Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 12:21 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times

Advertisements

Just read this morning there's a brand new Sam's Club in Dallas that is going to be completely cashier free. I guess they are trying to keep up with Amazon. All shopping will be done using your smart phone and paying with that as well. If anyone lives there and wants to try it out I'd like to hear what they think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM

6,797 posts, read 4,240,302 times
I'm torn on this. On the one hand, I like the convenience of self-checkout and use it all the time when possible (there's still stores nearby that don't offer them) especially because it allows me to avoid dealing with the cashiers..who often don't come across especially competent. On the other hand, I do wonder what those people are meant to do with themselves if those types of jobs disappear.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM

1,347 posts, read 945,392 times
I've read your posts, I know that you are one of the good cashiers, if only they could clone you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I've never had a cashier try to tell me their "troubles" but I sure got some from my customers. No biggie though. I generally didn't have a lot of time to commiserate with them because I generally had several behind them!
I actually once had a cashier *pause* scanning items so she could tell me about some personal issue. Most of the time it's "I'm so tired, I've been here since [blah blah] o'clock, I don't get off until 9", or whatever health or childcare issue is at the forefront of their brain. There was one cashier a while back who started complaining to me about the previous customer's kid right after that customer left (nothing major, just the usual inconveniently timed toddler pushback that every parent dreads). She was surprised when I didn't sympathize with her judgment ("back when I was a kid..."). Again, not all, but enough where I feel like, ok, I didn't dump my problems on you when you said "how are you", please return the favor. (*not you AZDB, the other ones.)

Quote:
The OLD scanners did indeed have problems with weighing nearly weightless items. I think that's just one of the reasons the newer scanners don't bother with weight in the bagging area anymore. Also, another new feature concerns the age approval items like alcohol. The old scanners would come to a full stop until the attendant came to approve the sale. The new ones don't. You can keep scanning until the end but you can't pay till that sale has been approved. The lights on top of the scanner will turn yellow, letting the attendant know there's an age approval item been scanned, if it takes them a bit to get there the light will turn red but soon as it's approved the light turns green. It takes pressure off of the attendant and eases irritation with the customer if they don't have to fully stop and wait. The attendant WILL get there ASAP though because management keeps an eagle eye on those lights.
I'll have to keep an eye on it, I don't think the store I frequent the most (not Walmart) has updated the bagging area scales yet. It will be nice if/when they do.

Quote:
Cart pushers never stock the store or clean. Stockers and maintenance take care of those. They do carry outs sometimes though. I agree, there's no reason for customers to make their jobs any harder or take longer than they have to. It's a hard and thankless job and the way people drive, plus all the conditions they work under, I've always thought they deserve hazard pay.
Thank you for the clarification. I still maintain that giving them extra work is not doing the cart pushers any favors. It's not like they're standing around twiddling thumbs hoping for something to keep them busy. And good point about the driving, that's definitely an unpleasant aspect of that job.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:11 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Just read this morning there's a brand new Sam's Club in Dallas that is going to be completely cashier free. I guess they are trying to keep up with Amazon. All shopping will be done using your smart phone and paying with that as well. If anyone lives there and wants to try it out I'd like to hear what they think about it.
Not a good business plan. Only 75% of Americans have smartphones. So their sales will be at least 25% lower then if they had cashiers. I doubt the lower payroll will offset that big a loss in sales.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:32 PM

16,070 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
Thank you for the clarification. I still maintain that giving them extra work is not doing the cart pushers any favors. It's not like they're standing around twiddling thumbs hoping for something to keep them busy. And good point about the driving, that's definitely an unpleasant aspect of that job.
Depends on where you are I guess. The company my daughter briefly worked for (not a walmart) as a bagger also had her collect carts, run price checks, do mdse put backs, and do light cleaning, sweeping, and mopping of the lobby and registers areas. She really hated chasing stray carts, especially if the weather was bad, when there were more of them apparently.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
I've read your posts, I know that you are one of the good cashiers, if only they could clone you...

I actually once had a cashier *pause* scanning items so she could tell me about some personal issue. Most of the time it's "I'm so tired, I've been here since [blah blah] o'clock, I don't get off until 9", or whatever health or childcare issue is at the forefront of their brain. There was one cashier a while back who started complaining to me about the previous customer's kid right after that customer left (nothing major, just the usual inconveniently timed toddler pushback that every parent dreads). She was surprised when I didn't sympathize with her judgment ("back when I was a kid..."). Again, not all, but enough where I feel like, ok, I didn't dump my problems on you when you said "how are you", please return the favor. (*not you AZDB, the other ones.)

I'll have to keep an eye on it, I don't think the store I frequent the most (not Walmart) has updated the bagging area scales yet. It will be nice if/when they do.

Awww, thanks. Nice of you to say that. I did give it my best shot.

I can see a cashier saying some of those things. Minor really but they probably shouldn't. I've had customers tell me I "look tired" and I just said "Yes, I am but it'll be over soon!". I wouldn't call what they said "dumping problems" though...just commenting. It can be annoying though so they shouldn't. I'm sure there ARE some who will complain and carry on. I mean, we ain't ALL 'perfect'...LOL

Not all the Walmarts have finished their remodel updates. I keep up with employees across the country online and hear about it every day. There are about 4,000 stores, plus the Neighborhood Markets and Sam's Clubs so it's slow going. I personally, as a cashier and a customer, really like the new ones a LOT more than the old ones. Not nearly as many glitches but people have to learn to really watch the monitors because there are a lot of new procedures. The scanners will walk them through if they pay attention. Sadly many just don't.

I wouldn't be a cart pusher if they paid me double! It's a hard and thankless job and I feel sorry for them all. They mostly do try to work up and get inside when they can. I once saw a driver back out of a space and pin a cart pusher between his bumper and a cart corral. Then blamed the cart guy for being "in the way". Sheesh.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Not a good business plan. Only 75% of Americans have smartphones. So their sales will be at least 25% lower then if they had cashiers. I doubt the lower payroll will offset that big a loss in sales.

You could be right but I think there are probably enough to make it work. I have resisted having any kind of cell phone for years and years but have one now. Well, I've always had one but I only used it when I'd go on long road trips for emergencies and so I could call AAA if needed. I would just buy a months worth of minutes, use it for my trip and then let it lapse. This time I decided to just keep it and it's okay. I'm glad I have it so I can continue to use my Savings Catcher and pay with Walmart pay. Didn't want to lose nearly $100 in 'rewards'! My last grocery trip cost me nothing out of pocket and I like that!

Old 10-30-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Depends on where you are I guess. The company my daughter briefly worked for (not a walmart) as a bagger also had her collect carts, run price checks, do mdse put backs, and do light cleaning, sweeping, and mopping of the lobby and registers areas. She really hated chasing stray carts, especially if the weather was bad, when there were more of them apparently.

The baggers at our local Safeway have to do all those 'extras'. Our Walmart is so busy they simply don't have time to do anything BUT "chase" carts!

Old 10-30-2018, 01:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
How would the person mess it up if you are standing right there while things are being scanned?

If you read the first paragraph of my post, it explains it.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:07 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,284,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
Regarding the bolded part in pink...

I work as a cashier at another well known grocery store chain, and according to Senior staff above the store level, every cashier is supposed to scan 30 items per minute.

The reason for this is to get the customer through the line as quickly as possible.

And to probably lessen the complaints from impatient customers who complain about the long wait time.

The speedy checkers are so fast where we shop, that I think maybe they are really robots. (just kidding) They scan at warp speed and in doing it too fast, they will scan things more than once, before letting it go. Either it's them or the scanner itself that doubles it or triples it. And since they are going so fast, it is virtually impossible to catch the error, until after it's all done when I check the receipt before leaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products