Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
I've been trying to sell an item on Craigslist and a buyer wanted to buy from me, but first he wanted me to text him a code to make sure I wasn't a bot. So not realizing this was a scam, I did that. I didn't think texting a couple of numbers to somebody was anything, but then I read that it's so they can get access to your account. So I have contacted customer service a couple of times and it is non-existant. Nobody from Craigslist has even gotten back to me. Now I'm afraid my identity is going to get stolen and Craigslist isn't responding to any my feedback.
Unless you put your personal information address social security bank account numbers there is nothing on Craigslist that would divulge all your personal history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 01:20 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Because the random caller claims to be from your bank, etc.
Five years ago, I could see that working. One would have to be a hermit or so gullible as to have your picture appear next to the definition* to fall for this variant of the pigeon drop these days.

Someone calling (at all, given that responsible institutions have stopped doing calls for sensitive contacts), probably with a pronounced accent, out of the blue, to ask for an email or text code that came out of the blue, should set off an alarm in even the dimmest pigeon.

* If the word were even in the dictionary, which it's not.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
And you just believe anything some random caller says to you??

Old 12-20-2018, 01:43 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times
CL is offered as a free service, and does not have the extensive protections built in, such as you'd get on eBay or Amazon. It is assumed that the user will self-protect.

The best thing you can do (and you can use this for other purposes also) is to buy a burner phone and use it for activities like this. A $19.95 TracFone with a $20 minute card for 90 days, is all you need. This will give you a phone number entirely separate from your main phone. You can give out this number online or in person to anyone you don't want to have your real number. It will limit the damage that anyone on CL or elsewhere can do.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:55 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
CL is offered as a free service, and does not have the extensive protections built in, such as you'd get on eBay or Amazon. It is assumed that the user will self-protect.
And CL accounts have very little to protect. About all a scammer can do is hijack an account, which lets them manage the account's ads. I suppose there's some elaborate game to be played by diverting the email for a listing and scamming the responders, but not much else. And why bother; they can just set up as many shill/scam accounts as they like. There aren't even ratings or feedback to limit activities.

All of the issues in this thread are with third parties, connected only by CL contact.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
I've been trying to sell an item on Craigslist and a buyer wanted to buy from me, but first he wanted me to text him a code to make sure I wasn't a bot. So not realizing this was a scam, I did that. I didn't think texting a couple of numbers to somebody was anything, but then I read that it's so they can get access to your account. So I have contacted customer service a couple of times and it is non-existant. Nobody from Craigslist has even gotten back to me. Now I'm afraid my identity is going to get stolen and Craigslist isn't responding to any my feedback.
FYI Craigslist does not care about you, they couldn't care less what you have to say.

They do have a help forum where an army of trolls will be happy to jump on you with condescending snide remarks and cracks about your intelligence.

You get what you pay for over there!!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:11 PM

5,449 posts, read 4,043,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And you just believe anything some random caller says to you??

I know a lady who almost fell for the IRS scam. Yes, the callers have a thick accent. But she is an immigrant from the middle east and has an accent herself. English is not her first language.

I think I would have a hard time distinguishing different accents if I was listening to a language that was not my first language.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
I know a lady who almost fell for the IRS scam. Yes, the callers have a thick accent. But she is an immigrant from the middle east and has an accent herself. English is not her first language.

I think I would have a hard time distinguishing different accents if I was listening to a language that was not my first language.
I'm not sure what accents have to do with anything. Does the IRS only hire people with perfect American accents to man their phone lines?

I just wouldn't trust someone calling out of the blue, no matter what type of accent they had. I would call the official number listed on their official website, not some number an unknown person told me to call.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Hm, color me cynical, but I couldn't care less what someone who called me claims to be. I'd hang up and call the bank directly.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Craigslist is not moderated. It's "at your own risk". Craigslist has a very bad reputation for being filled with scammers, both buyers and sellers. Stay away. Use facebook garage sales because those at least have some moderation. I sold lots of stuff on my local facebook garage sale pages and always arranged to meet the buyer in a public place and they would hand over cash only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products