Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 11:41 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,626,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
Another poster on CD made this response the other day, and before that I'd heard it for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't understand it then and I don't understand it now. Explain it to me.

Because my thinking is that if the OP is living in the First World, why would they ever experience problems other than First World problems? I myself certainly only experience First World problems...because that's where I am. How often are other CD posters actually directly experiencing Third World problems? Rare to never?

Or is the intent with this answer to be subtly shaming and dismissive to the OP about their genuine feelings regarding their experiences? Like admonishing a kid complaining they hate broccoli that Third World children are starving and would be delighted to have broccoli?
It is dismissive, but usually meant and taken in the spirit of mild ribbing. Not something to be offended by, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2018, 12:35 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,296,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
A normal Mom and Pop cafe greasy spoon type place likely doesn't hire the type folks who can make this on the fly. Most folks think of pancakes, eggs and the works when treating themselves to an old fashioned cafe breakfast.
"Mom and Pop" (if they have any business savvy) are now locked into a franchised operation, and, if it's turned the corner and established itself, it's probably capitalized at something around the $1 million mark or better (which is not all that much these days). And that, in turn, elevates them into a potential target for the "lawsuit industry".

But down there in the trenches things are as gritty as ever. The "assistant manager" behind the counter might be a single Mom, with a steady "baby Daddy" who works off the books somewhere; and she stays unmarried because might be counting on several thousand dollars in credits at income tax time.

I don't recall the name of the wag who said that two things the public should never be allowed to see are the laundries of great hospitals and the kitchens of great restaurants, but (s)he was on to something.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:21 PM

10,596 posts, read 5,591,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd make up some cards that state that you want just whites and as you tell the waiter/ess what you want hand it to them.

"I am allergic to egg yokes. If I eat one I will go into anaphylactic shock and will possibly die. Please make my omelet with whites only. Thank you."

You might give one to the manger as well.

That assumes

1. They can read.
2. They comprehend what they read.
3. That they give a damn.
4. That they expect a tip.

Lot of chances for failure.

My wife has to be very careful with egg whites. Her throat swells closed if she has too much.
"We're terribly sorry, Ma'am, but whole eggs are used throughout our kitchen, and are regularly cooked on our flat top grill, and in all of our pans. It will be impossible to assure that no cross contamination will occur. As we don't wish for you to die, it will be necessary for you to take your business elsewhere. Good day."

Old 05-09-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They probably don't know what you mean by "egg white". They might think you mean a white egg, as opposed to brown eggs. Remember, the wait staff aren't trained chefs, especially at places like Dennys, etc. Separating an egg is a lost art, something Grandma did while making soufflés, meringues, etc. My kids barely know how to fry an egg, let alone separate one

All they hear is "egg". Why do you ask for egg white only? Do you have an allergy to egg yolks, or just trying to cut down your cholesterol? At either rate, I'd give up ordering eggs, period
That speaks much more to the training that they have received rather than any "lost art."

Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,706,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Right! Just think who works there... You expect common sense for minimum wage?
Lol, yes! People don’t want to raise the minimum wage, but get made when their orders are not right. Seriously, these people get paid crap. Do you think they really care?

Personally, if a restaurant can’t get an order right, why keep going back??

Old 05-09-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I don't worry about things like that. These are fast food eateries with unskilled workers who earn less than min. wage. Tip: Don't order anything out of the ordinary at a fast food eatery. That's not what they're for. You either like what they have, or you don't.

Order something that comes the way you like it. I think you're being too picky about fast food. I would save the pickiness for nice restaurants where you're paying a lot more money for the right to do a special order, and the staff are paid decently and/or you are expected t leave a 20% tip.

Speaking of tip, here's a thought. Leave a big tip next time you go to "Chow Down Cafe." I bet the waitress remembers you the next time you come in, and will give you whites-only. But as for me, I would just order something off the menu, "as is."
No they don't.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:28 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,706,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'd make up some cards that state that you want just whites and as you tell the waiter/ess what you want hand it to them.

"I am allergic to egg yokes. If I eat one I will go into anaphylactic shock and will possibly die. Please make my omelet with whites only. Thank you."

You might give one to the manger as well.

That assumes

1. They can read.
2. They comprehend what they read.
3. That they give a damn.
4. That they expect a tip.

Lot of chances for failure.

My wife has to be very careful with egg whites. Her throat swells closed if she has too much.
I’m sorry, but if my allergy was that bad than I would not order anything near that! Common sense, right??

Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM

10,110 posts, read 19,357,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That speaks much more to the training that they have received rather than any "lost art."

Yeah, sure, 99% of young adults know all about separating eggs.....guess I failed

Old 05-09-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, sure, 99% of young adults know all about separating eggs.....
I neither said nor implied any such thing.

Quote:
guess I failed
You're the one claiming that your kids barely know how to fry an egg.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,975,337 times
Quote:
Yeah, sure, 99% of young adults know all about separating eggs.....guess I failed
I know how to separate an egg, as do all my siblings. It was something my mom taught us while cooking together in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products