Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,424,368 times

Advertisements

89 Riding Mower Brands, 38 U.S. Mower Manufactures, | The Complete List Of Who Makes What Riding Mower, Lawn Tractor, Garden Tractor, Zero Turns

This article lists most of the riding mower, lawn tractor, garden tractor and zero turn mower brands sold here in the United States and to the best of my ability lists who owns them for the 2018 model year.

https://todaysmower.com/riding-mower-brands/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 11:08 AM

10,585 posts, read 12,014,667 times
Help please!

Any recommendations for a CORDED (electric) lawn mower that will last 40 years!....like my old Sears Craftsman[/b]

I have a small yard so I'm looking for easy to push, 18" blade span (deck housing about 21-22"). Mulching or bag. Self-propelled walk behind.

My Craftsman Model 900 370510 is decades old.
It's been out in the elements unprotected for years and we've used it all this time.

Do they even make them like they used to.....to last, I mean?

I'm thinking that surely there've been new innovations in lawn mowers in 40 years that might make the new mowers lighter, easier to push, easier to change the bag, better mulching capabilities, etc.

BUT, I'm having a devil of a time trusting the online reviews I see.

Mostly because I don't know if these reviews are smartly veiled paid ads posing as objective reviews.
But also the ones I see highly rated are brands I don't know (Greenworks, Sun Joe, Worx, Earthwise)...

...that haven't been around as long as the old-fogey brands I know: Toro, Honda, Craftsman, Kobalt, Ryobi, ....and Black and Decker (which some people haven't rated that high...so now I'm wary of B&D).

Old 07-11-2022, 03:42 AM

2,600 posts, read 3,117,881 times
I see this is a couple of years old and the mower market is maddening.

I just bought a 36 inch Yard Machine tractor from Wal-Mart. Smaller tractors are increasingly hard to find and cost more than cars used to, in fact more than some houses used to cost.

Though made by MTD, I distrust anything these days with a Craftsman label. Craftsman used to be good but is mostly junk any more as far as their tools.

I looked far and wide for a mower. The bigger name brands nearly all start at 42 inches, a little big for my yard. The few 30 inch riders were not rated well for ditch banks and usually can't mow in reverse. Otherwise, I would have bought one. Simplicity has a 38 inch tractor but I will never touch that brand again. I had one from them that was nothing but trouble. High price and paid a lot every year for service that didn't hold up. Dealer admitted at one time that it was a troublesome model but wouldn't give any relief on it. Wanted to sell me a new one. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Battery models have been coming out for awhile but they are high and replacement batteries are high. Plus, not rate well for ditch banks again, best I have seen.

Best rider I ever had was a Husky from Home Depot. Got about 10 years from it but it was out of production when I needed another one. I know that story well with many products. "If I get to likin' somethin', it ain't around long", sorry Josie Wales. Then had the Simplicity, an expensive piece of junk. Then bought a rebuilt Toro Wheel Horse and got about 4 years out of it. Some trouble but better than Simplicity.

Hoping this Yard Machines will do ok for a few years. Not the greatest mower but does the job so far and didn't cost like the big names. About $1800 all told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products