Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 11:22 AM

7,634 posts, read 8,704,195 times

Advertisements

Placed an order with Walmart yesterday, received 3 of the 4 items this morning. (The other item takes a little longer.) They all also are cheaper than I could find at Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM

5,761 posts, read 11,365,702 times
I am not a heavy on-line shopper. I order maybe once or twice a month, things I cannot find easily in a local store. Obviously, I'm not an Amazon prime member. I've been using W-Mart online instead of Amazon lately, not so much for the price but because W-Mart has improved the in-store pickup experience. Also, shipping on W-mart in-store pickup is free on almost all orders.

I live in an older apartment complex with no secure place in front of my door for package delivery, if I am not at home. At home delivery is not a "plus" for me, it is a risk. Anyone walking by can simply pick up a package left at my door step. There are millions of other people like me who would rather pick up a package than have it delivered to the door. My nearest W-mart is a short distance from home, and I can combine the W-mart pickup with buying other everyday items at the store. If I have to do a return, I can also do that easier at the W-mart return counter than shipping to Amazon.

Old 03-07-2019, 10:59 AM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
That's just a click through referral program. I used to make a couple hundred a month with those on a blog I ran. I never sold anything, I just placed links to Amazon stuff (in my case it was books) and everytime someone bought the book I got $. I never directly sold anything and you are not allowed to offer discount codes gift cards or anything else in order to get people to use your link, if you do you will be banned.

The only people offering discount codes are 3rd party sellers.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:51 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Amazon has been really disappointing me lately, just when I need it most. We have moved to a little island in the Caribbean where the only department store is a dilapidated and poorly stocked KMart.

So I am forced to shop online for many of the things we use. Prices on Amazon are getting horrible. Vitamins that I ordered a few months ago for $13 are now $17.50. My husband's brand of shave cream that I could pick up at Walmart in the states for a couple bucks is $7something on Amazon. I could go on and on.

I've been a loyal Amazon customer for many years (averaging two orders a week and thousands of dollars a year) because I loved the convenience and prices. But if they keep raising prices and angering their customers, they're going to die like Sears & Roebuck.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Tariffs? Before getting mad at Amazon, are you checking to see if prices are going up everywhere?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2019, 11:56 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,673,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Tariffs? Before getting mad at Amazon, are you checking to see if prices are going up everywhere?
I did check Walmart.com and target.com for their current prices, which are much lower than Amazon's. But the shipping cost from those sites to this island is an issue.

You did raise an interesting point about the tariffs though. Where I'm living now, the price of just about anything is at least double (some things triple or quadruple) compared to what I was used to paying in the states, especially groceries. Lordy! I assumed it was because we're on a remote island with high transportation costs, but some of it could be tariffs. It will be interesting to check prices next time I'm back in the states.

Old 05-24-2019, 12:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,827,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I did check Walmart.com and target.com for their current prices, which are much lower than Amazon's. But the shipping cost from those sites to this island is an issue.

You did raise an interesting point about the tariffs though. Where I'm living now, the price of just about anything is at least double (some things triple or quadruple) compared to what I was used to paying in the states, especially groceries. Lordy! I assumed it was because we're on a remote island with high transportation costs, but some of it could be tariffs. It will be interesting to check prices next time I'm back in the states.
I live on an island, though one of the states and food prices are way higher than CONUS. Amazon is still cheaper in the majority of cases than buying here, plus the selection and convenience is a big factor.

Good luck!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2019, 01:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
I've been a loyal Amazon customer for many years (averaging two orders a week and thousands of dollars a year) because I loved the convenience and prices. But if they keep raising prices and angering their customers, they're going to die like Sears & Roebuck.

Nope, as long as they keep offering products at the lowest total price (which you confirmed by comparing with Walmart and Target) they will continue to grow. Amazon offers you a better deal than the others but you're mad at Amazon and not the others?

Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,331,620 times
I was going to buy a pair of chino shorts from Kohl's and use a $10 off $25 coupon and have it shipped to store, but I discovered Amazon was selling those same shorts for the same price as Kohl's after the coupon discount. Better to order it on Amazon and have it delivered next day to my door and save a trip.

Old 05-24-2019, 01:44 PM

438 posts, read 376,335 times
Quote:

Keep in mind that Amazon doesn't set the prices for the items, the sellers do. Unless the item is an Amazon exclusive which I've found are typically much cheaper as Amazon has a direct hand in ordering and managing the stock of the item.

There are a lot of sellers who will buy up items that are popular and attempt to resell them once the stock is low at higher prices. I've noticed this with vitamins and things like toys, the original seller will place something on sale and resellers will buy it all up (many are Prime Now members who can get special offers, sales, and access to items before non-Prime users) and then hold on to the item until the original sells out. Then they attempt to resell the item for sometimes double the price on the items page which will sometimes label the item as a "Amazon favorite" as so many people have bought the items making it seem more popular than it is.

With clothing it's even worse. Many of the clothing companies on Amazon are cheap Chinese brands that copy each other down to the same fabric patterns (strangely enough the patterns will be identical but many will be completely different kinds of fabric). It's the same game, try and hijack a popular look or successful style to make easy money. I've gotten clothing that looks exactly the same, but the non-Chinese brand will be much higher quality for about $30 a dress while the Chinese knock off is $15 but will fall apart in the wash because none of the stitching was done right.

I don't put it on Amazon as much as the sellers. You should always shop around on Amazon to see if another seller has the items you want or a comparable one for less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products