Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:24 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,542,646 times

Advertisements

I have a 60V rechargeable model from lowes and it has no issues with our .25 acre fescue lot. Cutting the entire yard uses about half a charge. We cut weekly during mowing season and it hasnt had issues with long grass. Previously had a Troybuilt from lowes which lasted 11 seasons before dying. Love not having to deal with smelly gas, etc. Previously had an electric corded mower and that was a waste of time dealing with cords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 28,366 times
Adding my recommendation for the Honda HRX217HYA. It's expensive but worth it if you are mulching or bagging. It's not a good choice for rear discharge mode.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:52 PM

1,228 posts, read 797,833 times
I have had my Honda HRX217VKA for going on 4 seasons now, I believe. I bought it specifically because my previous mowers (inc. a Troybilt and a Toro) were not very durable, were not easy to start, and couldn’t handle grass that was even a little bit wet. I’ve got a mostly Fescue yard (and a current truce with the wire grass) and just under a half acre. I can not recommend the Honda more. I’ve had ZERO issues with it. It is easy to clean, easy to start (always first pull), and perfectly and effortlessly cuts through my grass, both bag and mulch settings, even with wet grass...and you know how that’s been the past several years.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:55 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
the two gas engine push mowers that i use, i bought off of Craig's List.
$25 and $40. 4 and 8 years. still run strong. here is one to get you started:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/grd/d...815692726.html

Old 03-02-2019, 04:56 PM

148 posts, read 171,061 times
You say your yard is small. Assuming your husband is under the age of 85 and can walk a half a mile under his own power, may I humbly suggest a push reel mower? It's not the bulky heavy steel monstrosity your grandparents used. I own a Scott's 20" classic push reel mower. You can buy one brand new right now for under $100. I bought mine over 10 years ago and it's still as good as new. We have somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 an acre and it takes no time at all to mow the grass. No gas or cables, no maintenance, light as a feather, eco-friendly, takes up no room at all when not in use, and no noise (I can easily listen to baseball games while mowing the grass, or I can mow the grass at 6AM before it gets hot without waking up the neighbors). When we first moved in to our house over 10 years ago I got some funny looks, but now the entire neighborhood has one.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:10 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-Love View Post
Thanks all! My gut is telling me Honda because he loved it and we got a good dozen years out of it. However, I appreciate all the suggestions and will look into all of them.
I’m on my second Honda push mower. The first gave me 10 yrs of trouble-free service. I sold it to my friend when we moved last summer and it’s still running like new he says. On my second now and it’s fantastic. Honda knows how to make reliable small engines.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:51 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,754,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
One thing about Toro - it used to be that the Toro's you bought at HD or Lowes were not the same as what you would buy at a Toro dealer. Not sure if that's still the case.

If going gas the one feature I'd want is a blade clutch - that's really handy to have.

That's correct. Same thing with John Deere - the Deere's you buy at big box stores are not the same as the ones from the dealer. It's all very confusing for the regular consumer.

Just to repeat - Honda knows how to make small engines are extremely good at it.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:07 PM

853 posts, read 588,821 times
I can't speak about electric mowers having never owned/used one. I have a walk-behind self propelled Honda (don't know the model #) that's about 15 years old and still working perfectly. There are three keys to good service and reliability with ANY gas powered mower. 1. Use a gas stabilizer in the gas. Makes a huge difference in keeping the gas from going bad. 2. Keep the blade sharp. 3. After each use, run the gas out of the carburetor. On Hondas, there is a fuel shutoff valve. I close it and run the mower until it stops, usually 30-45 seconds. Other brands may have the same valve.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:02 PM

420 posts, read 452,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR1968 View Post
I'm hearing some suggest an electric. Don't do that to him.

Make him feel like a real man and buy a gas-powered mower. The louder, the better. Nothing will prove his masculinity more than the loud sound of a Briggs motor 8AM on a Sunday morning. Mowing just ain't mowing without the defening sound of internal combustion.
Oh how he would love this response!

Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 PM

650 posts, read 929,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
It's easy to throw out a recommendation for a battery powered mower or even for a manual mower on a smaller lot. The problem with those choices is that they depend on conditions that you can't control.
They can't handle wet grass. They can't handle overly long grass. They force you to stop and clean the mower unless everything lines up perfectly. I don't have time to mess around with that nonsense.
I mow my own grass. I fit it into my schedule whenever I can. In the heat of summer I prefer to do it earlier in the day, but the grass can be wet at that time. I can't always mow with the same frequency. If I go away for a week in July I come home to a lawn most mowers cannot handle.
I'm on my second Honda (HRX217). The first one, bought for $399, served me for 10 years until we moved and I needed a stronger self propel mechanism. I sold that one for $150 in about 45 seconds on Craigslist.
My neighbor across the street, who works for John Deere, also uses a Honda HRX217.
Just get the Honda and be done with it.
I looked into the small lawn mower thing last year. I have a John Deere ride on D110 for my acre but the wife has a small plot inside a raised bed garden. I had kept our push mower gas put-put running for 30 years, I just wanted something for her to plug and go at a whim.
I wanted to look at electric corded vs. battery. I found the battery ones in the $350.00 range really struggled to get the job done. They work most of the time. The ones in the $550.00 48V units have come a long way and are advisable. The $300.00 ones you will find used on Craig's list that need a "new battery". Sort of like the guy that drives home in his POS car and says "Honey, I totaled the car". What's wrong with it? It needs a set of tires.
I settled on an electric corded Green machine from Amazon. Cash layout was $135.00 plus a $25.00 oversized 100' cord. The cord is a real PIA to deal with but more than once she said in the long thick wet stuff she was glad to have the power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products