Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,885,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They do have bags of apples at the grocery store, but I don't know what that has to do with anything. The bagged apples are bagged by weight(like bagged onions, carrots, or potatoes) and have a barcode on them that gets scanned instead of a code that gets entered.

Grapes have a code on the bag as they're not bagged by weight.
They may but I have often seen the grapes weighted by me whether we talk where I currently live or back on Long Island, NY. I'm not saying it couldn't be prepackaged and stickers, but in my experience they are by the.pound, not by package.

The point is when you use the function button for items rather than.scanning, it creates a stock issue. Just as scanning a Pepsi three times when.you have Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Zero. I'm sure this happens from time to time but I wouldn't think but is common by any stretch, even in the not as user-friendly machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
So, okay, how long are things in a persons shopping cart while they are traipsing around the store, shopping? I used to spend an hour or more doing a large shop. Have yet to have anything spoil, melt or get warm before I got it home. Mid Summer here it's a good idea to bring an ice chest though because from the store to home can melt ice cream sometimes. Those carts they are filling are put into the walk in or freezer, whichever is appropriate, until they are picked up AND they are timed on their picking.
Typically a short period for frozen as I try to get them.last, especially in AZ summer. I am normally a fast shopper. Then again that might be the guy in me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 11:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The point is when you use the function button for items rather than.scanning, it creates a stock issue. Just as scanning a Pepsi three times when.you have Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Zero. I'm sure this happens from time to time but I wouldn't think but is common by any stretch, even in the not as user-friendly machines.
But at most grocery stores you can't scan an individual apple, you have to put in it's item code. It doesn't create stocking issues like your Pepsi example, unless you decide to put in a different item's code.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:35 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I've used the self service checkout at Frys at Grant & Swan in Tucson dozens of times. The difference is, I only buy 10 to 20 items per shopping trip. I buy fresh fruits and veggies, and have a list of all the 4 digit item codes that I normally buy, so I can manually enter them if needed. Bigger items like squash have a bar code on each one. The loose veggies don't. It is easier to use my list of 4 digit bar codes than trying to type in "broccoli" or "spinach".

I'm at my place in Germany for the summer, and most local stores have no self checkout. Before you go to checkout, you must self weigh each item of un-packaged fruits and veggies. You pick the item off of a photo menu, then the scale weighs it and instantly prints out a bar code sticker. You paste that on the plastic bag of fruit or veggies, for each type of non-packaged fruit or veggie you are buying. With this method, the check out lines move fast. However, the cashier does not bag your groceries. You have to quickly put everything back into your cart, pay the bill (cash or credit) and move out of the way, then put your groceries into your own bags at a separate bagging counter. Then return the cart to the cart parking area to get your cart deposit of 1 Euro back.
Sounds almost exactly like Aldi here in the states (except for the weighing and labeling). Their checkers are super fast and even with a line you don't wait long.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:12 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,304,488 times
I never use self check-out. I figure if I'm giving the store MY money, they can give me a little customer service. If they can't or won't I'll take my business elsewhere.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:13 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Those of you who deplore self-checkouts- how many of you buy on-line? That's pretty much the ultimate self-checkout except that someone else gets the items and delivers them to you. You go on-line, you may do some product research (rather than asking a sales person in front of you for advice), you input your address and credit card info (although I realize that some places may store it so no need to re-enter). You've also given them a boatload of information about what items you looked at, what you actually put in your cart, and your past buying habits. (I found out last month that I can download the details of my past purchases on Amazon for the last 10 years. Creepy.) Do you ever think of the checkout clerks whose jobs you are eliminating?

And how many of you go to shoe retailers, choose boxes from the stacks, try them on, then carry your purchases to the front? When I was a kid, you sat in a seat, a clerk measured your feet and then brought shoes from the store room in the back and put them on your feet. If that were brought back would you buy shoes that way?

"Self-service" is not going away except for very high-end goods and services.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,313,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

And how many of you go to shoe retailers, choose boxes from the stacks, try them on, then carry your purchases to the front? When I was a kid, you sat in a seat, a clerk measured your feet and then brought shoes from the store room in the back and put them on your feet. If that were brought back would you buy shoes that way?
Well, the two shoe stores I went to this weekend work as you describe, i.e., the clerk brings the shoes, fits them to you, provides advice, etc., etc. The only place I've ever bought "footwear" without a shoe store clerk, is an el-cheapo place like Wal-Mart where I've bought cheap flip-flops and stuff like that, where the fit isn't really all that important. So I currently DO buy shoes "that way" and by the way the stores where I recently bought shoes "that way" seem to be doing a thriving business.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
I love self checkout and prioritize using places that have them. I want to get in and out and back to my life as quick as possible.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:47 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,509,805 times
We avoid self checkouts in order to prevent the total change of robot over human, we fear may happen.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:19 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, the two shoe stores I went to this weekend work as you describe, i.e., the clerk brings the shoes, fits them to you, provides advice, etc., etc. The only place I've ever bought "footwear" without a shoe store clerk, is an el-cheapo place like Wal-Mart where I've bought cheap flip-flops and stuff like that, where the fit isn't really all that important. So I currently DO buy shoes "that way" and by the way the stores where I recently bought shoes "that way" seem to be doing a thriving business.
Wow- I'm surprised. The last time I bought shoes from someone who brought them out for me to try on was maybe 7 years ago and the pair I bought cost over $300. (Made in Italy, very durable, still wear and love them.)

But I have a guilty confession: I then went to the manufacturer's site and, knowing what size worked for me, ordered off the sales on the Web site from then on. They may have been what was "in" the previous season but I don't need the "must-haves" for whatever season we're in. I haven't bought any since I retired 5 years ago; I don't get dressed up that often. I mostly wear out my Birkenstock sandals and I order them off Birkenstock's site. Those are made in Germany; I try very hard to avoid Made in China.

Eventually the store closed down.

Old 07-08-2019, 09:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepy View Post
We avoid self checkouts in order to prevent the total change of robot over human, we fear may happen.

Might as well get used to it because that's the way it seems to be going. Everything I've read, as to why they are going this way, is that the customers like them. Seems to me it's about 50-50, either love or hate them.

I was curious about the cost of those scanners so looked it up. It cost about $30,000 each to buy and install one. My store had 17 of them. How does that break down with what they pay a human cashier? It's more than a years wages for the average employee. And then there's the constant job of keeping them running.

Walmart has already started using robots for inventory and stocking. Also for maintenance. I don't hear many complaints from stores that have them but nearly everyone is in fear of losing their job. Puts a lot of pressure on them and, believe me, working there is plenty of pressure already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products