Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2018, 04:09 AM

914 posts, read 635,323 times

Advertisements

We have Amazon lockers in the office they will put my packages in even if it's not from Amazon per se. However, the last few items I've ordered were sent back because the HOA office was closed (after 5PM). You can monitor the movement of the UPS delivery person online. This is how I know he came to the HOA and turned right around and drove away. Never attempted to deliver because I was home watching his real-time progress online.

Now I have a huge credit with Amazon for all the returned items and I'm hesitant to order anything again under this new policy of theirs. We've never had problems here in the past with losing packages. Very frustrating, thanks for posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:08 AM

132 posts, read 106,295 times
In my neighborhood of single, unattached houses, UPS, FedEx, USPS NEVER knock on my door anymore. They used to give a knock or ring the bell, place package on the stoop/ in the mailbox/ on the side/back covered patio and and take off! They haven’t knocked or used the doorbell in years. They simply drop off the package and go. I’ve seen them deliver to neighbors this way as well, whether anyone is home or not. The only time they have to make contact with a person in the home is when an expensive item is ordered, such as a computer, and they need a signature. In that case, I’ve been given an approximate time of delivery so I’d be home to meet them.

I knew of someone in an apartment complex with a doorman where they were not permitted to go to individual apartments.

When I lived in a second floor apartment, I think they’d leave the package on the first floor by the mailboxes. Too long ago to remember! Lol. Sounds like the driver just wants to drop all packages off at the office and keep going. At least you don’t have to go to UPS and pick it up. Is the leasing office that inconvenient to go to? With UPS tracking app you’d know when they were delivered. Maybe with modern technology, they don’t leave notes anymore?

Old 07-29-2018, 06:42 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,225,633 times
I have a LARGE red 'Country Mailbox" at my door...In yellow, UPS.
They still always leave my Amazon packages outside the gate to be stolen or get wet esp. in our monsoons every afternoon.

here

Old 07-29-2018, 08:17 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,221,348 times
I understand if you are home during the day. But if you are out, wouldn't you rather it sit in the office attended rather than in front of your door in a hallway where anyone could grab it?

Do you get a text knowing it has been delivered so you know to got to the office? Or is the problem that the office is closed when you do get home so you can't pick it up from them? Maybe the people in the office are encouraging things be delivered to them? You may have to check out more of the details around this.

Old 07-29-2018, 09:28 AM

50,191 posts, read 35,868,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Whenever I have packages delivered by UPS, the driver never makes an attempt to deliver directly to my door per UPS policy https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...eliveries.page Not even a note is ever left on my door

I've tried calling the local UPS facility that houses the driver and spoken to different supervisors, but all they've done is feed me lip service- - they're dont care and even seem to be siding with/protecting the driver.

I call the UPS customer service number, but all they do is just defer to the local facility, which just loops me in their run-around. I've even emailed the UPS customer service, but they have fought me as much as they can, and when I showed them it was UPS policy to at least attempt to deliver to apartment front doors, they said they would relay this to the driver, but it happened yet again yesterday. This new csr is also fighting me in playing semantics/not trying to help me.

Would anyone happen to know if there's perhaps a corporate phone number or specific address I could mail or phone a complaint to? Or possibly any solutions to get UPS to cooperate? I'm just out of options at the moment. I do use UPS MyChoice w/ front door instructions, to no avail. I do plan to get a house eventually which will nullify this issue
I was on a second floor apartment for 18 years (Steps not elevator) until a few months ago and never had any issue with UPS. They always brought it upstairs and inside the main door to leave it st my door. It was only when Amazon started using USPS and SurePost (which is post office too) that my packages started being left downstairs, outside. I called he post office and was told USPS carriers are not allowed to go up steps. Are you sure you aren’t getting packages via Sure Post or USPS?

Old 07-29-2018, 03:50 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,077,319 times
I don't see the big issue. I also live in apartments and UPS leaves packages in the office and I consider it a benefit. You may be home all day but most people are not. And package theft is a lot more common at apartments where people normally walk within feet of your front door. Would you be willing to waive any claims and take responsibility for any packages that are left and go missing? Thought not.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:28 PM

612 posts, read 838,115 times
I actually would prefer if my packages were just left in front of my door- - this has happened before multiple times and has never been an issue. And it is just UPS, I can tell if it's Surepost. As I stated previously, the office has nothing to do with the driver not attempting to go to the unit numbers listed. The receptionist has said that she didnt even believe that no one wasnt home

I dont understand what my level of inconvenience has to do with the driver not doing their job? These packages arent being delivered for free, Im paying them to bring it to my front door, which UPS policy states as such. These packages arent being delivered to the address on the package, so it doesnt make a difference to me if they leave it at the office or UPS facility- - they're not following company protocol. When the leasing office has packages delivered to them, they're not putting MY address as the address on the package, and having them delivered to my address. So why should it be any different for me?

And Im sure this isnt a front office thing, because I never have this problem with Federal Express. They always bring packages directly to the apartment doors, and knock and leave it there. Never an issue. I would always use Federal Express if possible, but Im unable to choose the carrier the merchants go with

Last edited by Mr. Black; 07-29-2018 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-29-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't see the big issue. I also live in apartments and UPS leaves packages in the office and I consider it a benefit. You may be home all day but most people are not. And package theft is a lot more common at apartments where people normally walk within feet of your front door. Would you be willing to waive any claims and take responsibility for any packages that are left and go missing? Thought not.
The UPS handbook states that unless packages require a signature, that they can leave packages with anyone at the residence/address on the package. People work different shifts and different households have different amount of people.

With that being said, do you have any proof that "most people are not" home during the day? Keeping in mind that other roomates can accept packages on their behalf?

Old 07-29-2018, 04:38 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,077,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
The UPS handbook states that unless packages require a signature, that they can leave packages with anyone at the residence/address on the package. People work different shifts and different households have different amount of people.

With that being said, do you have any proof that "most people are not" home during the day? Keeping in mind that other roomates can accept packages on their behalf?

UPS handbook? They "can" or they "must"? Take them to court if you feel this is statutory code that can be enforced by the consumer.

No, I have no "proof" that most people aren't at home during the day other than the freeways are jam packed in the morning with people going to work and again in the afternoon with people going back home, while they are pretty empty late at night when "most" people are sleeping (which I also have no "proof" of).

Old 07-29-2018, 04:51 PM

As far as the note issue, people have different situations going on , so they may not always have access or means to keep up with their packages electronically. The note on the door is supposed to be the one-size-fits-all surefire communication method, and also to show proof that the driver did attempt to deliver to your front door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products