Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 05:56 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
Saucony. Teckeeee is right...if you want an athletic style.
my golf shoes lasted 19 years, and they were treated rough.
Thanks picking up another pair of Saucony closeouts that were a $100 for $35 feel so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 07:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,509 times
The best walking shoes I own are Saucony's. I told the salesperson how much walking I do in a week, which is a lot!, and these were the brand that he suggested and he was not wrong. I did add some extra cushion just because of how much walking I do, but even without the extra cushion they are fantastic shoes.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:38 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
It seems shoe quality has gone down the past couple years. I'm tired of my shoes falling apart every 6-12 months. Generally I spend $60-$100 on shoes. They come unglued and get holes too easily. I work 12 hour shifts in a hospital. Is there a particular brand that is comfortable, durable, and under $120?
I think shoes only have so many miles in them, even if they look good they need to be replace every eight months or so if you are wearing them everyday. I buy good shoes for work---Naot or Wolky. They run around $175 a pair. I never wear the same shoes two days in a row, I rotate the two pairs I have. I do replace them every eight months or so regardless how they look--and they always "look" fine. I just think even if they look fine the wear of walking in them eight hours a day takes a toll on the workings of a shoe. I only get one pair of feet in a lifetime. My feet never hurt--actually the second I think my feet hurt I know I need to replace my shoes.

Wolky and Naot are good shoes. Sometimes you can find them on Zulily for a good price.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:17 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Yes, Merrell's. I was going to post that before I even read any posts. I have a pair that only gets more and more comfortable. THey have a sturdy sole, good foot support and the upper part gets softer and more comfortable as I go. They feel like a moccasin.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
For dress shoes, you need real leather uppers, real leather soles. Alden and Allen Edmonds would be my two choices here. A good pair of dress shoes ought to last you at least 10 years if you keep them polished.

For rubbery shoes to stand up in all day there are several choices. Personally I would go to SAS or Ecco. Probably over $120 but they will outlast the under $120 shoes by a huge margin. Red Wing is another good choice.

There used to be a company "Knapp" that made the best shoes to stand up in all day, but I think they disappeared. They were the best I've ever had.

You don't usually save money by buying cheap shoes.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:55 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I've read in many places that it's best for your shoes to give them a bit of a rest (i.e., don't wear the same pair every day, all day, for months on end) - try to find leather shoes (not so easy anymore) - take care of them (clean, condition, etc.) - and alternate your shoes.
yes - wonder if the OP is wearing the same shoes every day?

Old 12-10-2018, 07:56 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
How about some combat boots? I had some that lasted for years. And I wore them in all kinds of weather and terrain.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:00 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For dress shoes, you need real leather uppers, real leather soles. Alden and Allen Edmonds would be my two choices here. A good pair of dress shoes ought to last you at least 10 years if you keep them polished.

For rubbery shoes to stand up in all day there are several choices. Personally I would go to SAS or Ecco. Probably over $120 but they will outlast the under $120 shoes by a huge margin. Red Wing is another good choice.

There used to be a company "Knapp" that made the best shoes to stand up in all day, but I think they disappeared. They were the best I've ever had.

1,000% true.

Buy quality. Your feet AND pocketbook will thank you.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:58 AM

585 posts, read 492,834 times
Red Wing Shoes. Shoes always used to cause me to blister and wouldn't last 6 months. I am on my third pair, in a 24 year time span! This is wearing them 2 to 4 times a week. Best shoe investment ever.

Old 12-10-2018, 01:25 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,070,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

True. And, then there is the eventual foot issues incurred over the years from wearing cheap shoes ... those can last forever.

If you are gonna scrimp, scrimp on something else. Not on shoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products