Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 07:09 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

I think this takes the cake for the best Made in China product. LOL

I ordered this compact space heater from China for my bathroom. I was careful to select a model with a US plug on it, and this is what the plug looks like. LOL. The prongs are not bent, they just wobble all over the place. The wobbly prongs appear to be a feature, not a defect. I'm thinking this will qualify for SNAD case.

BTW the heater is actually pretty good. But I have to wonder what it is so hard for a Chinese factory to put a decent quality US plug on a product. Quality plugs probably cost about 10 cents a piece in China.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 12:06 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I'd be careful about the possibility of having a fire hazard. You don't know how well the innards were put together.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Can the plug be disassembled to see if it's wired/assembled correctly?

Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
I'd be careful about the possibility of having a fire hazard. You don't know how well the innards were put together.
Thanks. If I get it working, I'll keep eye on it.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Can the plug be disassembled to see if it's wired/assembled correctly?
The plug can't be disassembled. But since I have a set of Torx screwdrivers I was able to open up the unit. It's a hard to see the wires, but it appears it's just two independent prongs attached to the ends of the wires and pushed through two slots in the case. It seems pretty amateurish. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it before. I'll try to upload some pictures of it when I get a chance.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:06 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The plug can't be disassembled. But since I have a set of Torx screwdrivers I was able to open up the unit. It's a hard to see the wires, but it appears it's just two independent prongs attached to the ends of the wires and pushed through two slots in the case. It seems pretty amateurish. I don't think I have ever seen anything quite like it before. I'll try to upload some pictures of it when I get a chance.
If you haven't already done so, inspect the entire heater for other flaws. Personally, I would notify the state consumer protection agency and give them the thing as evidence.

We hear of people dying in fires caused by space heaters and usually think "Well, they just put it too close to fabric or paper." Sometimes, such as in your case, the unit itself is defective. Our consumer protection laws are in place to protect the innocent from cheap-azz anti-social b**tards that put a penny of profit above even minimal safety. If anyone should get burned by that heater, it is the maker.

My guess is that you bought it online. I can't imagine a reputable store selling such crap. Do NOT use it if you value your life and property.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think this takes the cake for the best Made in China product. LOL

I ordered this compact space heater from China for my bathroom. I was careful to select a model with a US plug on it, and this is what the plug looks like. LOL. The prongs are not bent, they just wobble all over the place. The wobbly prongs appear to be a feature, not a defect. I'm thinking this will qualify for SNAD case.

BTW the heater is actually pretty good. But I have to wonder what it is so hard for a Chinese factory to put a decent quality US plug on a product. Quality plugs probably cost about 10 cents a piece in China.
You're using the defective space heater? I would have returned it. I cheap space heater is not worth the risk of a fire destroying my house.

And this is nothing against space heaters. I too have a compact space heater for my bathroom.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:26 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Why would they care? Walmart and other US stores are buying everything and anything that is cheap enough to make good profit. People want cheap stuff. Quality? Who cares!
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...-stuff/560861/

Last edited by elnina; 02-10-2019 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-11-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you haven't already done so, inspect the entire heater for other flaws. Personally, I would notify the state consumer protection agency and give them the thing as evidence.

We hear of people dying in fires caused by space heaters and usually think "Well, they just put it too close to fabric or paper." Sometimes, such as in your case, the unit itself is defective. Our consumer protection laws are in place to protect the innocent from cheap-azz anti-social b**tards that put a penny of profit above even minimal safety. If anyone should get burned by that heater, it is the maker.

My guess is that you bought it online. I can't imagine a reputable store selling such crap. Do NOT use it if you value your life and property.
I bought it direct from China. I doubt any consumer protection agency is going to try to take action against sellers in Asia. I have inspected the unit and there doesn't appear to be any other flaws. It's functioning perfectly, except for the crap plug. Which I'm trying to find some workaround for.

I suspect the problem is that these heaters are manufactured with EU style plugs, and they are just Jerry-rigged with extremely poor quality US plugs.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You're using the defective space heater? I would have returned it. I cheap space heater is not worth the risk of a fire destroying my house.

And this is nothing against space heaters. I too have a compact space heater for my bathroom.
What type of space heater do you use and where did you buy it, if you don't mind saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products