Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 09:06 AM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
Take a deep breath. In the scheme of things, was it THAT big of a deal? I mean, seriously...

Maybe the cashier was having a bad day. We're all allowed a bad day once in awhile.

If the store itself sucks, shop with your wallet and stop going there. You don't want to go to the other stores then you will have to deal with the service that is provided. If you want to let someone know that the store has gone downhill, feel free to let corporate know without calling out the cashier.

BTW-A few weeks ago I was at Rite Aid and my card wouldn't work. Only at Rite Aid. And I have been at stores where my card is denied for whatever reason, not because I am over the limit, so it's not that embarrassing.
Thanks your right. I think it upset me the most, because I have never had so few choices to shop. I just don't have the option to go somewhere else, and that Target in many ways is it. Its very frustrating buying groceries in this region of Florida. There are at least 7 Publix and this Target. Publix has a monopoly on the grocery stores in this state. Target is a fraction of the price of Publix groceries. So that's why I'm in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 09:15 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Yeah, you just need to relax. Debit cards sometimes don't work. Don't blame the cashier. She might have been flustered, etc, but you really don't know what's going on with her. It's definitely not worth even worrying about. I've had my card declined at one store and then it works fine at the next store. It's electronics. Stuff happens. At least you had a credit card, and all's well that ends well.

Sorry you don't have more choices. I agree Publix is expensive, but personally I don't like Target at all and never shop there.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:43 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I have shopped at this Target for almost 4 years. I have seen its level of customer service, go down hill. Mainly the checkout area has become a serious problem area. Long lines, confused cashiers, registers jammed, systems down Its Florida though and in all fairness to Target. The constant onslaught of people and tourist,
must wear them out.

Today at checkout, the cashier seemed overwhelmed. I said to myself. Please give me the strength to deal with this place again. Light was flashing, she was dropping things. Her scanner stopped working, then eventually worked. I always pay with a debit card, and today it was declined twice at this register. That I needed to call the bank. I knew the card was fine, and the cashier was not doing things correctly. Or the register had technical issues. I was told I needed to pay with another card. I paid with my credit card. I was irritated, but never showed it. I called the bank, and no Target transaction even showed on the Debit, just the credit. That there was nothing wrong with my debit card. I was told the bank didn't deny a debit purchase, that was never requested.

Now this cashier told me my debit card was denied twice. So should I report this to the store. After all. If I did not have a credit card. I would have had to leave $100 of goods at the register. Not to mention everyone seeing this happen. Plus I needed my groceries, and I spent a good 45 minutes in the store. I didn't do anything wrong.
It was embarrassing, and obviously wrong. I should have been moved to another cashier. So the transaction could have been done properly.

I need this store because where I live its either Publix or this Target. Wal-Mart I will not go to in Florida period, and Publix is very expensive. There is virtally no where else to shop for groceries. So I hate to make waves at Target. I just don't know how to deal, with such a poorly run store anymore. Thanks

First world problems.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:48 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
Quote:
I have shopped at this Target for almost 4 years. I have seen its level of customer service, go down hill. Mainly the checkout area has become a serious problem area. Long lines, confused cashiers, registers jammed, systems down Its Florida though and in all fairness to Target. The constant onslaught of people and tourist,
must wear them out.

Today at checkout, the cashier seemed overwhelmed. I said to myself. Please give me the strength to deal with this place again. Light was flashing, she was dropping things. Her scanner stopped working, then eventually worked. I always pay with a debit card, and today it was declined twice at this register. That I needed to call the bank. I knew the card was fine, and the cashier was not doing things correctly. Or the register had technical issues. I was told I needed to pay with another card. I paid with my credit card. I was irritated, but never showed it. I called the bank, and no Target transaction even showed on the Debit, just the credit. That there was nothing wrong with my debit card. I was told the bank didn't deny a debit purchase, that was never requested.

Now this cashier told me my debit card was denied twice. So should I report this to the store. After all. If I did not have a credit card. I would have had to leave $100 of goods at the register. Not to mention everyone seeing this happen. Plus I needed my groceries, and I spent a good 45 minutes in the store. I didn't do anything wrong.
It was embarrassing, and obviously wrong. I should have been moved to another cashier. So the transaction could have been done properly.

I need this store because where I live its either Publix or this Target. Wal-Mart I will not go to in Florida period, and Publix is very expensive. There is virtally no where else to shop for groceries. So I hate to make waves at Target. I just don't know how to deal, with such a poorly run store anymore. Thanks
I had this happen a couple of times during my last road trip. Nothing wrong with the card, just some sort of glitch. That is why I always carry enough cash to pay for anything I buy.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:51 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,583 posts, read 17,927,273 times
I'm edgy in Target because it's too bright, and too red. I'm always a little put off when I leave - because of that. And the enormous plastic carts. Can you not offer smaller carts? When you go there for mascara and a pair of sunglasses and a gallon of milk, do you really need that enormous cart?

OP, maybe you're as sensitive as I am to the bright red and too bright lights and it makes your entire experience uncomfortable.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:18 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm edgy in Target because it's too bright, and too red. I'm always a little put off when I leave - because of that. And the enormous plastic carts. Can you not offer smaller carts? When you go there for mascara and a pair of sunglasses and a gallon of milk, do you really need that enormous cart?

OP, maybe you're as sensitive as I am to the bright red and too bright lights and it makes your entire experience uncomfortable.
Too red????

They have smaller, pull baskets w wheels.

Truthfully, I never have an "experience" anywhere. I get my things, don't notice the decor & leave.

It's not the cashier's fault for debit card issues.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:23 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

Hmm. Something for me to ponder!

Quote:
Thanks your right. I think it upset me the most, because I have never had so few choices to shop. I just don't have the option to go somewhere else, and that Target in many ways is it. Its very frustrating buying groceries in this region of Florida. There are at least 7 Publix and this Target. Publix has a monopoly on the grocery stores in this state. Target is a fraction of the price of Publix groceries. So that's why I'm in there.
I understand. And you probably just wanted to vent. I think it just came out wrong. (No worries, I am guilty of the same thing!) Perhaps your shopping frustrations are why your Target is so crowded---they might be shared with others!

Where I live, the big stores are pretty scarce and for day-to-day, we're all stuck going to crappy places like Key Food or C-Town, which most people probably haven't heard of, but they are small chains of grocery stores here. I always drive over to Shop Rite and/or Aldi when I can but it's hard to sometimes drive out of my way.

I think you should write a letter to whomever about your concerns. Perhaps you'll actually get a response! I wrote once to Dollar Tree about our local Dollar Tree (perhaps the worst one on the planet) and there wasn't any response. And actually, what I wrote to them was out of concern, because the one near me is a safety hazard and I cannot believe the fire department hasn't issued them citations.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Targets all over are as you described. Sometime we'll need to pick up something and think we'll run into Target. Then we remember the lines--sometimes skip it just due to that. Hotel Target - you can shop, but never leave.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 AM

3,765 posts, read 4,098,638 times
Quote:
must wear them out.

The problem is not with you, the cashier, or the crowds of people who shop there. The problem is with the rotten store management. If you want to make changes, send a copy of this letter to a few bigwigs at the Target corporate offices; then maybe some changes will come. Many of the cashiers at stores such as these are overworked because management thinks they are saving money by short staffing the store.

As others have noted above, the problem with the debit card is probably a systems malfunction, as both debit and credit cards do this from time to time. That is why it is always necessary to carry at least one additional card, or enough money to pay for you items.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:47 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallie225 View Post
Sometimes this happens to me; debit card being declined for no reason but in reality the store could of been compromised - that's not the cashier's fault. Why are you blaming a cashier?!

The store could've been having issues with their machine- whether the cashier was aware of it or not. Seems heartless of you to go hurt a cashier when they need that job.
Tried to rep you for a great post....but I wasn`t allowed to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products