Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2019, 03:28 PM

202 posts, read 1,018,148 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have a Kirby Heritage II vacuum cleaner. I think it was designed in the late 1980's and is an excellent vacuum cleaner with VERY powerful suction. However, one of things I hate about it is how VERY heavy it is to lift and carry around (especially up and down stairs, which is a very common occurrence). So, I'd like to get a different vacuum cleaner to replace it with that's almost nearly as powerful in suction power, yet significantly and considerably lighter in weight so I can carry it around without breaking my back. I'd also like to find a make and model that has new replacement dirt bags that are very easy to find, common and widely available for a reasonable price. According to the Wikipedia entry about Kirby vacuum cleaners, it states that Hoover, Eureka and Bissell were Kirby's primary competition over the decades. So, I was thinking that those companies might be a good place to start looking for a replacement model. Other than that, I have no idea which model to look at or look for because between those three companies alone, there must be hundreds and hundreds of different models to chose from. Also, I don't want a model that's an antique museum piece, nor a brand new, cutting edge model that was just released last week either (with the accompanying no replacement dirt bag availability either). So I'd prefer a model somewhere in between these two extremes. So, any suggestions or help on a model to look at would be appreciated.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 03:36 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
I'd keep the Kirby for downstairs and get something light for upstairs.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:08 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
Why are you looking for a used vacuum cleaner?

Old 09-18-2019, 10:59 PM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
OP look into the Oreck handheld canister vacuums. We have one and it's great.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=oreck+com...l_3iipn3vrig_e

Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 AM

30,432 posts, read 21,248,616 times
Get a Ball.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:34 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
If you can find a janitorial supply company, they often have relatively lightweight upright vacs at a reasonable cost. In commercial use they are considered disposable, but even with that abuse last a considerable length of time. I forget the exact brand, but there was one style with a chromed head and red bag that was ubiquitous and a workhorse. We put them through serious abuse in movie theatre cleanup.

Old 09-19-2019, 07:59 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you can find a janitorial supply company, they often have relatively lightweight upright vacs at a reasonable cost. In commercial use they are considered disposable, but even with that abuse last a considerable length of time. I forget the exact brand, but there was one style with a chromed head and red bag that was ubiquitous and a workhorse. We put them through serious abuse in movie theatre cleanup.
I think it was a Eureka -- that's what I had. I was a cleaning contractor for awhile for landlords back in college. That Eureka lasted almost 25 years and went through some serious abuse.

Today, I have one of the light Hoover pet vacs, but I also have mostly hardwood floors, with two large area rugs. It does fine for that.

Old 09-19-2019, 09:01 PM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I think it was a Eureka -- that's what I had. I was a cleaning contractor for awhile for landlords back in college. That Eureka lasted almost 25 years and went through some serious abuse.

Today, I have one of the light Hoover pet vacs, but I also have mostly hardwood floors, with two large area rugs. It does fine for that.
Yep. I think you are right. IIRC, the only issue that was common to them was the belt would break. In the early models it was round, and in the later ones it went to a flat belt. The beater bar got covered in schmutz, but a razor blade to cut hair and some patience rejuvenated it.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:58 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,188,904 times
I've have really good luck buying used/new vacuums at Goodwill online auction site. I've purchased a Dyson that was new for $100. It was a older model but new in box. They are kind of heavy. A shark is a good vacuum and not as heavy.

A recent purchase for a very light weight but great little vacuum is the Shark Rocket, called a stick vacuum. I bought one for mom too and she loves it. Great for using on stairs and goes under furniture a regular one can't get under. They have really good suction too, don't let the category of stick vacuum fool you, it's pretty powerful. I got a corded one because I don't want to deal with batteries. But can see the advantage though of no cord. I bought both from Goodwill online. One was never used (new in box) the other slightly used, I think maybe was a floor model perhaps.

shopgoodwill.com

Be sure to check item pictures and item description. They don't take returns so use best judgement before buying, and check shipping charges on each which you may want to bid on and figure that into price. Some Goodwill stores use too expensive shipping.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 09-22-2019 at 01:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products