Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 AM

531 posts, read 452,680 times

Advertisements

Share your stories about how 1) cashiers steal from the customers, and 2) steal from the company!

Trick #1 is starting a conversation with the customer while he's waiting for his change, in the hope that he will end the conversation and leave without getting his money.

Trick #2 is entering a code manually for an item not present in the customer's order. I don't know if there is some way the cashier can get this extra money or if they are trying to make their figures look normal after they rob the till.

Trick #3, of course, is scanning something twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:01 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,298,895 times
Only trick #1 is do-able in today's computer environment. Cash registers have to balance with what is rung up; if the product is entered into the register, there has to be money or paper in the till to account for it.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:27 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
I'd say it's pretty difficult for cashiers to steal from the company, as noted - they can't take money without running it through the register, and there's no user-level way to fudge what's rung up. Stealing items from the store, and various ways of bilking the customer in giving change are about it.

Of course, a cashier who is told to gouge customers, or has an ownership/profit stake, can do all the other things - ring up extra items, overcharge by not applying sale prices, etc. But that money is in the system, not his/her pocket.

I've actually had acquaintances who were grifters, card sharps and car thieves, and I learned a lot of interesting things from each of them. Many of their best moves are closely guarded secrets and not known to most writers and expose types. Every single advance in security opens new doors for theft. Every one.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:11 PM

At the franchised pizza place down the street, I have observed a cashier taking money and putting it in his pocket, only opening the drawer when he has to make change that he doesn't have. Also saying that the pizza the customer ordered is not on special (despite the sign saying it is) and overcharging for it. Most people don't notice if they're not given a register receipt or if the price shown is less than what they gave the cashier.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
At the franchised pizza place down the street, I have observed a cashier taking money and putting it in his pocket, only opening the drawer when he has to make change that he doesn't have. Also saying that the pizza the customer ordered is not on special (despite the sign saying it is) and overcharging for it. Most people don't notice if they're not given a register receipt or if the price shown is less than what they gave the cashier.
Flat-out stealing from the register and leaving it short is something else altogether, I think. It's outside of "cheating" as you defined it in the OP. Otherwise, you're describing change fraud, which is definitely "cheating."

Old 06-24-2019, 01:31 PM

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The pizza cashier was selling a pizza, not ringing it up, taking the money paid by the customer, and putting the money in his pocket instead of in the cash drawer.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The pizza cashier was selling a pizza, not ringing it up, taking the money paid by the customer, and putting the money in his pocket instead of in the cash drawer.
No, I got that. The problem here is that in many shops, if the 'za isn't rung up, no order ticket is generated for the back room. If the order is hand-written or there are ready-to-sell pies up front, it could be done. Although most people who pay cash are going to expect to pay some exact amount and get change, not have it just be $15 or $20 or whatever. And yes, the cashier could do a no-sale ring up and give change etc. and then pocket the difference, but this is all increasing levels of deception and difficulty.

Most fast-food places have locked this down: the order has to be entered in the system, and thus has to be paid for and accounted at the end of the day, and a total is displayed to the customer whether or not they take a receipt. That doesn't leave much room for pocketing a sale, leaving only outright theft of register money or product and change fraud.

Any place that uses a separate pay/order system is open to shenanigans, of course, but I don't remember the last time I saw anything but a mom'n'pop that didn't have an order-ticket system.

Old 06-24-2019, 02:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
On more than one occasion at locations throughout the country, I have had cashiers at the chain coffee shop wave me off when it is time to pay at the drive thru - as in that's ok, you don't have to pay.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
On more than one occasion at locations throughout the country, I have had cashiers at the chain coffee shop wave me off when it is time to pay at the drive thru - as in that's ok, you don't have to pay.
Someone probably paid it forward which is pretty common at drive thrus.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Share your stories about how 1) cashiers steal from the customers, and 2) steal from the company!

Trick #1 is starting a conversation with the customer while he's waiting for his change, in the hope that he will end the conversation and leave without getting his money.
Doesn't work with me, I always pay with a credit card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products