, since you have so many? That is if you ordered chocolate! 8)

Old 05-07-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Flower View Post
There is good and bad with all stores/ companies. Amazon is no exception. You are often ordering from a company with a contract with Amazon (or always? Does Amazon have their own products? I really don't know...).

I truly hope we don't get to the point of having to order online, not being able to see and touch the product.

I ordered from Target and it was delivered to the store. I have also noticed Targets prices have lowered. I bought a mixed size of food storage containers (2 small, 4 med (Don't remember size/ oz a piece of bread fists in with lots of room and deep enough for 3 orn4 slices) and 4 a little larger. $3.99. My warehouse grocery's best deal $2.50 for 3 med size or 2.99 for 3 three cup size.

We need both online (as you show) and brick and motor stores!

P.S... ocnjgirl, can I order some Pizzelle cookies from you, since you have so many? That is if you ordered chocolate! 8)
I did order chocolate (and regular, and almond, lol) but they are all gone!

Old 05-11-2018, 12:44 AM

Quote:

Fair point. I guess the difference for me is that Amazon wants to move into my home. Or that's what it feels like. And with Bezos also buying newspapers, I just feel like he also wants in my mind, as well as my home. I didn't say shopping at Walmart makes me a better American citizen. That comment was a stretch, and not my point at all.

I happen to like the Washington Post, but Bezos also buying up newspapers and websites, is like he's seeping into my life and home and also trying to influence my thinking and politics with his own news sources. He not only owns the Washington Post, but also owns other news sources, like the Business Insider, which ran a story on him and failed to mention he also owns the BI. So, he's using one of his news sources to appear like news that's actually a PR move regarding him acquiring the Washington Post.

Walmart might have lots of shops within it's shop, but at least they're in a building over there, that I can choose to go to or not. They're not trying to crawl into my head and my home and my politics. He's like an insidious liquid, seeping into every nook and cranny of our lives. I don't think we should ignore that. It might not bother you, and maybe you can't see the difference I'm trying to point out, but it creeps me out.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 05-11-2018 at 12:56 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Fair point. I guess the difference for me is that Amazon wants to move into my home. Or that's what it feels like. And with Bezos also buying newspapers, I just feel like he also wants in my mind, as well as my home. I didn't say shopping at Walmart makes me a better American citizen. That comment was a stretch, and not my point at all.

I happen to like the Washington Post, but Bezos also buying up newspapers and websites, is like he's seeping into my life and home and also trying to influence my thinking and politics with his own news sources. He not only owns the Washington Post, but also owns other news sources, like the Business Insider, which ran a story on him and failed to mention he also owns the BI. So, he's using one of his news sources to appear like news that's actually a PR move regarding him acquiring the Washington Post.

Walmart might have lots of shops within it's shop, but at least they're in a building over there, that I can choose to go to or not. They're not trying to crawl into my head and my home and my politics. He's like an insidious liquid, seeping into every nook and cranny of our lives. I don't think we should ignore that. It might not bother you, and maybe you can't see the difference I'm trying to point out, but it creeps me out.
Bezos is hardly the worst. Sinclair broadcasting is not only trying for a monopoly of local news stations, thru are forcing anchors to be parrots for them by making them read canned scripts pushing Sinclair’s political agenda and making it seem like it’s the anchor’s opinion. To me that is what much worse, people trust local news stations and believe they are more truthful than national channels. At least Bezos is upfront about it.

I myself have never felt like that about Amazon and the only things I have never even heard Bezos political views let alone felt they were trying to put them in my head. In what ways has this been true for you? Frankly the only times I have heard Amazon mixed with politics, is when Trump disparages him, but that’s personal so I put no stock in that.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-11-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Bezos is hardly the worst. Sinclair broadcasting is not only trying for a monopoly of local news stations, thru are forcing anchors to be parrots for them by making them read canned scripts pushing Sinclair’s political agenda and making it seem like it’s the anchor’s opinion. To me that is what much worse, people trust local news stations and believe they are more truthful than national channels. At least Bezos is upfront about it.

I myself have never felt like that about Amazon and the only things I have never even heard Bezos political views let alone felt they were trying to put them in my head. In what ways has this been true for you? Frankly the only times I have heard Amazon mixed with politics, is when Trump disparages him, but that’s personal so I put no stock in that.
I agree about Sinclair broadcasting. But, really, how is it different for Bezos buying up news media sites?

If you've read or heard any of the news from any of the sources owned by him, then yes, he has been putting his politics into your head.

People like to think Bezos is different, just because his politics are more liberal than Sinclair, but his behavior is the same.

I think for some people, it's like finding out Santa Claus is really your dad.

And no, Bezos was not upfront about owning Business Insider, while BI was doing "news" pieces about how great The Washington Post has been since Bezos bought it and "turned it around," etc.

They finally put in an apology for not putting that in their original news article, but who read the later disclaimer that Bezos owned the news source saying how great his WP takeover was?

If Bezos was some kind of saint, he'd keep his employees in the U.S., instead of taking advantage of basically slave wages in other countries. Don't you think he could afford to hire U.S. workers in the U.S.? Pay his warehouse workers a better wage? Give benefits to the Amazon Fresh drivers?

As I say, he's no saint. He doesn't deserve any more credit than any other billionaire who outsources his workforce to other countries and treats his U.S. workers like garbage, while working on even eliminating their jobs with automation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products