Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 02:44 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Maybe if that's already on your shopping or wish list the price is somehow locked (I saw even price to be lowered), but I also, personally, saw a price change when I was still actively searching for items to compare.

It happened many times when I was shopping for the best airfare. It made me question why it's so and search for answers. That's when I found out about how the price change works.
I’m not disputing that prices changed, I always get messed about things in my cart changing price a few cents or so. But not $30 change, and not because something is marked extra low for Prime members. Again my experience is things are a few cents to dollars more when it’s a Prime item. I’ve not seen special low prices only for Prime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 02:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Due to the nature of 3rd party sellers, there are sometimes multiple catalog listings for an item. Unless you bookmarked the page, you may not be on the same page. And 3rd party sellers can change prices often. It's not about you.
Yeah, you can go on a site like camelcamelcamel.com and track the price changes of an item. Some never change prices, while others price changes look like an ekg.

With the amount of people using Amazon, they're not changing the price just because someone looked at the listing. If that were the case, every item on Amazon would be changing prices constantly.

And it doesn't even make sense for a seller to raise the price because someone looked at the listing. If anything, they're going to lower the price as an incentive to buy the product.

I recently had that happen on Etsy. I had an item in my cart for a few days, and the seller sent me a 20% code as an incentive to make the purchase. It worked, I bought the item. I had originally bought another item instead, and thought I removed everything else from my cart. But then I recieved an email with the discount offer, and thought "why not buy that too".

Old 01-25-2019, 03:55 PM

50,489 posts, read 36,126,975 times
[quote=Sundaydrive00;54252651]Yeah, you can go on a site like camelcamelcamel.com and track the price changes of an item. Some never change prices, while others price changes look like an ekg.

With the amount of people using Amazon, they're not changing the price just because someone looked at the listing. If that were the case, every item on Amazon would be changing prices constantly.

And it doesn't even make sense for a seller to raise the price because someone looked at the listing. If anything, they're going to lower the price as an incentive to buy the product.

I recently had that happen on Etsy. I had an item in my cart for a few days, and the seller sent me a 20% code as an incentive to make the purchase. It worked, I bought the item. I had originally bought another item instead, and thought I removed everything else from my cart. But then I recieved an email with the discount offer, and thought "why not buy that too".[/quote]

I often do that when I shop at new online stores if I'm not in a hurry, just put what I want in my cart, sign up for e-mails, then wait a few days to see if they send me a "Hey, you left something in your cart" coupon.

Old 01-25-2019, 04:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,138,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, you can go on a site like camelcamelcamel.com and track the price changes of an item. Some never change prices, while others price changes look like an ekg.

Exactly. Raising the price on items someone has looked at runs counter to all proven sales techniques. If someone has looked at an item and didn't buy it, it's because they aren't convinced to pull the trigger. The seller isn't going to induce a sale by jacking up the price, if anything by sweetening the deal.

If you're looking at an airfare or hotel rate then next day the price has increased, it's not because you look at it the day before but because since then they have sold a few tickets or rooms and the supply has decreased.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:38 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,412,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
DH has used Amazon off/on for a long time. I don't have an account so he used his to buy something I wanted.

A month or so later, along comes a charge of $14.99 or $15.99 (can't remember) on his credit card from Amazon.

So who does Amazon think they are to automatically charge for an Amazon Prime account that DH did NOT request.. And that's a monthly charge!

I will pay more money somewhere else before I ever use Amazon for anything again -- except toilet paper if that were possible
Did you "sign up for a free trial" of Amazon Prime to get free shipping for that order, and not cancel it?

Old 01-25-2019, 06:05 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,771,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
I like amazon prime..movies, music, free shipping..reading reviews of something you might want is something you can't get at the bricks and mortar stores..

I get free shipping, too--and I don't have Prime.

Every item I've ordered (so far) has been eligible for free shipping. I always look for that option, which says "8-10 days," but which NEVER takes that long. It's usually about 3-4 days.

Of all the things I've ordered from Amazon, I can't think of ONE which I had to have in 2 days.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
Amazon isn't the angel everyone thinks it is.

The first item I ever ordered from Amazon was a Christmas gift to be sent to my mom. I paid extra for gift wrapping. They didn't gift wrap it and I had to fight to get the extra money back.

The next thing I ordered was a keyboard. They sent the wrong one. I sent it back and had no problem getting the money back.

I ordered a book in which my money was taken and then refunded because "the book was no longer in stock".

The last order was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ordered some canisters. I was told they were no longer available at that price. For some reason it took up to 2 weeks for my money to be refunded back onto my card. Money I needed.

So I see the same canisters at the same price a month later. I call and talk to TWO people at Amazon, explaining what happened before and whether the same thing would happen again. I was reassured both times that yes, the canisters were available at the price listed and if there was a problem, both of these people also assured me my refund would be put right back on my account.

So like an idiot, I ordered the canisters. Naturally, they weren't available at that price and again, no matter who I talked to, my refund again took 2 weeks to get to me. That was it, I went to cancel my account at Amazon. Guess what?

First I had to fill out some online form to cancel my account and they sent me the wrong online form. When they finally sent me the correct form and I sent it back, they said they were so sorry, but they couldn't find any seller account with my name. I still have that email if anyone is interested. So my account is just...sitting there.

Seriously, those prior transactions with Amazon were the only business I've done with them. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever order anything from Amazon again.

I got my canisters on eBay.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
So like an idiot, I ordered the canisters. Naturally, they weren't available at that price and again, no matter who I talked to, my refund again took 2 weeks to get to me.
This doesn't even make any sense. The price would have been on the order page, and you would have confirmed the price you were paying before submitting your order. Your card doesn't get charged until the item is shipped, so if the item wasn't available, it would have never shipped, and you would have never been charged. Your order would have simply been canceled, no refund needed. If it did ship, your card would be charged whatever price you agreed to when you submitted your order.

Quote:
That was it, I went to cancel my account at Amazon. Guess what?

First I had to fill out some online form to cancel my account and they sent me the wrong online form. When they finally sent me the correct form and I sent it back, they said they were so sorry, but they couldn't find any seller account with my name. I still have that email if anyone is interested. So my account is just...sitting there.

Seriously, those prior transactions with Amazon were the only business I've done with them. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever order anything from Amazon again.
Did you have Prime? What account were you canceling?

Old 01-25-2019, 08:21 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I get free shipping, too--and I don't have Prime.

Every item I've ordered (so far) has been eligible for free shipping. I always look for that option, which says "8-10 days," but which NEVER takes that long. It's usually about 3-4 days.

Of all the things I've ordered from Amazon, I can't think of ONE which I had to have in 2 days.
Oh gosh I have. Plenty of times.

Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM

37,494 posts, read 45,798,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Amazon isn't the angel everyone thinks it is.

The first item I ever ordered from Amazon was a Christmas gift to be sent to my mom. I paid extra for gift wrapping. They didn't gift wrap it and I had to fight to get the extra money back.

The next thing I ordered was a keyboard. They sent the wrong one. I sent it back and had no problem getting the money back.

I ordered a book in which my money was taken and then refunded because "the book was no longer in stock".

The last order was the straw that broke the camel's back. I ordered some canisters. I was told they were no longer available at that price. For some reason it took up to 2 weeks for my money to be refunded back onto my card. Money I needed.

So I see the same canisters at the same price a month later. I call and talk to TWO people at Amazon, explaining what happened before and whether the same thing would happen again. I was reassured both times that yes, the canisters were available at the price listed and if there was a problem, both of these people also assured me my refund would be put right back on my account.

So like an idiot, I ordered the canisters. Naturally, they weren't available at that price and again, no matter who I talked to, my refund again took 2 weeks to get to me. That was it, I went to cancel my account at Amazon. Guess what?

I got my canisters on eBay.
I have ordered hundreds of items off of Amazon. Never once have I been charged for something that they did not have "at that price". I have never even heard of such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products