Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 01:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I price compare all the time. If it's cheaper at Walmart.com or Ebay I buy it there. I still use Prime a lot though. There are features like Subscribe and Save that I use all the time. I get a 15% additional discount plus free shipping. Some items I get once a month, others once a year. My razor blade refills are $12.38 for 3 at Walmart, and $9.76 on my Amazon Subscribe and Save. I get about 8-12 items per month this way.
I've never understood why certain posters seem to think Amazon customers are too dumb to price compare. I always price compare with different stores, but typically end up buying from Amazon because it's cheaper. Especially with no minimum order amount needed for shipping.

I just recently bought my dog more food. I checked the sales ads at Petco and Petsmart, and checked the online price on both Chewy and Jet. Amazon was cheaper, and then even cheaper since I use subscribe and save.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 01:47 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
For the kinds of products I typically buy - computer parts, electronics, software - Amazon is the lowest price. For example:

Someone find me cheaper identical memory than this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JKNIZQ

Find me a cheaper Panasonic Lumix lx10 package than this. https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Opt.../dp/B01MY0MLXX

No used, refurbished, or grey market items.

Old 01-03-2019, 04:03 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
This morning got an email from Walmart: "Shipped, arriving 1/4". As I was leaving home in the afternoon, the box is there! Bravo, Walmart!

Old 01-03-2019, 04:26 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,338,739 times
For fashion, unless I can find the item in store, I typically buy on Amazon, since shipping from brick and mortar stores in most cases eats away the savings from coupons, so in the end the prices will usually be about the same and sometimes Amazon may dynamically price certain color or size options (surprisingly they usually seem to put the best prices on the more popular colors based on my experience, probably due to greater stock). Sure, I can do ship to store, but that is less convenient than having it shipped to my house in two days.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No I don't work for Amazon, but who is forcing you to buy anything on Amazon? Is Amazon really "forcing out competition"? I don't see it, many stores with an online presence successfully compete with them, i.e. Walmart, Target, Kohls. When you talk about businesses being "forced out", that is exactly what Walmart and Home Depot stores have done to rural states for 30 years; they've run local hardware, lumber yards, and grocers out of business and in many cases removing 100% of the competition. I can't even see that happening online, it's no harder to type in "target" or "bestbuy" than it is "amazon".
Here is one, Lord & Taylor, closed for good, Amazon being a major reason.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
From the article you posted:

Quote:
Like many big box stores, Lord & Taylor fell victim to online consumer giants like Amazon. 45 other, smaller Lord & Taylor stores remain open, mostly on the East Coast.

To keep up, the company recently launched a digital flagship on Walmart.com, but for many nothing will compare to the look and feel of the real deal.
I guess in your opinion we shouldn't have invented cars either because farriers went out of business when people weren't riding horses everywhere they went?

Old 01-04-2019, 11:26 PM

Whatever you say.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
I wouldn't consider Amazon a direct competitor of Lord & Taylor.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 PM

The reporter's voice: "Like many big box stores, Lord and Taylor were up against the online consumer giants like Amazon, and couldn't beat them." No one said Amazon was the only competitor, but Amazon is the giant of all giants in online commerce. I am glad L&T is working with Walmart.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:24 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Online shopping is putting out brick and mortar stores yes. Just like Home Depot and Walmart for small business. If not for Amazon it would still happen. It would simply be a bit slower. The world is changing. My nephew though went from making min wage ($8 and change in NJ) at an Auto parr’s chain, to $15 at an Amazon warehouse.

Blaming Amazon rather than tech progress will be like blaming Elon Musk for the loss of driving jobs when self driving cars come about. Taking out one guy is not going to keep progress from happening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products