U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 04:51 AM

17,373 posts, read 52,849,723 times

Advertisements

Anyone else noticing that some beef prices are bottoming out in the spring now? I've seen ground beef at under $2/lb, Aldis has corned beef brisket for $3/lb, and even pricey Publix has whole sirloin tips for $3/lb. With milk prices so low, I can't help but think some of this meat comes from culled dairy cows that were too expensive to overwinter. Anyway, freezer stocking time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 AM

70,665 posts, read 81,764,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Anyone else noticing that some beef prices are bottoming out in the spring now? I've seen ground beef at under $2/lb, Aldis has corned beef brisket for $3/lb, and even pricey Publix has whole sirloin tips for $3/lb. With milk prices so low, I can't help but think some of this meat comes from culled dairy cows that were too expensive to overwinter. Anyway, freezer stocking time.
Our Aldi's has it for $2.48 a lb but that is just because of the holiday on Sunday. I didn't bother to drive that far yesterday so got it at our local store for $3.49 a lb. That was also the price at Walmart. I don't happen to think your examples have a lot to do with any bottoming out of beef prices. I with is were the case. As for hamburger at $2 or sirloin tip at $3.00, we are not seeing that plus sirloin tip is not normally all that expensive. It is much cheaper cut than top sirloin.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:01 AM

21,695 posts, read 27,285,441 times
Just be careful where you buy your bargain beef. Some of the great sales are on sub-standard meat.

But I do have a couple of different local stores that take a lot of pride in their meat department and I've gotten some really good deals there... just not as low as you are telling about.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:23 PM

70,665 posts, read 81,764,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just be careful where you buy your bargain beef. Some of the great sales are on sub-standard meat.

But I do have a couple of different local stores that take a lot of pride in their meat department and I've gotten some really good deals there... just not as low as you are telling about.
I am very choosy where I get my meat. Some cuts I will get anywhere such as pork shoulder but when it comes to beef particularly I want to be fairly sure the cut is not a bargain cut. Nothing worse than trying to cut into a cheap steak or roast or ground beef with no flavor and terrible texture.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:13 PM

FWIW, the Publix sirloin tip was bagged as choice, and my GF declared the Aldi corned beef brisket I cooked as the absolute best she had ever eaten, and promptly bought more.

I do cook roasts differently, so that might be part of the difference. I liberally coat with pepper, garlic, and some salt (less on corned beef for obvious reasons), wrap in a liquid-proof double jacket of aluminum foil, place on a rack in a pan with a half-cup of water, preheat the oven to 450, then put it in for 15 min, turn the oven off for 45 min, then restart it in convection mode at 200 for three or more hours (up to six), never opening the oven during cooking. Once the cooking is done, I do NOT unseal the pack or cut, but let it cool and then put it in the refrigerator overnight, and slice the next day. To heat the slices, I put a little water and a few slices in a covered microwave cooking tray and heat only until the fat starts to pop (less than a minute usually).

Flavor can't really be improved too much this way, but texture can, especially if you cut across the grain. The sirloin tip is not quite as juicy as the corned beef, because of the lower fat content, but still an improvement over other methods I've used. (Not to say that I'm done trying new stuff if you have something that works well for you, I just constantly tinker and tweak how I cook)

There are variations, like only wrapping the meat AFTER about half-an-hour when the surface has browned and crusted, adding fat, beef broth, etc.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM

11,025 posts, read 19,736,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am very choosy where I get my meat. Some cuts I will get anywhere such as pork shoulder but when it comes to beef particularly I want to be fairly sure the cut is not a bargain cut. Nothing worse than trying to cut into a cheap steak or roast or ground beef with no flavor and terrible texture.
If you do end up with a cheap cut of beef and need a way to use it, slice it against the grain and pressure cook it. I buy cheap shoulder roast and turn it into pretty good tacos or Asian beef and peppers using that method.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 PM

17,881 posts, read 22,936,118 times
corned beef is a loss leader this week to get you thru the door..

beef has been steady

saying beef is like saying "wood" many different grades and qualities

top 3 grades of beef are prime choice and select prime has the abundant marbling (specks of fat in the muscle) and is most expensive prime is the top 1-2% of all beef..

most stores sell "choice" which is very good and reasonably priced.

because of many consumers wanting "lean" beef - this is the lower grades .. and it is cheaper.

if you want to buy beef on the cheap you can buy it.....but being lower grades the chucks and rounds are tougher..

in the past 5 years a lot of Mexican beef has come into many areas - it is lean and it is cheap... i can sell a tbone and porterhouse steaks for 4.99lb and a rib eye for 5.99lb but it doesn't have the marbling and less flavor...
but here's the challenge with mrs. consumer in the past 30 years …..if she wants lean...thinking its healthier she will buy lean..... i once had prime grade rib eyes at 6.99lb and "that looks too fatty" was a comment made by many .. (because of the marbling)

overall, shop the sales on the front page of the grocery ads....they will have loss leaders to get you in the door...and most stores sell choice grade so it should still be good.
ive stocked up on chuck roasts for 2.99lb you can also make stew meat from these roasts or grind them if you have a grinder...

chicken and pork have been cheap for a couple years … we've had pork butts on sale for .99lb that's when i stock up..
chicken thighs and drumsticks have been on sale for .69lb and boneless breasts for 1.59 lb and sometimes 1.29lb … for a hot sale

for burger i only buy at places that actually grind fresh burger on site ..from real steak trimmings..... Walmart has all their burger and fresh meat shipped in …
and many supermarkets are now selling burger they don't make on site anymore .
they do this because its easier to track ….for the new tracking (grinding laws)
and it saves them on labor

Old Yesterday, 04:52 AM

1,006 posts, read 231,180 times
I buy beef mostly in bulk from a restaurant supply. Rarely are the sale prices at other stores better than the normal prices there. We also have a two location place called Penn Dutch that has better than grocery store pricing. They also make many of their own sausages and cold cuts.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I buy beef mostly in bulk from a restaurant supply. Rarely are the sale prices at other stores better than the normal prices there. We also have a two location place called Penn Dutch that has better than grocery store pricing. They also make many of their own sausages and cold cuts.
You just brought back a fond memory. When I lived in Vermont and managed a drive-in theatre, I had a staff party cookout, where I bought the top quality steaks from the meat purveyor. Those were the days.

Who do you use, Sysco?

Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM

1,006 posts, read 231,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You just brought back a fond memory. When I lived in Vermont and managed a drive-in theatre, I had a staff party cookout, where I bought the top quality steaks from the meat purveyor. Those were the days.

Who do you use, Sysco?
Its a brick and mortar store called Restaurant Depot. You have to be a business to get in, but not a restaurant. They require a resale certificate on file.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products