Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2019, 07:35 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times

Advertisements

A couple of months ago I listed a TV stand for sale ($10 only) on a couple of local FB groups. Those groups automatically feed into FB Marketplace. No takers, I forgot about and never removed it.

Yesterday I received a message from someone that wanted to buy it. I said yes. They asked "where do you live?" I never gave them my address as I wouldn't allow a stranger into my house. I set up a meeting place and time near an appointment I had today (very busy area). In doing so I referenced a couple of local businesses that don't exist in other towns.

I thought it was a bit odd though since it's been a couple of months since I listed the stand. I searched the person's name on FB and got nothing as I wanted to compare pictures. I did finally click the picture and found the person on FB. I also did a reverse image search of the person. She lives at least 6 hours away. I sent her a new "test" message. There was no response.

Sent another follow-up this morning to the original message--saying I would only take the exact amount in cash. "She" responded about 30 minutes later asking to meet a bit later. I ignored it and took the stupid thing to Goodwill since it was nearby.

So I know this must be some sort of scam. I just can't figure out what it is. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 07:58 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,418,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
A couple of months ago I listed a TV stand for sale ($10 only) on a couple of local FB groups. Those groups automatically feed into FB Marketplace. No takers, I forgot about and never removed it.

Yesterday I received a message from someone that wanted to buy it. I said yes. They asked "where do you live?" I never gave them my address as I wouldn't allow a stranger into my house. I set up a meeting place and time near an appointment I had today (very busy area). In doing so I referenced a couple of local businesses that don't exist in other towns.

I thought it was a bit odd though since it's been a couple of months since I listed the stand. I searched the person's name on FB and got nothing as I wanted to compare pictures. I did finally click the picture and found the person on FB. I also did a reverse image search of the person. She lives at least 6 hours away. I sent her a new "test" message. There was no response.

Sent another follow-up this morning to the original message--saying I would only take the exact amount in cash. "She" responded about 30 minutes later asking to meet a bit later. I ignored it and took the stupid thing to Goodwill since it was nearby.

So I know this must be some sort of scam. I just can't figure out what it is. Thoughts?

There are some people that get their jollies jerking people around when contacting you to purchase something. Its a game to them and they have no intention of buying. I dont list or sell anything anymore because of this. In this day and time, it could lead to heavens knows what their intentions might be.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:46 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Some people never change their original details. Could be she's now moved near you and furnishing her new place.

Old 03-04-2019, 07:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
A bored person.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:17 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Maybe she was planning to be in the area for some reason?

Maybe she didn't want to give her real name and identity but really DID want the TV stand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products