Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:15 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times

Advertisements

I don't know if other market types do this but it seems that most Pizza places do it?

I'm talking about deals for online ordering!

For instance: Dominos has a 50 percent off deal on any pizza with online orders only.

Pizza Hut has a deal for a large pizza that normally costs $12.99 for $7.99 with online orders only.

I just don't see the advantage for them to offer these deals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I just don't see the advantage for them to offer these deals?
It's all about getting people to use online ordering, which reduces the amount of staff time needed to take phone or counter orders and puts the burden of choice and order accuracy on the customer. For one thing, they can stare at the menu and add-ons and sides for an hour if they like, without tying up staff time or making other customers wait.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:20 PM

671 posts, read 1,118,514 times
AI It is a new system. They want to train people to use the app or computer rather then to call in their orders. Less expensive then paying the people. They are probably going to outsource delivery soon so they don't have that expense.
Once all the jobs are automated there won't be anyone who can afford to order.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:22 PM

It's pretty hard to support an argument that take out food places should keep a staff of morons around just to provide jobs.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:01 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
It's all marketing - you often get the same or better price by just going to the store or calling them - the online pizza deals aren't deals IMO - they are usually off "menu price"

Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
It's all marketing - you often get the same or better price by just going to the store or calling them - the online pizza deals aren't deals IMO - they are usually off "menu price"
Quite the breeze from all that handwaving.

Whether or not stores will honor an online price on demand to keep a small number of customers happy is irrelevant. The super loss-leader pricing is to get people to look at, and become used to, and begin routinely using online ordering over the other options. Prices will equalize over time as there's less and less need to push people to the online process, and phone/counter ordering is made slightly more of a hurdle.

The purpose of all discounts is to either move merchandise that won't sell, or to foster consumer acceptance.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 991,583 times
Thanks to all of you for your responses.

The 'training the consumer' response makes sense.

I use to go to Dominos to order until they 'trained' me to order by phone.

After years of ordering by phone, today was my first day in training ... in ordering online.

Worked out well.

I got a large three-topping pizza for $7.99.

That is what I usually pay for a medium two topper.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:08 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Just ran into that yesterday. I wanted to buy a small appliance from Target. On their app, they had online only discounts. I was planning on going to the store anyway, so I ordered for pickup. It was ready in about 10 minutes at the front desk, or I could have asked for curbside delivery.

I don't quite understand the concept, since instead of me walking around the store and impulse buying, I just got what I needed, saved 20% as well and walked back out.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:38 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,838,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Just ran into that yesterday. I wanted to buy a small appliance from Target. On their app, they had online only discounts. I was planning on going to the store anyway, so I ordered for pickup. It was ready in about 10 minutes at the front desk, or I could have asked for curbside delivery.

I don't quite understand the concept, since instead of me walking around the store and impulse buying, I just got what I needed, saved 20% as well and walked back out.

These are all examples of brick and mortar stores that still do not understand or know how to utilize and market too online and app sales. They do some of the dumbest things like as you mentioned, offer 20% off if you buy online or through the app and then you come to the store and pick it up. Which results in someone at the store having to monitor a computer for online sales coming in and then someone has to go retrieve it from the shelf or warehouse, bring it to the front and then still have to check you out by verifying you are the buyer which often takes longer than it would have taken if you had gone through a checkout lane and just paid for it yourself, especially if you had gone through self checkout in the store. It is moronic and the upper level corporate managers at these big chain stores just don't get it and come up with these stupid ideas to try to get some of the online sales.

Even auto parts stores like advance auto parts do it too. You go in to the store get the price on something you need and then tell them, hey I saw online you have a 20% discount right now. They will tell you that is for online sales only and they can't give it to you in store. So then you say I will get back to you. You go to your car and have a seat. Go to their website, enter the info, find the thing you need, put it in the cart, go to checkout, apply the 20% off code, select in store pickup and pay. Get out of your car, go back in the store, get the guy you already talked to about the thing, get him to pull up your online order, go get the thing, verify your ID, print a receipt showing you picked the item up and then you are on your way. It is complete insanity I tell you. lol

Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
These are all examples of brick and mortar stores that still do not understand or know how to utilize and market too online and app sales. They do some of the dumbest things like as you mentioned, offer 20% off if you buy online or through the app and then you come to the store and pick it up. Which results in someone at the store having to monitor a computer for online sales coming in and then someone has to go retrieve it from the shelf or warehouse, bring it to the front and then still have to check you out by verifying you are the buyer which often takes longer than it would have taken if you had gone through a checkout lane and just paid for it yourself, especially if you had gone through self checkout in the store. It is moronic and the upper level corporate managers at these big chain stores just don't get it and come up with these stupid ideas to try to get some of the online sales.
While there are probably inefficient implementations of this new (to B&M sellers) process, you've grossly overstated the problems.

No one is sitting there 'monitoring a computer' for the orders like some eBay seller; a terminal alerts the CS or warehouse staff when an order comes in. It may be a bit of a wash between you trundling through the store, finding the item and checking out and a floor person doing most of that for you, but the advantage is that you know the item and total without leaving home, and most stores allow you to just go to the CS counter up front for pickup, which is far quicker than circling around to the checkout line.

I think you're missing the overall point, the future goals and the immediate situation of trying to blend two shopping modes. For one thing, there's absolutely no reason for you to use online order if you dislike it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products