U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 01:43 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,046,747 times

Advertisements

This is a bit of a "touchy" subject for some.... as I have had it with several people and get very mixed feelings about it.

First, I have to say that I am HUGE into giving to the less fortunate. I donate most of my items that I have in my house that we no longer need or use. Clothing being huge of course. I also find organizations that help others, such as the one in NYC that helps woman find jobs (I have donated several suits,etc.... ) (can't remember their name right now...)
This isn't to give myself a hand , it is just a prelude to my question..

I would like to see what others feel about consigning items that were given as a gift to you? That can be clothing for you,for your children or household items?
I have a "problem" doing it, simply because I feel as though I would be making money off of something that I didn't even purchase myself.
I know that there are people who feel that it was a gift,therefore do as you wish..... it just feels wrong,to ME.
I know that when people consign items that it is typically a 60/40 split or something along that line with the consignment shops, but to me, you are still getting something for it....
Do I make sense?
Some also argue that when they give things to the consignment shops that they are helping the "less fortunate" and I have to argue that as well.
Let's be honest, the majority of people who shop in these consignment shops are looking for something for less-that is it. Not because they can't afford to go to the retail stores.

As I have said, I have had this conversation with others and it seems to get heated,as though ,those that do consign everything they have, feel the need to become extremely defensive. I think that just shows that yep-they are doing it simply to make a quick buck off of their items.

I figure, if you don't need it... someone else does and there are so many organizations to give things to without "making money" off of them....

Curious what others think....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,400,290 times
I guess I'm immoral....I either re-gift things I don't need or use or I sell them on Ebay....so the cash is my gift instead.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 PM

511 posts, read 799,289 times
I have weekend tag sales every few years and sold gifts that I've received at them. I never felt guilty. The money we make usually goes to a family fun day, quality together time. What better re-gift.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:17 PM

28,227 posts, read 19,794,676 times
I had an upscale consignment shop in NJ. Come June all the teachers would bring in the gifts given to them by their students. I felt so bad for the parents who purchased these gifts, the little eager faces of the child presenting a gift to their teacher .

One summer my step grand-daughter was in the shop helping (she was 7)-she looked on a shelf and saw the gift she had given her teacher. Her heart was broken.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:14 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,998,429 times
Default Here is my take

I give most things to Goodwill or to the Blind or to the Veterans, b/c it is just easier for me to put the things in bags and have them pick it up (or I can drop things off at Goodwill nearby).

However, I have gotten aggravated b/c I know that when I give something really nice, it often gets bought by someone who is out there trying to find stuff to sell on Ebay. So my thought is . . . why shouldn't I sell it on Ebay myself rather than just give someone else an opportunity to make money off it? LOL!!! Yet, I have never taken the time to figure out how to set up an account w/ Ebay . . . and it takes time and work to package things up and mail them to the winning bidder . . .

I hate getting rid of gifts b/c I feel guilty . . . but dear me . . . when the things don't match my house, or fit us, or are just plain impractical or UGLY - what is one to do? I end up w/ boxes full of stuff I don't like or need. So it is better to "release it to the Universe" and let someone else enjoy it (or even sell it on Ebay!!!) I mean - what is wrong w/ someone being resourceful enuff to ferret out good stuff at Goodwill and then selling it on Ebay?

If you have the energy to bother w/ transporting stuff to a consignment shop, why not? Which is better - boxing stuff up you will never use - giving to Goodwill so someone else will buy it for pennies on the dollar and then sell it for a nice sum on Ebay? Or make $3 off it yourself at a consignment shop?

I continue to give things away . . . but every so often, I do think that I should be getting a return on it myself as I paid for it!! And if it is a gift - just b/c you didnt pay for it - why would it be better to hang onto it if you are never going to use it?

I think it is a good idea for all of us to also consider the gifts we do give. Rather than giving a pair of earrings or a set of napkins to a teacher . . . why not give her a $10 Starbucks card? Or a $10 Olive Garden card?

I have quit giving gifts to most people . . . I give gift cards. In my family, my brothers/law use Lowes regularly so I give them Lowes cards. My nephews like the $$ to buy games for their systems (Wii, Nintendo, whatever) so I give them Target or WalMart gift cards so they can go do their own thing (and their mother says they would appreciate this more anyway - no returns). Hair dresser? A nice bottle of wine or if I know they go to Starbucks - they get a Starbucks card. One hairdresser told me she got over $250 in Starbucks cards this past Christmas, wh/ means she can enjoy a lot of Starbucks no charge this year.

But back to the "give away" or "consign" question. Do what works for you. If the items are never going to be used . . . and it is convenient for you to place in a consignment shop . . . do it. Or if you are like me and it is easier to just bag things up and have some organization pick it up - do that. No use feeling guilty about it! Someone will appreciate it - whether they buy it at a Goodwill outlet and sell it on Ebay or they sell it at a Salvation Army store for a low price that someone can afford who otherwise could NOT afford the item.

It is no different than giving someone a wedding present. I have been shocked how many brides have a registry and so you think - okay - I will buy something off the registry cause that is what they really want - and then the brides take the stuff back to get the cash! So who knows what people are gonna do when you give a gift. No use getting emotionally involved in it - once you give something away - it is no longer yours to be concerned about - even if you put a lot of thought and caring into the gift.

I think this falls under "the thought is what matters," cause gifts are a way of saying "you were important enuff for me to want to do something unexpected for you" - so - even if it is a gift that has no meaning for the recipient - the thought was still what mattered (and the thought is always appreciated - even if the gift is not something that will be treasured).

Last edited by brokensky; 04-06-2008 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-06-2008, 06:35 PM

61 posts, read 203,690 times
I agree with "anifani" above about bagging up things and donating them to various charitable organizations, especially when you know you'll never use any of these items. I think it's better to give someone else a chance to use it. I recently bagged up some "gently used" items, along with a couple of brand new gift items and gave them to a shelter store in our area. When a "friend" mentioned to me that she usually regifted items she received (which meant my gifts to her weren't being kept), I got smarter and gave her a gift card to a store where she shops often. Knowing my gifts were being given away (and knowing how much of my time and planning goes into buying gifts for people), I thought this to be a better idea. I have sold some items at garage sales, and donated others. I'd never even thought to resell these regifted items on ebay or craigslist but I guess that's also an option. For me, however, donating is what I prefer.
I guess if people feel bad about reselling these regifted items and aren't in need of the cash, then they could always donate their profits to a charitable organization. It would be a win-win situation in that case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products