Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times

Advertisements

You can go to Chinatown and buy a rice cooker made by Panasonic or Taiwan company,cost you around $25 for a small one,the fancy Japanese one would cost in the hundreds,it comes with a small plate where you can use it to steam or heat ,placed on top of the rice when it is almost done,anything you want to warm or cook like egg custard.
For salty duck egg you have to add it before you start the rice cooker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 11:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
The best part about a rice cooker is that the rice comes out perfectly every time and you don't have to stand at the stove making sure it doesn't boil over, burn or get gummy. Of course if someone wants to take the time to master the art with a saucepan and get it right every time, that's their choice.

I've watched quite a bit of Korean Dramas (love those soaps!) and everyday Koreans always seem to have a rice cooker in their kitchens and as part of their meals. I'll take my cue from people who incorporate rice into most of their meals. It's hardly a new "gizmo"
The Korean immigrants -usually a couple who runs a grocery store,closes late in the evening,they always use the rice cooker to cook their rice for dinner and heat up a casserole of meat and veggies prepared on their dayoff,hard working people.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:30 AM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Your experience is like mine, cooking brown rice in the rice cooker took forever, but the final product was quite good.

I do prefer to let the rice steam for a bit with a folded kitchen towel between lid and bowl for a few minutes.

I use a 30 minute cook time for brown basmati.
I cook brown rice most of the time and the water to rice ratio is different for brown rice than for white but the brown rice in my Zujirushis cooks just as fast as the white. Also, it's really important to wash the rice in a strainer first.

Old 04-10-2021, 01:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
I cook brown rice most of the time and the water to rice ratio is different for brown rice than for white but the brown rice in my Zujirushis cooks just as fast as the white. Also, it's really important to wash the rice in a strainer first.
You might have a newer cooker than I had. Mine dated from about 2000, I believe. Brown rice took a very long time to cook. It came out beautifully, however.

Old 04-10-2021, 02:56 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,969,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
You might have a newer cooker than I had. Mine dated from about 2000, I believe. Brown rice took a very long time to cook. It came out beautifully, however.
You're right - mine are about 10 years old

Old 04-10-2021, 07:56 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
There's a recent article in Consumer Reports comparing rice cookers with instant pots. They say that rice cookers do a better job of cooking rice.

I put away my cheap-o rice cooker when I got my Crockpot Multi-Cooker (clone of Instant Pot). It pressure cooks brown rice pretty well in about 30 minutes plus about 5 minutes warmup time and another 5 minutes pressure let-off time at the end.

I like the fact that the pressure cooker needs way less water than cooking in a rice cooker or stovetop (I used to cook rice in a pot on the stovetop for many years). For brown rice, it's one cup water for one cup rice. Easy peasy.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:26 PM

84 posts, read 55,103 times
I had the Aroma Professional rice cooker (if you look on Amazon, it's their top seller and easy to find). It was great--so great, I ended up using it all the time and eating too much rice.

I can cook perfectly good rice on the stovetop whenever I need it. It's less convenient that way, but my waistline tells me it's for the best. So I gave the cooker to my favorite ex, who works heavy construction jobs and can eat lots of rice without blowing up, but can't cook it right to save his life. He has since informed me that I am the Best Ex-Girlfriend Ever, so I take it he's happy with it.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:25 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
The best part about a rice cooker is that the rice comes out perfectly every time and you don't have to stand at the stove making sure it doesn't boil over, burn or get gummy.
"Perfect every time" -- how many things in life can we say that about?

Old 04-10-2021, 10:30 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
I have an old model Hitachi rice cooker/food steamer. (the Chime-O-Matic) I use it because it makes perfect rice every time. I use brown rice. I have an interest in the Instant Pot, but not for rice, since I already have that covered with my Hitachi. If I didn't have a rice cooker/steamer already, I'd investigate the Instant Pot. But I gotta tell you, I'm not the best cook, but I don't think there's ever been a time that the rice wasn't perfect or close to it (except once when I forgot to rinse the rice beforehand).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Hit...sAAOSweN5gZgXf

Old 04-10-2021, 11:55 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
I recently bought a Pars rice cooker because I wanted to learn Persian cooking, especially the crunchy rice layer (tahdig) at the bottom of the pot. My boss told me about them - apparently all Iranians use them. If you get one, don't bother with the manual. It's laughably bad. There are much better instructions in the Amazon reviews.

https://parsrice.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products