Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 12:06 AM

156 posts, read 440,245 times

Advertisements

This is kind of a stupid/weird question but I suffer from social anxiety disorder, so this does matter to me.

I find it a pain to use the self-checkout at Walmart solely because there is never enough room in the bagging area for my bagged groceries. Usually, I have a full shopping cart and I still have groceries in my cart as the bagging area has become full. I typically go with another relative and even with their help, there's nothing that can be done about this problem. I don't want to put the bagged groceries on the ground either.

Has anyone ever used a two cart approach to using self-checkout? I was thinking of having the relative go grab an empty cart either before or after we enter into the self-checkout area. From there, all bagged groceries would just go into that cart. The only problem is that the self-checkout area is very small. Even when using the self-checkout with the conveyor belt, I still usually run into the same problems, at least for a short time.

Even though I hate self-checkout, I think I'm going to have to start using it again full time. Those idiot cashiers keep double scanning my groceries. I can't figure out if they're incredibly stupid or if they're running a scam. I've had it happen every time the last four times I went there. That's more than in the last four years!

I guess I'm asking because I'm worried the store employees might think we're stealing and also, I've never seen anyone do this there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:26 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
When the platform is full, I pull my bagged stuff off and put it back in the cart with my unchecked stuff. S**** 'em. This is a system flaw on their side, NOT my problem. If they don't like it, they can fix it. Mostly, I shop elsewhere.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:56 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Wherever I avail myself of self-checkout, I never have that many groceries to scan. And that includes Wegmans, Tops, and Target, BTW, none of which have enough room to accommodate carts, or even a full one, of merchandise at their individual checkout stations. Shoppers must know this, and stores shouldn't have to post a sign limiting items, when self-checkout is meant for speedy transactions.

If self-checkout doesn't suit shoppers' needs, a regular checkout line with a belt should be used.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:45 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Wherever I avail myself of self-checkout, I never have that many groceries to scan. And that includes Wegmans, Tops, and Target, BTW, none of which have enough room to accommodate carts, or even a full one, of merchandise at their individual checkout stations. Shoppers must know this, and stores shouldn't have to post a sign limiting items, when self-checkout is meant for speedy transactions.

If self-checkout doesn't suit shoppers' needs, a regular checkout line with a belt should be used.
You may have never been in a Walmart in the south. I've seen the entire store, packed with customers and having about twenty standard lanes only have TWO of those lanes staffed. Trying to blame the shoppers is horse manure. When people live in the country, miles from the nearest shopping, running down to a store to buy ten grocery items ain't goinna happen. The problem lies squarely on the shoulders of bean counters in Rogersville and poorly designed second generation self-checkout POS systems. Not. My. Problem.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:21 PM

792 posts, read 1,176,147 times
I guess Walmart doesn't want to pay the $8 an hour for cashiers.
I refuse to do their job with no pay.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawter View Post
I guess Walmart doesn't want to pay the $8 an hour for cashiers.
I refuse to do their job with no pay.
Our chain grocery stores have self-checkout as well, it's not just Walmart.

Is this just another opportunity to bash WM?

Old 05-01-2019, 08:36 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,046,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post
This is kind of a stupid/weird question but I suffer from social anxiety disorder, so this does matter to me.

I find it a pain to use the self-checkout at Walmart solely because there is never enough room in the bagging area for my bagged groceries. Usually, I have a full shopping cart and I still have groceries in my cart as the bagging area has become full. I typically go with another relative and even with their help, there's nothing that can be done about this problem. I don't want to put the bagged groceries on the ground either.

Has anyone ever used a two cart approach to using self-checkout? I was thinking of having the relative go grab an empty cart either before or after we enter into the self-checkout area. From there, all bagged groceries would just go into that cart. The only problem is that the self-checkout area is very small. Even when using the self-checkout with the conveyor belt, I still usually run into the same problems, at least for a short time.

Even though I hate self-checkout, I think I'm going to have to start using it again full time. Those idiot cashiers keep double scanning my groceries. I can't figure out if they're incredibly stupid or if they're running a scam. I've had it happen every time the last four times I went there. That's more than in the last four years!

I guess I'm asking because I'm worried the store employees might think we're stealing and also, I've never seen anyone do this there.
I haven't run into that issue because if the bagged area is full I place the bags in the cart and continue on with the rest of the items, plus I also use the conveyor belt counter to set items on.

I have found that at one of the chain grocery stores self checkout areas does not have the conveyor belt counter and it would be better if they followed Walmart's layout.

Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,103 times
The *major grocery store chain* I work for as a cashier installed 3 self-checkouts at the location I work at.

All 3 self-checkouts are staffed at 8 a.m. 7 days a week.

But they are not busy all the time.

So according to Senior level management, the self-checkout clerk has to literally approach customers waiting in a manned checkout line and have them come over to self-checkout so the customer can scan their groceries or the clerk can scan their groceries.

But then there is the customer who needs help with something at self-checkout, and the clerk is busy helping another customer scan their groceries.

So that customer has to wait for the clerk to help them.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
I use Kroger and they also have self checkouts. They have been redesigning all their stores (in this area) to make one of the self checkout lanes wider to accommodate larger cart purchases. The original design appeared to be for those with a few things but as more use the self checkout for larger cart purchases, they adjusted to service the customer. They also always have a cashier on each self checkout row with extra carts nearby to use in case your little bagging area gets full. Kroger seems to be quick in making positive customer service changes, but I'm sure all stores are doing it. Your Walmart store may just be waiting their turn to upgrade as I have seen some Walmarts with the expanded self checkout aisles like Kroger has.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:22 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej1 View Post

I put my bags full of groceries back into the same cart where I’m still taking out groceries. There’s no reason you can’t do this if there’s enough room in the cart. Perhaps you can also try another Walmart. My Walmart has two self check outs that have full length conveyor belt. If these weren’t there, I would go back to using self check out only when I didn’t have that many groceries. I do find it annoying when you have a full cart.

But if you have someone with you, there’s no reason they can’t bring another cart over while you are checking out either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products