Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 12:00 PM

7,571 posts, read 6,037,168 times

Advertisements

Feel free to laugh but this is true

To preface, I learned a lot from my late uncle. He was an intellectual, a professor at a university. He was also one of the most generous people I have ever known. And he was eccentric beyond description.
It is said that I am like him in many ways.

At Christmas, Everyone he knew got a present. And he expected nothing in return.
Thing was, most of the presents he collected free or cheap all year long. He once filled up everyones car at a gas station so he could collect stamps for free mugs and he already had planned out who was going to get each mug at Christmas !
He always shared and always thought of others.

And he was well loved.

I love to travel. I do not get to travel as much as I like but when I do I collect thihgs, especially free things. I am also on every free sample free thing email list
I collect freebies all year long.
They are included in everyones presents.

Examples for this year at Christmas

The Tampa Rays gave out free retro jerseys one game. I chose one in my brothers size. It will be his. At the Oshkosh Airshow this past summer (aka the Osh Gish this is Expensive!) Air show I collected so many free things that I had to stop by the thrift store and but a $3 duffel bag to bring them home. This includes hats , a Ford Hat for my dad, GreenBay Packers 100 year celebration cups, keychains, etc. Everytime I go somewhere and get some free item, it goes to someone else

All those stuffed animals from the crane games ? The small ones were Halloween Treats in lieu of candy, the big ones will be donated at Christmas to the local toy drive. (My son and I have the talent for cleaning out claw games and do it for the sheer pleasure of winning. We Rarely keep the prizes.)

So it is kind of funny that I have a similar modus operandi as my uncle. And I keep it within the enjoyment of what I give. My nephew loves the Packers so he will like the cup. My brother loves baseball. My dad loves hats. I usually try to fill each persons box with 5 to 10 items, some bought, most found.

I do shop clearance sales, and buy things through the year. My goal is always to be done by Thanksgiving. Usually this is easy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM

5,529 posts, read 6,441,190 times
What a wonderful idea, and thoughtful and kind also. I applaud you for following in your kind Uncle's footsteps, and for teaching your son this kindness as well.

I like tea, and have found several I really like. I tend to put a tea bag in every greeting card whenever I send one. In the past I have put in a package of state specific flower seeds. I like to include some little surprise when I send a card. My thing now is to order a case of Jelly Belly premium jelly beans in individual packages that say "Thank You", or "Happy Birthday", or since Christmas is coming up, I have ordered "Reindeer Corn" and "Christmas Mix". I hand out as appropriate to friends, family, kids, and strangers alike. They always bring a smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products