Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 08:37 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I feel the same way, I will never use a self checkout because it is one step closer to putting people out of work. However, I have a niece whose attitude is when they start hiring cashiers who know what they are doing then I will use them instead of the self checkouts.

We are already forced to pump our own gas, to do our own banking, to check out and bag our purchases. All the while big business wants our money and our personal information so they can market to us to make more sales and more money and yet not hire any more people to assist their shoppers. Sometimes I cop a 'tude and don't walk my cart to the corral. Someone once wrote on a site that we (the customer) are paying big bucks for our groceries/purchases and still have to check ourselves out, bag our own groceries and return the carts to a central place. These are all jobs that people once held.

I commend those business who still have staff to assist customers with their questions and who have baggers who helpfully walk a customer to a vehicle and load the trunk for them when needed.

Before I get pelted, my Profile states I am "old school". I am of a past generation who gave and expected good customer service from a business I was spending my hard earned money at. Businesses used to have to EARN their customers' business.
The only one this could hurt is another innocent shopper who gets a ding in their car when the wind or another car bumps your abandoned cart, sending it rolling and causing damage.

I don't walk my carts back to the corral for the stores, I do it out of respect for other people's cars.

Sometimes on my way into the store I will snag a stray cart and either put it in a corral or take it into the store with me for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2018, 08:50 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,601,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'd boycott them but our smaller city doesn't have another department type store that carries what Walmart carries.
Then they're providing something that is needed for you, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
I'd have to go out of town.
So, that whole spiel about those high earning cashiers not having money to feed their families isn't the true crux of your complaint. . .

I understand your disgust in the way things are turning out in your town, but Walmart or self checkouts arent going anywhere soon. If you really care about needy people, i'd turn my attention from the down trodden cashiers of walmart, to Nigeria, where an active genocide is taking place. Then again, I understand those blue light specials are important for your household.

Old 10-23-2018, 08:52 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdaelectro View Post
Then they're providing something that is needed for you, right? So, that whole spiel about those high earning cashiers not having money to feed their families isn't the true crux of your complaint. . .

I understand your disgust in the way things are turning out in your town, but Walmart or self checkouts arent going anywhere soon. If you really care about needy people, i'd turn my attention from the down trodden cashiers of walmart, to Nigeria, where an active genocide is taking place. Then again, I understand those blue light specials are important for your household.
I really hope cashiers are eliminated completely because I would have to start buying things online

Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Cameras. Be warned that if one of your items doesn't scan correctly, and you put it in the bag anyway, Walmart loss prevention is not going to come and help you ring it up. They are going to come with a pair of handcuffs and arrest you. You will have to argue in court that you were not stealing the item. If you are found not guilty, or the charges are dropped, which is highly likely, Walmart's legal department will then file a frivolous lawsuit against you for damages. That is their standard operating procedure.

So use self-checkout at you own risk.

They’re Falsely Accused of Shoplifting, but Retailers Demand Penalties - The New York Times
Wouldn't you think that the people who run that chain would have enough sense to realize how doing this could badly damage their reputation? For every dollar they gain by railroading someone into paying those settlements, they could lose many thousands of customers. I have never used self-checkout, because I know how easy it would be for a mistake to be made. The regular checkers make them all the time, but they don't go to jail. In fact, if I ever shop there again, I will pay in cash, with nothing to identify myself. And I'll never buy anything valuable that might need returning.They are making billions in profits, but they are killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

Old 10-24-2018, 05:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Aren't we all fortunate to be able to choose where we shop. Since you detest Walmart so much, why are you even in the store?
I detest Wal-Mart but sometimes I go there. I'm not overly fond of snarky comments either but sometimes I reply to them.

Old 10-24-2018, 06:27 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Then they're providing something that is needed for you, right? So, that whole spiel about those high earning cashiers not having money to feed their families isn't the true crux of your complaint. . .

That’s like saying we shouldn’t concern ourselves about robberies because there are murders taking place.

Besides, I’m already boycotting all the Nigerian princes. I don’t know what else I can do about anything else taking place over there, appalling as things are. Perhaps you can offer some constructive and practical suggestions. I understand you weren’t replying directly to me with the above-quoted post, but I sincerely would like to know what we over here might be able to do.

Old 10-24-2018, 07:54 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It happens to a lot of people. Just read the articles all over the internet. Every time you see a police car parked by the entrance of Walmart, they are not there to shop. They are there to arrest somebody.

Maybe so and considering how many stores there are in the US...and many in "sketchy" areas...it's possible. However, just because there's a police car out front doesn't always mean they are there for legal problems.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 AM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
The only one this could hurt is another innocent shopper who gets a ding in their car when the wind or another car bumps your abandoned cart, sending it rolling and causing damage.

I don't walk my carts back to the corral for the stores, I do it out of respect for other people's cars.

Sometimes on my way into the store I will snag a stray cart and either put it in a corral or take it into the store with me for the same reason.
No, I would never put anyone's car at risk. I learned years ago to put the cart at the intersection of space dividing lines and make sure the cart's front wheels are turned to the right or left to prevent it from moving/rolling. I tug on it to make sure it will not move in the event of wind. Or else I will put it up on the curb next to a tree. I usually feel guilty if I don't put the cart in the corral, only if I am highly annoyed, aka have 'tude for some reason, do I sometimes not put it in the corral. My way of being a "rebel", I guess.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:29 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:

What spiel? Cashiers need jobs to feed their families. Food isn't free ya know?

And I need products that either aren't available in other stores or I'd have to run all over town to various stores to get the things I need.

Yes, I guess I'm ranting about something people in Nigeria aren't worried about, but this thread isn't about genocide in Nigeria, is it?

Old 10-24-2018, 08:38 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,905,462 times
I once had the side of my car severely damaged by a cart the rolled downhill, picking up speed before hitting my car. It was a windy March day, and it was happening over and over again, before my eyes. I saw the damage when I came out, went back inside and bought a disposable camera. Took pics of carts all over the parking lot, in the road, in the parking lot not corralled in the cart keeper isles. Then went back into the store and tried to file a report. The store manager refused, so I took down his name and called Food Lion's corp offices when I got home. Within a few days, loss prevention not only had my letter, but my pictures of their negligence, even with the signs above the lot ststing "not responsible for damages." My car was repaired and rental car provided.

I do not like the idea of WalMart taking over, but I also don't want to pay more than I have to. My pocketbook will win everytime. WM has something called Savings Catcher. I scan every receipt into an app and if a lower price is found, the difference is loaded into a gift card. I do this religiously, even pick up receipts on the ground. My giftcard currently has almost $500 on it. And like last year, I will use this on the grandkids or an Angel Tree at Christmas. I don't buy everything at WM, Costco is still my go-to for meats. But WM has upped their game on produce in the past year.

I always want self checkout, for both, small and large shopping trips. I do not want 18 year old kids packaging my eggs, bread and fragile items. Nothing worse than getting home to find damages due to the way they were packed. Besides, I want my freezer items grouped, which rarely happens, no matter how you lay them out on the belt. They do what they want, not what the customer wants.

I agree, if people are so turned off by WM, shop elsewhere. If you think self checkout is bad, well, online ordering is the next evil empire. It's called evolution and this will continue again and again. The workforce is shrinking, so eventuslly it will balance out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products