U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 08:08 AM

23,631 posts, read 17,912,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I also think that it contributes to a lot more wasteful packaging and more trucks on the road. Maybe I'd prefer the convenience if I were holding down a FT job and raising kids, or were a senior with limited mobility, but I have no problem with one weekly trip to the grocery store (it's next to my gym, anyway) and one to Costco. I haven't subscribed to Prime because it's a gimmick to make you more loyal to Amazon as a source. Heck, half the time when I do order something on-line because I can't get it locally, it arrives earlier than promised. The only exception was a laptop I ordered from Costco; I got a notice that pretty much meant nothing except that the shipping label had been printed and it was a couple of weeks before it was actually in transit. From China.

Back to the OP- I feel sorry for the poor CSR who was obviously ordered to keep repeating stuff from the script ("I'm sorry this happened", "I can see why you're upset...") with no authority to make it right.
Yes, me too. I know she had little control over the situation. I would be constantly stressed if I had to do that at work. I do wonder though why neither agent offered me the free month of Prime, since it seems to be standard practice per so many on this thread. I hadn’t known about it. Regardless though I wanted my question answered. I truly had no clue the answer would be “ The answer is there is no answer”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 08:26 AM

13,171 posts, read 8,058,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I do wonder though why neither agent offered me the free month of Prime, since it seems to be standard practice per so many on this thread.
Because Amazon no longer offers free months of Prime as part of their 2 day shipping terms and conditions.

You were given $25 in credits, which went well above just a month of free Prime.

Old 11-19-2018, 08:42 AM

23,631 posts, read 17,912,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Because Amazon no longer offers free months of Prime as part of their 2 day shipping terms and conditions.

You were given $25 in credits, which went well above just a month of free Prime.
Yes they both eventually gave me shut up and go away money after I kept hammering for an answer. So many here seemed to say free month was routinely offered, wonder when they ended it? So now apparently there is no standard compensation at all.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:13 PM

8,468 posts, read 12,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes they both eventually gave me shut up and go away money after I kept hammering for an answer....
And you've never said exactly what remuneration you were expecting to receive due to them missing the guaranteed delivery date.

Would you have been happy if they said our normal compensation is to refund that month's Prime cost ($10)? If so, feel free to return the extra $15 you received.

You also keep erroneously stating that they don't stand behind their guarantee. They obviously do; not only that, but ironically you would be Exhibit A that proves that they do. You're whole argument with them rests on the fact that they handle such matters on a case-by-case basis rather than having a fixed, one-size-fits-all remedy.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:50 PM

15,767 posts, read 9,149,328 times
Let me get this straight. Now I find out A Prime member's doesn't really get guaranteed 2 day shipping as a benefit. Since Prime Pantry and Add-On Item have made shipping minimums for purchases a requirement, Prime members don't get free shipping then. And Prime members can't buy from 3rd Party sellers without paying for shipping. They don't get free unlimited videos either; many of them cost additional fees. They get one Kindle book a month, but all the millions of others cost extra, as they do for people who aren't Prime members. The Try on clothing for a week is just another way of being allowed to return something the customer doesn't want, something non members can also do, as can customers of other companies. People who aren't Prime members can get free cloud storage with other companies. People can also stream music from multiple services for free if they are OK with ads. And Amazon is definitely not cheaper than other sellers. Can someone explain why $120/year is a "good deal" for this membership because I am totally mystified. It must be the convenience of buying everything in one place because that's the only thing Amazon offers that other companies don't.

Old 11-19-2018, 04:08 PM

2,969 posts, read 668,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Let me get this straight. Now I find out A Prime member's doesn't really get guaranteed 2 day shipping as a benefit. Since Prime Pantry and Add-On Item have made shipping minimums for purchases a requirement, Prime members don't get free shipping then. And Prime members can't buy from 3rd Party sellers without paying for shipping. They don't get free unlimited videos either; many of them cost additional fees. They get one Kindle book a month, but all the millions of others cost extra, as they do for people who aren't Prime members. The Try on clothing for a week is just another way of being allowed to return something the customer doesn't want, something non members can also do, as can customers of other companies. People who aren't Prime members can get free cloud storage with other companies. People can also stream music from multiple services for free if they are OK with ads. And Amazon is definitely not cheaper than other sellers. Can someone explain why $120/year is a "good deal" for this membership because I am totally mystified. It must be the convenience of buying everything in one place because that's the only thing Amazon offers that other companies don't.
First I have to say this is TOTALLY first world problems...
Second, why is $120 worth membership?

Here's why:

1. You get video, and just like Netflix, some titles cost extra...before you argue...realize that Netflix has many DVD only titles which can only be had with the DVD subscription at an extra cost.

2. Free shipping...I place around 50 orders per year...even if each order was only $3 to ship that would cost $150. Facts are that most of my orders would cost much more to ship...I just ordered a snowblower...I'm sure that cost much more than $3 in shipping.

3. I get better CS from Amazon and quicker/easier refunds than anywhere...including my own CC company.

4. Convenience...I work overnight and usually 5 12hour shifts. On my break, I can order stuff and it shows up at my door in a few days...no running around trying to find the iten, driving, parking etc...what I want, when I want...no wasting valuable off time shopping.

5. I also get music streaming and Kindle stuff free/cheap.

6. I can get many Android apps free/cheap through Amazons app service that cost on GPlay.

$120/year seems like quite a bargain.

BTW...if you don't see it's value, simply don't join...why does it bother you that others do?

Last edited by USMC1984; 11-19-2018 at 04:25 PM..

Old 11-19-2018, 04:20 PM

12,173 posts, read 5,068,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

If it's not a good deal for you then don't sign up. Nobody cares.

For me, it's $10/month and I get many times that benefit. I use the free Kindle book and that's half of it plus you can "borrow" others. Complaining that every book is not free is silly imo. Read the ones that are. Same with movies. We have watched quite a few movies and series on Amazon. As many as from Netflix and that costs about as much as Prime with no other benefits. I approach the 2-day shipping as a "performance goal" and most of the time it is met. I don't know anyone else that gets it to me in 2 days without a ridiculous surcharge unless maybe it is a local supplier. As for prices, they don't offer lowest price guarantee and I'm sure I could waste time scouring multiple sites and save on many items but overall they usually have a good price. If you put together a broad "consumer basket" of items, my bet is they would be among if not the lowest. Convenience is time.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:01 PM

4,702 posts, read 4,648,377 times
ocnjgirl,
I'm glad you started this thread. I've been a Prime member for a few years now, and I've just been silently frustrated by the many times items arrive late. Now I know that I can (and should have been all along, really) calling to complain and get some compensation. You raised excellent points about their "guarantee."

Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 PM

4,047 posts, read 2,113,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I pay the prime fee, and most, but not all of the items I order arrive in two days. I try not to order things that I absolutely must have in two days.

I do find that prime speeds the delivery time considerably, and I like the other benefits as well.

When things aren’t delivered in two days, I simply fill out the complaint form, they give me a free month, and I get on with my day.

I get about 4 free months a year, so prime effectively costs me about $80-90 annually as a result.
I'll have to keep that in mind. I didn't even know they had a routine complaint form.

Old 11-19-2018, 06:29 PM

4,047 posts, read 2,113,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
If it's not a good deal for you then don't sign up. Nobody cares.

For me, it's $10/month and I get many times that benefit. I use the free Kindle book and that's half of it plus you can "borrow" others. Complaining that every book is not free is silly imo. Read the ones that are. Same with movies. We have watched quite a few movies and series on Amazon. As many as from Netflix and that costs about as much as Prime with no other benefits. I approach the 2-day shipping as a "performance goal" and most of the time it is met. I don't know anyone else that gets it to me in 2 days without a ridiculous surcharge unless maybe it is a local supplier. As for prices, they don't offer lowest price guarantee and I'm sure I could waste time scouring multiple sites and save on many items but overall they usually have a good price. If you put together a broad "consumer basket" of items, my bet is they would be among if not the lowest. Convenience is time.
I've been a Prime member for several years, but just recently got a Kindle. Is the free book one of your choice, or is it one they pick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or