Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 07:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,846,099 times

Advertisements

Currently there is a "discussion" (more like arguing) raging in my neighborhood Facebook group about how going to the grocery store is no longer fun because the aisles are clogged with distracted Instacart/Shipt shoppers staring at their phones and clogging up the aisles.

Some people are very annoyed by this.

You know what that means.

The more people get annoyed with their shopping experience, the more they will shop online.

And the cycle goes round and round and round.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Here's the posts:

I hate going to the store. All the Shipt and Instacart shoppers staring at their phones in the middle of the aisles is quite annoying.

I have to chime in on the hired shoppers. I take my 91 year old mother to the grocery store one day a week and all the hired shoppers are practically racing around the store, looking at their phones with very little consideration for those around them. When I cannot leave my mother alone for even a second because it is unsafe, I get annoyed - one of these shoppers practically rammed her with a cart coming around a corner...of course, they were looking at their phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 08:00 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
My main annoyance is that they are always in a big hurry and practically run you over in their haste. Lately it doesn't seem to as big of an issue because our main store here has started offering curbside pickup (for free). However, the store curbside shoppers are out there in the aisles with these big Metro carts which can be just as annoying!

I really don't begrudge anyone who does their shopping this way though. I'm sure for a lot of busy families, it's one less chore to have to worry about and especially when there are small kids involved (it keeps them out of our way too). I know people who loathe to shop (me, I like it!).

It would be better if those shoppers did pay more attention to their surroundings and were allowed to slow down a bit - I think they are under pressure to get in, out and delivered in a short period of time. That would make it less irritating.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,513,551 times
The curbside pickup thing has become really popular where I live so the stores are definitely quieter. The instacart/shipt ladies seem to be busiest during the mid-afternoon, as it’s mostly working parents using it. Maybe avoid going during their busy hours?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:36 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
I'm not sure if this common knowledge but I recently found out that Instacart marks up the prices at most places. I think Whole Foods is one of the rare exceptions where there isn't a markup.

I had always thought that the prices were the same and the only extra you'd pay would be the delivery charge and tip. Not the case. Apparently Instacart says the markup is about 15%, but I read an article about an Instacart shopper who left the store receipt in one of the bags. The actual markup was 42%. I don't know if this was an isolated incident or if it's the norm.

I don't know if Shipt or Peapod marks up the prices.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:29 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Well, no. Shipt only delivers from Target here, and Instacart isn't available.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Does it happen in certain stores? I've never been aware of who was shopping for someone else. It seems like everyone's always on their phones, so I can't tell the difference.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:34 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,579,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

I'm not sure if this common knowledge but I recently found out that Instacart marks up the prices at most places. I think Whole Foods is one of the rare exceptions where there isn't a markup.

I had always thought that the prices were the same and the only extra you'd pay would be the delivery charge and tip. Not the case. Apparently Instacart says the markup is about 15%, but I read an article about an Instacart shopper who left the store receipt in one of the bags. The actual markup was 42%. I don't know if this was an isolated incident or if it's the norm.

I don't know if Shipt or Peapod marks up the prices.
Shipt marks up their Target prices - pretty significantly, and limits what items are available. I decided against them for those two reasons. And the way they drastically limit what items are available is quite annoying - just on everything - lettuce, for example.

Instacart does not mark up prices where I live - prices they offer from Cub and Costco are economical. I'm sorry they recently had to drop Target because Shipt is now doing Target and Target is Shipt's only offering.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:16 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
I'm not even sure what "Shipt/InstaCart" is.

I see people using the hand-held price readers.
But people clogging up the aisles on their phones, uh, no I've never seen it.

Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 PM

252 posts, read 358,918 times
Years ago, Publix delivered themselves. The items came from their warehouse and arrived in refrigerated trucks.. It turned out to be too expensive for Publix and they stopped the service. I was excited to try Instacart. I gave it 3 tries but probably won't use them regularly. Something about seeing my groceries arrive in the trunk of someone's old beat up car turns me off. I see the benefit if I'm sick, or for someone who is disabled but otherwise it's not for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products